"False" billing by freeholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"False" billing by freeholder

Just interested to see if anyone thinks there's anything i can do about this:

About a year ago the freeholder of the building i am a leaseholder in (that contains two flats and a restaurant on the ground floor) commissioned a Fire Risk Assessment (after years of my requesting one be carried out). He has ignored 90% of the recommendations but did proceed with one stipulation which was to fit emergency lighting. I have now received the bill for my share - magically just below the S20 limit at £235. No receipt for the work has been supplied (which I will request) however he is claiming that the work was carried out by the building company his son owns so of course the receipt will just show whatever it needs to show and in reality the work will have been sub-contracted at likely half the cost (the building company has no employees and the son is certainly not a builder). Is there anything at all i can do about this or I just have to pay? Its obviously not a fortune but its such an obvious scam that i want to find a way of disputing it. My only other thought is that all the fire safety work should anyway have been carried out in one go as part of a S20 (which i told him at the time that he went ahead and fitted the lighting) and splitting it out like this is not right. Needless to say the job they did was pretty rubbish as well (just cable boxing running down the walls so they didnt have drill in to the wall).

Thanks for any advice.

So have you asked for and read the fire risk assessment? What does it say is a priority? Serve a Section 21/Section 22 request on landlord, get hold of copy of the original receipt, are they VAT registered? Check the receipt out then tell them your findings...You could take to FTT but need to do a cost comparison as going to FTT costs money...What do you want to gain from this?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X