Unauthorised lease variation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried that Gordon the broker refused they said they will only give the information to the Principal and even RICS guide states they need to be transparent

Comment

Macromia,

You don't happen to be a managing agent yourself do you? as you seem to put forward that managing agents can do stuff when they cant as I have said earlier unless you are FCA authorized or RICS members you cant claims handle or take commissions. That comes straight from the horses mouth the FCA.

Comment

Another angle I thought about under due diligence should the insurance brokers be doing deals with non FCA members...may report the brokers to the FCA as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
          But there is nothing to stop you demanding the broker to reveal how much commission is paid to your managing agent or freeholder.
          Originally posted by Stacker View Post
          Tried that Gordon the broker refused they said they will only give the information to the Principal and even RICS guide states they need to be transparent
          There is no legal obligation for the broker to provide any specific information about a policy to anyone except the policyholder (or in some circumstances relevant law enforcement bodies).
          If you wish to know anything about insurance policies that apply to your leasehold property you will have to request the information from the managing agent and/or freeholder. Managing agents are supposed to disclose any commission that they make (if they get anything at all) but I believe that this is 'best practice' rather than a legal obligation, and freeholders currently don't have any obligation to tell you anything about commissions.

​​​​​​​
          You don't happen to be a managing agent yourself do you? as you seem to put forward that managing agents can do stuff when they cant as I have said earlier unless you are FCA authorized or RICS members you cant claims handle or take commissions. That comes straight from the horses mouth the FCA.
          No, I'm not a managing agent. In my experience, managing agents are generally pretty much useless and don't even come close to providing value for money for leaseholders. Unfortunately, current laws allow leaseholders to be fleeced because they are mainly influenced by organisations that protect the people who make money off leaseholders.

​​​​​​​
          Another angle I thought about under due diligence should the insurance brokers be doing deals with non FCA members...may report the brokers to the FCA as well.
          Since your original, vaguely worded query didn't mention insurance commissions or insurance claims, I don't think that Gordon should have even brought up FCA authorisation - it seems to have led you off on what seems to be a pointless tangent that I doubt has any hope of getting you any sort of worthwhile result.

A few additional questions for you (even though you have still made no attempt to provide the information that I asked for earlier (without which you cannot be given appropriate advice):

1. Do you have any evidence that a commission has been paid to either the managing agent, or the freeholder, as a result of insurance being placed with this particular broker?
          2. Are you aware of any recent claims having been made on the insurance, or any claims that are currently being made?
          3. Do you have any evidence that the managing agents have been directly involved with any negotiations about the insurance (whether while the insurance was being arranged, or as part of the handling of any claim), or any evidence that they advised the freeholders about the arrangement of the policy or how any claim should be settled?

If the answer to questions 1 & 3 is "no", you have nothing to go to the FCA with.

Comment

Macromia I sense we will have to agree to disagree on some points as you are frankly coming across as a defender of the freeholder, I wonder if you are a freeholder, member director yourself? You are entitled to your opinions however that is all they are opinions. I tend to go to the authorities such as the Financial Ombudsman, RICS, Property Ombudsman and a solicitor I would rely more on their advice including LEASE than your opinion. So I will leave you on that note as I have also been looking at past Tribunal papers and I have been fortunate to find as you have done in the past good case law which supports my case.

Comment

I sense we will have to agree to disagree on some points as you are frankly coming across as a defender of the freeholder, I wonder if you are a freeholder, member director yourself?
              Agreeing to disagree is something that people should only do if the subject is a matter of personal opinion. It shouldn't be considered a 'solution' when either the relevant facts are unknown or one side refuse to accept them.
              In this case you haven't provided the information that is necessary to answer your queries. If you would do so, it is possible that I might agree that you have a case that might be successful in a court or tribunal (and, no, I am not a freeholder, or a director on freehold company - and nothing I have posted is in defence of freeholders).

You are entitled to your opinions however that is all they are opinions.
              Um, yes.
              That's what you get as replies on forums. Most of the people who reply like to give informed opinions - but that requires the provision of relevant information relating to the query by the person asking for help.

I tend to go to the authorities such as the Financial Ombudsman, RICS, Property Ombudsman and a solicitor I would rely more on their advice including LEASE than your opinion.
              Any advice that 'authorities' might provide relies as much on the provision of the correct information as advice on a forum does. If you provide incomplete detail, or ask the wrong question, the advice that you get will not be appropriate, and may even be inappropriate.

Without meaning to be rude, if you aren't going to post the information that is necessary in order for questions to be answered properly in a forum, and don't respect the opinions that you get as replies anyway because you prefer to go to 'authorities', why waste your own time, and the time of anyone who might reply, by posting forum questions in the first place?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• on -going leaks
                by finest1
                Hi All,

The flat upstair has been leaking for some years. The ceiling soon partially collapsed stopping me fro m letting the flat. The leaseholder upstairs kept claiming that the leak was not coming from her flat despite sending them photos of her wet subfloor. I sent a letter claiming...
                18-05-2022, 17:09 PM
              • Reply to on -going leaks
                by JackBluebird
                ah i understand, sorry for confusion. As far as I'm aware, there is absolutely no reason to let anyone representing another leaseholder into your apartment. are you obliged to? no.... will your claim hurt if you dont? almost certinaly not... As i understand it she is essentially challenging the survey...
                19-05-2022, 00:17 AM
                by finest1
                Thank you for your response. Sorry if I didn't make myself clear but the freeholder has already sent a surveyor and they are satisfied that the leak has been caused from upstairs.

It's the leaseholder who wants to send their own surveyor or architect, and has refused to allow their insurance...
                18-05-2022, 19:52 PM
              • Levy
                by scot22
                What details must be given in an invoice for a levy ?
                18-05-2022, 17:43 PM
              • Reply to Levy
                by scot22
                Thanks for reply but doesn't really matter. Issue is what must leaseholders be told about reason and how it is being spent.
                18-05-2022, 19:45 PM
              • Reply to Levy
                by Tipper
                Can you expand...levy for what?
                18-05-2022, 19:12 PM
                by JackBluebird
                On one hand people may argue, the freeholder has rights to access and assess the property in accordance with the lease whenever it is reasonable or essential to do so. However if you initiate the disrepair protocol you will have much more leverage, but it is not for bluffing...

18-05-2022, 18:17 PM
              • Reply to Insurance
                by jazzythumper
                I’ve managed to get the refund from the previous insurers, which is good, over £1,000 that we wouldn’t have had otherwise in our funds.
                18-05-2022, 15:51 PM
              • Insurance
                by jazzythumper
                When the freehold of our building was sold, the old freeholder cancelled the buildings insurance which we had paid for in advance through our service charge.

A new policy was taken out by the new freeholder. A refund for the previous policy has been given to the previous freeholder but...
                03-04-2022, 20:24 PM
              • Breaches of Model Articles
                by Starlane
                ram Our articles require a quorum for board and for shareholder meetings. It has come to light after the event that a director has called a meeting on their own and appointed another director, the meeting was inquorate and no members were made aware that this was going on, additionally no meeting has...
                06-05-2022, 16:02 PM
              Working...
              X