Forfeiture of Freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forfeiture of Freehold

I know that a tribunal has an ultimate sanction where the freehold becomes forfeit and I assume reverts to the leaseholders. Not that I am envisaging going down this route but just how bad does the mismanagement have to be for this to happen?

The freeholder owns the building and the leaseholder is the long term renter of the flat.

The leaseholder has no legal power to forfeit the freehold.

The owner of the freehold title can lose ownership due to the mortgage lender for any unpaid debt .

Are you freeholder, leaseholder or lender ?

Comment

Or the freehold can revert to the crown if for example the company that owns the freehold goes bust or defaults on its obligations to Companies House (etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post
        I know that a tribunal has an ultimate sanction where the freehold becomes forfeit and I assume reverts to the leaseholders. Not that I am envisaging going down this route but just how bad does the mismanagement have to be for this to happen?
        It can happen where freeholder is absent and there is no management, never heard of it happening for mismanagement

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post

It can happen where freeholder is absent and there is no management, never heard of it happening for mismanagement
          It was something I read somewhere, can't actually find it now but will keep looking.

Comment

Is it possible for the Tribunal to appoint a manager if teh freeholder has abandon the property and there is no appetite on the lessees part to form an RTM

Comment

Originally posted by warwick65 View Post

It was something I read somewhere, can't actually find it now but will keep looking.
              I think you're talking about appointing a manager. If you can appoint a manager (i.e. the freeholder has failed in its responsibilities to keep the property managed) then you have an additional step which is a compulsory purchase order on the freehold (i.e. you can buy it for what the freeholder paid for it). It's better than having to negotiate. But getting a manager appointment is not easy.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• I've breached my lease
                by pcuk1979
                Hi there. I hope someone can help me because I have been frantic with worry for 3 days now. This is a bit long!

I bought a leasehold flat in July 2014. Since I've been here, I have done everything to it to bring it up to a modern acceptable standard. Note that the floorpan of the property...
                12-07-2020, 14:00 PM
              • Reply to I've breached my lease
                by sid1956
                First of all, you should not be stating or implying to anyone, least of all your landlord, that you have breached the lease. An admission of a breach saves the landlord the trouble of having to determine that a breach has occurred and has no benefit whatsoever to you.

From your description...
                12-07-2020, 21:15 PM
              • Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
                by rfph1
                Ok, the situation is this...

I am a director of the freehold management company for a small block of flats (other directors being leaseholders like myself).

Earlier this year we had some banking issues and changed from one of the big high street banks to an on-line bank....
                10-07-2020, 17:36 PM
              • Reply to Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
                by rfph1
                thank you - the clarification on the need to accept cask is appreciated.

I'm aware that Tide has issues, but so to did out high street bank (complaint made to financial ombudsman pending)
                12-07-2020, 18:40 PM
                by pcuk1979
                Here's some more

Comply with and observes such regulations as the Council may from time to time make for the benefit of the owners and occupiers of the said flats and in particular but without prejudice to the foregoing to comply with the regulations made at the date hereof and set out...
                12-07-2020, 15:58 PM
                by Macromia
                For a start:
                1. Any clause that says that you have to keep floors carpeted, or can't have wooden floors.
                2. Any clause that states that you need inform the freeholder, and/or get freeholder's permission, for non structural alterations.
                3. Any clause that requires you not to do anything...
                12-07-2020, 15:24 PM
                by pcuk1979
                I thought that ground floors only were allowed wooden floors.

And you're right, if I was in my buyer's shoes, I would hate the guy who sold them a flat with clearly weakened soundproofing qualities. I mean, it wasn't great anyway, but it was liveable.

What clauses should I...
                12-07-2020, 15:04 PM
                by Macromia
                Rather than withdrawing from the sale, you could just inform the buyers solicitor that you initially answered these questions thinking that they referred only to structural changes, but would like to inform them of the work that you have done.
                It will then be up to the buyer whether they continue...
                12-07-2020, 15:03 PM
                by pcuk1979
                I also have no Building Regulations certificates, even though I may have decreased the acoustic and thermal properties of the building.
                12-07-2020, 15:00 PM
                by Macromia
                Nothing that you have said that you have done to your flat seems to breach the lease clauses that you have quoted - but that doesn't mean that you have breached clauses that you haven't quoted as you clearly haven't quoted all potentially relevant clauses in full.

It sounds more like the...
                12-07-2020, 14:59 PM
              Working...
              X