Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold & Ground rent

Hi,

Freeholder is a group of private individuals, not a company.

If the freehold starts collecting ground rent - it is income and should be declared.

Is there a chance to expense it - not to pay tax?

also, the demand for ground rent must be made against all stakeholders or it is up to freeholder?

Thanks

Yes it is taxable as any other income. Expenses wholly and necessarily in connection with the ground rent collection business are allowable.
    There is specific legislation requiring that demand for payment of ground rent must follow a statutory format a s166 notice; essentially so that the leaseholder knows for which period he is being asked to pay. If you possibly can, get your leaseholders to sign a bank standing order mandate for the amount payable at the appropriate frequency so that the administration is not burdensome

The format of a s166 notice is here
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../schedule/made

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
      Yes it is taxable as any other income. Expenses wholly and necessarily in connection with the ground rent collection business are allowable.
      Thank you, so basically stamps, envelopes etc.
      Or just do not do it. Or change the lease for the freehold to extend leasehold and make ground rent peppercorn.

Comment

as far as changes in the leases are concerned, let the lessee come to you. Change cannot be unilateral, both parties have to enter into a variation. If they do exercise the right to claim an extension to the lease, the rent will statutorily drop to a peppercorn. One advantage of having a nominal ground rent payable is that it means that the leaseholder has to remain in touch with the the lessor

Comment

Thank you, there 3 leaseholders, 2 are freehold owners and 1 is not.

So basically trying to have as little hassle as possible for ourselves while maintaining freehold value ( 3 rd leaseholder has a lease around 60 years).

Eventually they would need to extend the lease...

Comment

The ground rent income is reported as untaxed income ( similar to bank interest ) by the 2 with share in the freehold.

Comment

Thanks Gordon999, ,so it is up to 1k untaxed allowance from the property let:
              Personal Allowance, Income Tax rates, bands and thresholds

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
                by andybenw
                I agree that you should have a very careful look at the condition of the building and what maintenance has taken place historically. The situation may be an advantage if the freeholder is intent on keeping the building in good condition due to the number of leases he/his family hold. Equally if all...
                28-09-2020, 10:45 AM
              • Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
                by phatfish
                I am buying a flat in a block of 11 where the landlord is a small company with two directors. One happens to be the owner of the lease i would take possession of.

The other does not own any of the leases directly, but some family members own at least 4 of them (maybe one or two more, i...
                27-09-2020, 17:43 PM
                by Section20z
                You need to be looking carefully at the service charge and how well the block is maintained. You could take the contrary view that they have a vested interest in maintaining the property and keeping costs reasonable.
                28-09-2020, 10:28 AM
              • 13 year back bill from freeholder
                by Carolinelambie21
                Hi , I can see a few topics similar to this but wanted some clarification.
                our freeholder hasn’t billed us since we bought our flat 13 years ago despite us asking him to.
                now we have notified we are selling so he has finally issued us a bill going back to 2007 for
                ground rent...
                28-09-2020, 08:06 AM
              • Reply to 13 year back bill from freeholder
                by Section20z
                No he can't but yes he can. If you are selling you really don't have much choice, if you begin a dispute then you will need to inform potential buyers who may be put off.
                If he's approachable why not offer 50% in full and final settlement, assuming you are obliged to pay insurance and electricity...
                28-09-2020, 08:18 AM
                by Macromia
                All leaseholders should be treated equally and in accordance with the terms of the lease. Unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Hypothetically, you have the same protections where the freeholder is a company owned by leaseholders, and run by directors who have a controlling interest,...
                28-09-2020, 01:19 AM
              • LPE1 Questions
                by comm1985
                For the purposes of LPE1 could someone clarify the below:

1. Slightly confused by the terms 'Managed Area' and 'Common Parts'. For a building of 4 standalone flats with no communal areas or entrances.

a) I assume the "Managed Area" is the building containing the...
                27-09-2020, 18:28 PM
              • Reply to LPE1 Questions
                by Macromia
                Managed area will include the building and any grounds, gardens, outbuildings, etc., basically anything that the leaseholders may be required to contribute to the maintenance of via service charges.

Common parts would include communal corridors, gardens, etc., and may also include parts...
                28-09-2020, 01:08 AM
              • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
                by Macromia
                Without knowing what your "parking court" is like, I would think that all of the charges that you list would likely be considered reasonable - apart from the management fees (personally I would consider the accountancy/audit charges to be of no value whatsoever to leaseholders, and therefore...
                28-09-2020, 00:53 AM
              • management and maintenance costs for parking court
                by cooked
                sorry this may in the wrong forum but I could not see a forum title which was relevant
                my wife and I own (leasehold) two flats in a block of 3 flats
                each of the 3 flats has two parking spaces in a 30 space parking court
                in 2018, we became the RTM for the building but the parking court...
                25-09-2020, 22:30 PM
              Working...
              X