Ladder put on my balcony without consent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ladder put on my balcony without consent

Hi. I have the leasehold of a flat in a converted house. One of my neighbours wants the communal aerial to work again and so the managing agent contracted someone to do it. This bloke came today and was supposed to access the roof via scaffolding . He did this until he got to my floor where he came onto my balcony and put up his ladder there without asking. He caused a deep scratch to the wooden decking and two of the decks appear to be further apart. I am really cross. Do I have reason and should I see some kind of acknowledgement of this - or am I knackered and being unreasonable because of lockdown. Thanks.

Write to the contractor (not the managing agent) and ask/demand restoration of the damage or compensation to get it fixed yourself, they should have insurance to cover public liability.

Take photos of the damage, and the ladder if it is still there.

You may want to wait until the work is completed before making a full claim, just in case there is any more damage.
    But it may also be a good idea to contact them now to let them know that you are not a happy bunny.

Comment

The balcony is not necessarily in your demise (even though you have sole regular access). Nor is the flooring necessarily yours. What does your lease say?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
        by Tim_woods
        Hi All,

I have a leaseholder that constantly refuses to pay service charges and ground rent. I’ve had endless court cases but they are slow and I’ve then struggled to get court fees back which have been added to everyone’s service charges including mine!

I’ve decided...
        03-08-2020, 14:54 PM
      • Reply to freeholder snuggling to recover arrears
        by Jericho
        We (RMC) have a leaseholder with long-standing service charge arrears even after a CCJ for an unpaid money claim agreement.

The only option left is to go down the Section 146 (Law of Property Act 1925) forfeiture route. Our lease states the leaseholder is liable to pay legal costs arising...
        04-08-2020, 18:04 PM
        by Tim_woods
        Illegally? Not sure why this would be illegal but yes I would assume they would add this to his mortgage.

Unless you have ideas of how to force him to pay without another drawn out court case?...
        04-08-2020, 12:36 PM
      • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
        by divadee
        We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
        04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
        by jpkeates
        Do you think the mortgage lender will pay the arrears from their own funds or illegally add the amount to the leaseholder's mortgage balance?...
        04-08-2020, 09:57 AM
      • Section 20 process
        by Seluoy2
        I am one of 6 leaseholders in a block of 6 flats. We have had historic issues with the roof, our Community Interest Company changed from one managing agent (with a public history of failings) to another, both have carried out poor repairs in the past.

Before Christmas the current managing...
        04-08-2020, 09:05 AM
      • Reply to Section 20 process
        by Seluoy2
        Thanks for the response.

Answer 1 clarifies that, seems a bit of a loop hole.

As for 2, they put a scaffold up, did no temporary repair, just left the roof as was with the water ingress remaining for over 2 weeks, that hardly seems an emergency response.
        04-08-2020, 09:43 AM
      • Reply to Section 20 process
        by AndrewDod
        1. There is no law saying that
        2. It sounds as if that is exactly what they did
        04-08-2020, 09:34 AM
      • Reply to Newbie Freeholder
        by Anna1985
        Hi, yes we know that we need to send the notification re change of freeholder.
        ​​​​​​

Yes, that's where the caveat lies - ideally we would like non participating leaseholder to sell.

But one of co freeholders would like to move sooner (thank you, Chancellor)...
        04-08-2020, 08:49 AM
      • Newbie Freeholder
        by Anna1985
        Hi all,

just wonder if somebody can advise as to how to approach the situation.

Property is in the bad condition, due to previous freeholder having no interest in the property.

One of the leaseholders decided not to do any property upkeep unless there is a threat...
        03-08-2020, 13:36 PM
      Working...
      X