Ground rent demands - timescale per legislation, advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground rent demands - timescale per legislation, advice please

We have a lease which specifies that ground rent is payable twice per year in advance by a date in May and a date in November. The lease is silent as to invoicing. However we know from legislation that lessees have to be invoiced and that this has to be accompanied by a statement of rights at their address for service IN ORDER TO BE PAYABLE.

My question related to how long in advance the requests can be. Let us suppose a lessor sent out a single invoice (with a statement of rights) to the lessee specifying on a single page 20 dates over the next 10 years on which ground rents are payable. Then the lessee has to pay these automatically without further demand or be in default.

This seems wrong to me and I want to challenge it. Can anyone point me to a bit of legislation or rule that prevents this means of getting around the legislation?

Just download the sample "rent demand notice" from www.lease-advice.org

Comment

Thank you - that is very helpful.

Comment

Ground rent demands have to be received at least 30 days but no more than 60 days before payment is due.

If I remember correctly its section 66 of the Leasehold and Commonhold Reform Act 2002 (or something like that)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Enfranchisement of Head Lease?
          by Bengt Lagander
          I am considering purchasing a 1st floor flat which is a Victorian conversion into two flat.

The landlord on Land Registry is a Ltd Co but there is a Head Lease in 2005 for 150 years with another Ltd Co. The long lease I am buying was created in 2015 for 150 years and includes the loft...
          24-09-2020, 14:33 PM
        • Reply to Extending a lease as a co freeholder. Leases are of different lengths
          by MrSoffit
          Hi, unless I'm missing something, you either hold the freehold jointly as trustees or as a company? If trustees, the relationship between the trustees as 'joint' freeholder (yeah I know) for granting extensions should be in a participation agreement. If a company, the company would react, no?
          24-09-2020, 13:15 PM
        • Extending a lease as a co freeholder. Leases are of different lengths
          by Deneb
          Hi there,

Would be very grateful for any advice if anyone has come across this before....

I own a ground floor flat in Leeds with a share of the freehold (I bought about 5 years ago). The lease has 85 years to run.
          The co freeholder (who bought in 2002) has the upstairs...
          28-01-2020, 21:13 PM
        • Reply to Extending a lease as a co freeholder. Leases are of different lengths
          by andybenw
          Unless the other leaseholder/freeholder can produce some paperwork (participation agreement?) to prove otherwise, I think a payment probably is due. The other leaseholder bought a very short lease and, you bought a rather longer lease, caveat emptor. Of course 50 percent of any payment would go back...
          24-09-2020, 12:40 PM
        • Reply to Tracing Freeholder
          by cjramona
          sadly not no. She’s freeholder in name only really. We insure and maintain the property ourselves. I’ve now tasked a company to try and trace her - she may have passed away I guess as she bought the fteehold in 1986. I renewed the lease in 2010 so it’s fine until 2155!...
          24-09-2020, 08:18 AM
        • Tracing Freeholder
          by cjramona
          Hi, I am new to the forum and sorry for jumping in but cannot find an answer that helps through the search function. I accepted an offer on my leasehold flat 2 months ago and I thought was close to exchange but the buyers solicitors are asking for my freeholder details. I renewed the lease in 2010...
          22-09-2020, 13:06 PM
        • Reply to S168
          by sgclacy
          When you make the application under Section 168 (4) the Tribunal will request that you notify any mortgagee who has an interest in the flat to which you are taking action against.

Needless to say the mortgagee will take the matter very seriously indeed and will appoint solicitors to protect...
          24-09-2020, 07:22 AM
        • S168
          by Anna1985
          How crazy would it be to apply to the tribunal as litigant in person to ask them to determine a breach of lease re property disrepair ( the responsibility is on leaseholders, not freeholder) ?

Opinions?
          Thanks...
          25-08-2019, 18:30 PM
        • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
          by charlie8899
          Thanks for all your replies. One last comment, would the fact the plan on my lease clearly excludes the windows as part of my demise be a factor? (see attached). The lease also states that service charge is to cover "the structure and exterior of the Building". Wouldn't windows be considered...
          24-09-2020, 07:00 AM
        • Responsibility of window frames
          by charlie8899
          Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
          23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
        Working...
        X