Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold & Ground rent

Hi,

Freeholder is a group of private individuals, not a company.

If the freehold starts collecting ground rent - it is income and should be declared.

Is there a chance to expense it - not to pay tax?

also, the demand for ground rent must be made against all stakeholders or it is up to freeholder?

Thanks

Yes it is taxable as any other income. Expenses wholly and necessarily in connection with the ground rent collection business are allowable.
    There is specific legislation requiring that demand for payment of ground rent must follow a statutory format a s166 notice; essentially so that the leaseholder knows for which period he is being asked to pay. If you possibly can, get your leaseholders to sign a bank standing order mandate for the amount payable at the appropriate frequency so that the administration is not burdensome

The format of a s166 notice is here
    https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/.../schedule/made

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
      Yes it is taxable as any other income. Expenses wholly and necessarily in connection with the ground rent collection business are allowable.
      Thank you, so basically stamps, envelopes etc.
      Or just do not do it. Or change the lease for the freehold to extend leasehold and make ground rent peppercorn.

Comment

as far as changes in the leases are concerned, let the lessee come to you. Change cannot be unilateral, both parties have to enter into a variation. If they do exercise the right to claim an extension to the lease, the rent will statutorily drop to a peppercorn. One advantage of having a nominal ground rent payable is that it means that the leaseholder has to remain in touch with the the lessor

Comment

Thank you, there 3 leaseholders, 2 are freehold owners and 1 is not.

So basically trying to have as little hassle as possible for ourselves while maintaining freehold value ( 3 rd leaseholder has a lease around 60 years).

Eventually they would need to extend the lease...

Comment

The ground rent income is reported as untaxed income ( similar to bank interest ) by the 2 with share in the freehold.

Comment

Thanks Gordon999, ,so it is up to 1k untaxed allowance from the property let:
              Personal Allowance, Income Tax rates, bands and thresholds

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                by sgclacy
                The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
                09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
              • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                by divadee
                We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
                04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
                by divadee
                We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
                09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
                by divadee
                S42 amount - 10,052
                lease length- 64 years
                property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
                property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
                ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
                09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by Anna1985
                If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
                09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
              • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by Matt F
                Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
                09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by scot22
                Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
                I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
                It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
                09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
              • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
                by Stacker
                Hi
                I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
                09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
              • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                by stokey83
                Hi,
                1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
                2) I am also interested...
                07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
              • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                by scot22
                The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
                Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
                09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
              Working...
              X