Ground rent demands - timescale per legislation, advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground rent demands - timescale per legislation, advice please

We have a lease which specifies that ground rent is payable twice per year in advance by a date in May and a date in November. The lease is silent as to invoicing. However we know from legislation that lessees have to be invoiced and that this has to be accompanied by a statement of rights at their address for service IN ORDER TO BE PAYABLE.

My question related to how long in advance the requests can be. Let us suppose a lessor sent out a single invoice (with a statement of rights) to the lessee specifying on a single page 20 dates over the next 10 years on which ground rents are payable. Then the lessee has to pay these automatically without further demand or be in default.

This seems wrong to me and I want to challenge it. Can anyone point me to a bit of legislation or rule that prevents this means of getting around the legislation?

Just download the sample "rent demand notice" from www.lease-advice.org

Comment

Thank you - that is very helpful.

Comment

Ground rent demands have to be received at least 30 days but no more than 60 days before payment is due.

If I remember correctly its section 66 of the Leasehold and Commonhold Reform Act 2002 (or something like that)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
          by sgclacy
          The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
          09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
        • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
          by divadee
          We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
          04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
          by divadee
          We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
          09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
          by divadee
          S42 amount - 10,052
          lease length- 64 years
          property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
          property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
          ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
          09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
        • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
          by Matt F
          Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
          09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
          by Anna1985
          If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
          09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
          by scot22
          Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
          I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
          It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
          09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
        • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
          by Stacker
          Hi
          I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
          09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
        • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
          by scot22
          The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
          Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
          09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
        • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
          by stokey83
          Hi,
          1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
          2) I am also interested...
          07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
        Working...
        X