Can I let out my flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I let out my flat?

I live in a ground floor flat. I have a share of the freehold and also have the lease etc. There’s only me and upstairs.
    do I need permission from the other freeholder to let? The lease agreement is confusing. Also will the new tenants have to sign with upstairs so they follow the lease?
    also upstairs has wooden flooring and refuses to change it even though the lease states carpet, underlay or other suitable flooring. They keep saying that wooden flooring is suitable. It’s caused problems due to noise.
    I have attached a load of photos from the lease.
    thank you in advance!
    Sorry if this is repeated from other postings.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is not legal advice on the requirements in your lease.

1. If your freehold was owned by a third party company, the you would be asked to follow the terms under the lease and probably pay dearly for subletting consent.

2. If you and the upstairs leaseholder are the joint owners of the freehold title, then both of you could have a meeting and agree to waive some of the terms of the lease.

3. If you already know the upstairs flat leasehold is in breach of the lease due to having wooden floors, then its unlikely to result in a serious problem if you do sublet to one family under 1 year AST agreement with voluntary break at 6 months .

All the upstairs leaseholder can do is ask you for the subletting be terminated for breech of the lease.

Comment

I would suggest that, as you are a joint freeholder in a property with only two leaseholds flats, the most sensible thing would be for you to negotiate with "upstairs". Although this will partly depend on how much you want to push the 'flooring situation'.

Your lease does seem to allow subletting, but requires the sublet to be registered with the 'freeholder's solicitors' and the payment of some sort of a fee (that part of section 3.17 is cut off in your photo).
        It also seems that the lease requires any subtenants to sign a covenant that requires them to adhere to the requirements of the lease. All restrictions within your lease should be included in the tenancy agreement that you agree with any subtenants anyway, even if there is no requirement to sign a covenant with the freeholder, because if your subtenants breach the lease the freeholder can potentially use this against the leaseholder.
        Proper legal advice before going ahead with a sublet is recommended.

You might be able to reach an agreement with "upstairs" to set aside some requirements of the lease, but if you do so you should get this in writing after taking legal advice on what the agreement should say (it needs to hold if the upstairs freeholder sells up and moves out. It will also mea that you will be unable to change your mind about anything that you have agreed (e.g. if you agree that the wooden floors are OK, you will not then be able to change your mind if you find that no one stays in your flat longer than the minimum term, and no one will buy the property, due to complaints of noise from above).

Your best option is probably to follow the requirements of the lease to the letter (once confirmed by a suitably qualified solicitor) and take any sublet registration costs into account when deciding how much rent to charge - if the local market is sufficient for these costs to be covered (and if the market can't cover the costs that you would have, then subletting the property potentially isn't worth trying anyway).

Comment

So if I wanted to rent out my flat I would definitely need an agreement from the other freeholder/leaseholder? Or at least something in writing?
          would just sending the leaseholder/freeholder a signed copy (from the new renters) of the lease be enough?
          sorry for the questions, I know I will need to consult a solicitor but its good to get a bit of background understanding fi
          Also it says on another posting that freeholders/leaseholders don’t need to give permission to rent out the property, but the lease seems to say that a mutual new ‘contract’ needs to be made between any new ‘tenants’ and leaseholder/tenants to ensure that the lease restrictions are followed.

Each of the tenants hereby further covenants with the Landlord and as a separate covenant with each of the other tenants that if he shall assign or sublet the whole or any part of the flat he shall procure the assignee or sublessee (as the case maybe) simultaneously with the execution of the transfer or sublease to execute this deed and the provisions hereof shall read and construed and shall take effect as at the several respective dates at which the tenants shall sign their names and affix their seals accordingly.’

Comment

The clause you have posted really applies to sale of the flat.

As 50% freeholder, I think you can decide to sublet without requiring your tenants to enter into a separate covenants with other 50% freeholder.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
              The clause you have posted really applies to sale of the flat.
              The quote clause specifically mentions subletting, so is not solely regarding sale of the flat.

