Breach of lease questions - please advise (new to this!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breach of lease questions - please advise (new to this!)

As the new Company Secretary I have been invited around the site today that consists of 2 developments, leases for both are mirrored and I have noticed some issues, what do I do?

The main issue is: 2 large satellite dishs in addition to 2 TV aeriels - the lease states: "No external wireless or TV aerial shall be erected by the Lessee on any part of the premises other than replacement aerial."

Reason this is an issue, before we moved here previous owner put a dish up and the other development complained to 1 of the directors of our PMC and the owner had to remove it.

It seems the other development think they can do what they want and dictate to us (a smaller development) while they flaunt the lease! 2 different Property Management Companies.

Ideas what to do please?

What are you company secretary of ? Why do you care wether someone has an aerial ?

You need to explain the setup in a bit more detail, you mention 2 developments and 2 management companies ?
    Advice given is based on my experience representing myself as a leaseholder both in the County Court and at Leasehold Valuation Tribunals.

I do not accept any liability to you in relation to the advice given.

It is always recommended you seek further advice from a solicitor or legal expert.

Always read your lease first, it is the legally binding contract between leaseholder and freeholder.

Comment

I can't see it's any of your business or anything you can do other then write to the RMC and freeholder and express your dislike.
      If you're in a conservation area your LA might have a view.

Incidentally, sky are very keen to install communal dishes, maybe somewhere discrete

Comment

I think it's very much GeeMan's business. Presumably you would be happy if everyone put up a dish !
        if a communal dish was erected then maintenance issues for the future. You can't cherry pick the Ilease.
        Company decisions should be made by directors at a board meeting, however helpful. Then, if agreed, a letter sent, saying the dish must be removed. Directors, unless delegated don't have individual powers.
        I suggest researching role of Company Secretary. Often it is a professional.
        Ensuring all of the lease is followed is important.
        Another useful source of information is the Swarblaw forum. I suggest having a look.

Comment

Completely agree. Has the OP heard of the EWS1? In installing unauthorised external attachments (ie dish) have they penetrated the fire proofing? This may sound trivial however it's incredibly important. You can't treat leasehold flats like a private house.

Comment

Morehouse your last sentence highlights what I have found to be a big problem. People not accepting you can't just do what you want. The lease must be followed.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
              Morehouse your last sentence highlights what I have found to be a big problem. People not accepting you can't just do what you want. The lease must be followed.
              Agreed - in the last month Ive had people wanting to put wooden decking on their balconies (reply - no - fire regs, see the lease) 'But why not, its my flat?' - and so it goes on. It's not actually - you lease it from the freeholder and the man.co. manages it!

Comment

Thank you Scot22 and Milhouse, helps me alot! the dishes are individual dished and NOT communal.

andydd the lease says only 1 SHARED TV aerial and some have individual aerials AND a satellite dish. I thought I had explained it simply enough, obviously not that simple lol.

Comment

So with the dish - whoever installed it will also have drilled through the exterior of the building to get the cable through into the flat. There will be an element of the exterior wall which is fire rated, as soon as you start puching holes you compromise that system. The wall systems in apartment blocks are more complex than a single house, you (should) have extra fire stops and protection. This is speaking from experience. Im currently looking into a case where an extractor vent was retrofitted to the outside of a flat and has destroyed the fire proof wall system meaning the building has failed an intrusive inspection.

Whilst the breach is clear, it may be worthwhile getting the FTT to determine it is a breach, perhaps someone else could comment on this. The dishes could be taken down, any remedial firestopping carried out and all costs sent to the leaseholder.

Comment

Originally posted by Milhouse View Post
                    Whilst the breach is clear, it may be worthwhile getting the FTT to determine it is a breach, perhaps someone else could comment on this. The dishes could be taken down, any remedial firestopping carried out and all costs sent to the leaseholder.
                    What FTT? The FTT does not seem to exist as any sort of functioning entity, not even for paperwork or stuff the judges could easily do at home. A complete breakdown of law and order, of which these folk are supposed to be the guardians. It is causing real misery for real people.

Comment

If there are two large satellite dishes on a typical small block of flats, there is a planning breach. You are allowed the same as a house, but for the whole block: one large dish and one small dish (or two small dishes).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freehold confusion
                        by CStevens
                        In response to your questions:

1. You will need the landlord to sign a TR1 as suggested above. If your friend has passed away then his Executors will have to sign;
                        2. In short no. The real value in these freeholds is normally the money that has to be paid in order to extend leases....
                        27-05-2022, 06:42 AM
                      • Freehold confusion
                        by davetg
                        30 years ago I bought a flat from a friend. The freehold at the time was registered to my friend and the lady who owned the other flat. I understood at the time that I would replace the friend on the freehold but this never happened. This was not a problem until now as when work on the structure of...
                        24-05-2022, 14:29 PM
                      • Reply to 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                        by CStevens
                        check the tenant's lease but normally you should (a) ensure all rent and service charges are paid up to date; (b) check that there are no existing breaches of the lease. If there are then you should require the tenant to deal with these before agreeing to acknowledge the transfer.

With...
                        27-05-2022, 06:34 AM
                      • 2-1 transfer - what does Freeholder do?
                        by Flashback1966
                        I am a Freeholder. Have a flat there too. I have received an email from the leaseholder's soclitors acting for Mr A. They are doing a 2-1 transfer from the names of Mr A and Ms B to just Mr.

The solicitors want to know the requirements on completion.

Is is just a notice of...
                        26-05-2022, 18:46 PM
                      • Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                        by Stu1020
                        Hi there,

I'm new to the forum and looking for advice on a sticky freehold situation.

I own a two-bed flat in a converted building with two one-beds. The lease states that a fair proportion is payable towards the service charge. However, there has been a running agreement of...
                        20-05-2022, 11:39 AM
                      • Reply to Share of feehold/shared service charges?
                        by CStevens
                        You dont have to proceed on the existing agreement nor do you have to proceed on the share paid for the freehold. If the lease's state that it has to be a fair and reasonable amount then that's what it should be - whether you calculate that based on use, sq ft of the flats is really down to debate unless...
                        27-05-2022, 06:30 AM
                        by Lawcruncher
                        The fee is for registering the notice which takes no more than a minute. £5 works out at an hourly rate of £300 which is extremely generous for the amount of work and skill involved....
                        27-05-2022, 05:52 AM
                      • Old managing agents accounts
                        by jazzythumper
                        Since obtaining the RTM and changing the managing agent, we have never been given full accounts / receipts for the previous year(s). We believe that as the old freeholder and leaser holder of one of the flats were represented by the same solicitor that prior to the sale of the freehold, we were subsidising...
                        20-05-2022, 11:21 AM
                      • Reply to Old managing agents accounts
                        by eagle2
                        The sale of the freehold is relevant, your claim would be against the current freeholder, who may not possess and may be unable to obtain the information which you require. It would be up to the new freeholder to try to recover monies from the previous freeholder The RTM Company is only relevant to...
                        27-05-2022, 05:00 AM
                        by flyingfreehold
                        A "reasonable" notice fee is rather more than £5 !
                        27-05-2022, 02:05 AM
                      Working...
                      X