• Show
Clear All

• Goatrote
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Goatrote
    started a topic Unregistered land in shared garden

Unregistered land in shared garden

Hello, bit of complicated one, this, so I would be very grateful for any advice.

Six years ago I purchased a leasehold maisonette with a share of a communal garden. There are two flats. Flat A (mine) and Flat B (downstairs neighbour).

The complication is that the actual extent of the garden is not reflected in the freehold title plan. The red box does not extend to the boundary. This may be because there was a path through to the main road at some point, which has now been blocked off. You can see this in the first attached image.

Flat A's title plan shows that it owns a small rectangle of garden on the left hand side, approximately half of the land included in the freehold title plan (see second image).

Flat B's title show shows it's red box extending past what is included in the freehold title up to the boundary (see third image: as I can't have more than two images in a post, I will put this in a reply). Also, on the freehold title there is note to say that "the lease also comprises other land".

So there is a quarter of the garden that is unregistered land as far as I can tell, but it is within the physical boundary and there is a shed on it that is used my me and was used by my predecessors.

My question is how can get the land registry to alter my title plan so that my red box extends to the boundary, which would reflect how the space is actually used (see fourth image in reply)

What is the worst that could happen if I write to ask them to amend my plan and the application is rejected? Could they force me to fence off this parcel of land, even though no one can say where the fence should go?

Do I have to wait 12 years and apply for adverse possession? And would I need to have that area fenced off from my neighbour in order for that that application to be successful?

I would be grateful for any advice, because the issue is causing a problem on sale.

Many thanks

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
    by Andrea Cunningham
    The estate I live on has 2 blocks. All the leaseholders are members of the company which owns the freehold and manages the block ("Share of freehold").

Suppose one of the 2 blocks decides to go it alone - so in other words gain the freehold from a company they are already a member...
    04-10-2021, 12:07 PM
  • Reply to Enfranchising from a company I'm already a member of.
    by Gordon999
    Some managing agents calculate separate maintenance charge for each building ( B1 or B2) plus common charge ( C) for the external communal areas shared by all flats. So a leaseholder would pay service charge for B1 + C or B2 + C depending on which building has the flat. Would this arrangement...
    26-01-2022, 16:15 PM
  • Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
    by SouthernDave
    Has anyone had dealing with doubling ground rents?
    i have just asked for a quote for a lease extension and they are proposing new ground rent terms of a doubling ground rent every 25 years. My commercial guy has said some lenders don't like these which may reduce the value of the property of i...
    25-01-2022, 22:53 PM
  • Reply to Lease extension triggers doubling ground rent change
    by Gordon999
    How many years left on your lease ? If you are still above 81 years left on the lease, you could wait until next year to see if the government reforms help to reduce the cost of lease extension .
    26-01-2022, 15:57 PM
  • Reply to AGM cancelled.
    by Grumio
    The articles state they must declare any kind of interest directly or indirectly, problem is it’s kind of hard to deal with people who keep messing everyone around, calling an AGM and then cancelling it for eg. We have called meetings with them in the past and they don’t turn up. How can you deal...
    26-01-2022, 14:35 PM
  • AGM cancelled.
    by Grumio
    Is this legal?

A bit of background, we currently have three directors, we are allowed to have up to a maximum of eight directors according to the articles of association. We are all leaseholders. Last summer the three directors decided to hire a managing agent who is now in charge of the...
    26-01-2022, 00:46 AM
    by eagle2
    Any meeting which you decide to hold will be an informal meeting only, you do need to follow the correct procedure if you wish to hold a valid meeting,

The Articles should state whether or not directors need to declare conflicts of interest and whether or not they are entitled to vote on...
    26-01-2022, 13:30 PM
    by Grumio
    It is both a managing agent and a residence Association. But we want to go back to managing the block ourselves.

Thanks for the reply, yes invitations have been sent to all our members. And I agree, they should not cancel the AGM, especially when they haven’t got a plausible reason to...
    26-01-2022, 12:12 PM
    by sgclacy
    Doubling every 25 years is simply a guess as to what inflation may be, if inflation of the current levels ( about 6% ) was to continue the real value of the rent would fall by 77% and doubling would not address the enormous damage done by inflation. However, if inflation was less than 2.81% per annum...
    26-01-2022, 11:57 AM
    by Section20z
    You are clearly using the informal route and can thus negotiate whatever terms you like.
    freeholder will want to retain some ground rent but avoid the doubling clause, maybe suggest small fixed rises every ten years....
    26-01-2022, 10:40 AM
Working...
X