Comment

The 50% freeholder has right to waive any terms under the lease for his own flat such as stop paying ground rent.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                  The 50% freeholder has right to waive any terms under the lease for his own flat such as stop paying ground rent.
                  how is that possible? Surely the lease is there for a reason and should be followed. I looked it up online and even if you own a share of the freehold the lease must be followed. Yes both freeholders can decide if not to pay ground rent etc but surely assignment of the lease through sale or sublet it should be followed. This is the reason I’m asking as I don’t want to be caught out and have any problems in the future.

Comment

I suggest you prepare 2 copies of a draft agreement for signing by the joint freeholders:

We , Tom Jones and John Smith are the joint freeholders of 88 Garden Road, Toy Town and leaseholders of the two leasehold flats .

We have agreed to the following changes to the lease :

1. No annual ground rent shall be demanded from each flat.

2. Annual Maintenance repairs to the building shall be contributed 50% by each leaseholder . The annual contribution may include a reserve fund for external painting at 5 yearly intervals.

3. Buildings Insurance shall be contributed 50% by each leaseholders. The policy holder will include names of both leaseholders.

4. Subletting under one year AST agreement is permitted without requiring the rental tenant to enter into covenants direct with freeholders.

5. In the event of sale of flat, the costs of transferring 50% share in the freehold title to new leaseholder shall be paid by the departing leaseholder.

Signed by Tom Jones and John Smith.

Dated 26 July 2020.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold confusion
                      by davetg
                      30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                      24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
                    • Reply to Freehold confusion
                      by davetg
                      Thanks for the reply - both flats have separate 999 year leases so i guess the freehold is of little value. I will look in to TR1.

I have always insured my flat separately and assumed the other flat was doing the same - is this a problem?...
                      24-05-2022, 14:48 PM
                    • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                      by jazzythumper
                      Thanks, I’m not sure that has been provided, if it hasn’t can we force them to produce this?

Would it be a simple case of sending a letter with a timescale to respond and if not received followed by the magistrates route?...
                      24-05-2022, 14:39 PM
                    • Old managing agents accounts
                      by jazzythumper
                      Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                      20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                    • Reply to Freehold confusion
                      by Section20z
                      1.He will need to sign a TR1 and transfer title to you but it really needs to be done through a solicitor or land registry won't be happy with his ID.
                      2. If you have a separate lease on your flat then freehold is not worth much, if not then it's worth what the flats worth at least .
                      3. Cost...
                      24-05-2022, 14:37 PM
                    • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                      by Stu1020
                      Thank you for the response Macromia this is a useful conversation.

I can see why the current proportion might be justified, I have been paying 38% towards the buildings insurance the last 4/5 years. However, my dispute is now arising because we are unable to move forward with existing covenants,...
                      24-05-2022, 08:55 AM
                    • Reply to Section 20
                      by Anna1985
                      The driveway/front garden partially belongs to the freeholder and partially leaseholder. The freeholder's maintenance covered by leaseholders, the leaseholder must keep the property in the state of repair but won't do....
                      24-05-2022, 08:23 AM
                    • Reply to RTM Hand Over Issues
                      by Section20z
                      We lost a fair bit of reserve fund when we went RTM but consoled ourselves with the knowledge they would no longer be ripping us off annually.
                      24-05-2022, 07:59 AM
                    • S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Hi LZ Community

Just wondering if anyone's had/having any issues with S20 and allowing leaseholder 30 days to review estimates, raise concerns etc.

Building material prices have fluctuated massively since covid and brexit.
                      with a combination of Brexit, impact from russia/ukraine...
                      23-05-2022, 14:42 PM
                    • Reply to S20 - Quotes not valid for long enough for 30 day consult
                      by Flatman78
                      Thanks Gordon999

You can see from above reply to Macromia that's your comment wouldn't be relevant to me. there is no managing agent. It's just me (FH) and LH in upstairs flat.
                      Thanks for taking time to reply though....
                      23-05-2022, 20:29 PM
                    Working...
                    X