Forfeiture of Freehold

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Forfeiture of Freehold

    I know that a tribunal has an ultimate sanction where the freehold becomes forfeit and I assume reverts to the leaseholders. Not that I am envisaging going down this route but just how bad does the mismanagement have to be for this to happen?

    #2
    The freeholder owns the building and the leaseholder is the long term renter of the flat.

    The leaseholder has no legal power to forfeit the freehold.

    The owner of the freehold title can lose ownership due to the mortgage lender for any unpaid debt .

    Are you freeholder, leaseholder or lender ?

    Comment


      #3
      Or the freehold can revert to the crown if for example the company that owns the freehold goes bust or defaults on its obligations to Companies House (etc.).

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
        I know that a tribunal has an ultimate sanction where the freehold becomes forfeit and I assume reverts to the leaseholders. Not that I am envisaging going down this route but just how bad does the mismanagement have to be for this to happen?
        It can happen where freeholder is absent and there is no management, never heard of it happening for mismanagement

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Section20z View Post

          It can happen where freeholder is absent and there is no management, never heard of it happening for mismanagement
          It was something I read somewhere, can't actually find it now but will keep looking.

          Comment


            #6
            Is it possible for the Tribunal to appoint a manager if teh freeholder has abandon the property and there is no appetite on the lessees part to form an RTM

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by warwick65 View Post

              It was something I read somewhere, can't actually find it now but will keep looking.
              I think you're talking about appointing a manager. If you can appoint a manager (i.e. the freeholder has failed in its responsibilities to keep the property managed) then you have an additional step which is a compulsory purchase order on the freehold (i.e. you can buy it for what the freeholder paid for it). It's better than having to negotiate. But getting a manager appointment is not easy.

              Comment

              Latest Activity

              Collapse

              Working...
              X