Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground Rent Capitalisation rate?

Hi All,

I'm just wondering what the Ground rent capitalisation rate should be. Is there a calculation or spreadsheet someone can point me in the direction of?

East London Flat (block of 2 in total)

Flat values are around £300k each

Remaining Length of lease (both flats on same terms): 115 years

Ground rent is £350 per year increasing with CPI each year.

Thanks everyone

There are a number online which you can find, but there will only be estimates between 6-8k is probably what you will be looking at, but would imagine a lengthy negotiation with the freeholder on the final amount.

Comment

Yes, none of the online calculators seem to allow for rising ground rents. But why bother? You have 20 years before it's the slightest concern in respect of affecting sale of your property. in which time odds are new legislation will favour lessees.

Comment

If the ground rent is reviewed every year, the lease terms may not be able for your buyer to get a mortgage. The CPI index applies to EU and you may be able to get the CMA to declare it does not apply too UK after Brexit.

If the yield on commercial shop property in your area is about 5% , make an offer to pay £350 x 20 = £7000 for extending your lease by statutory 90 years lease extension at peppercorn ground rent .statutory.

Comment

There is growing feeling as long term interest rates have fallen to 0.1% and there is a real possibilty of rates going negative that the capitalisation rate may need to fall. I mentioned this a few years back

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...eferment-rates

The All saints case Case [ ref CHI/21UC/OCE/2017/0025 St Emmanuel House, 6 Darley Road, Eastbourne BN20 7GD ] set a figure of 3.35% and that was where teh rent was reviewed every 15 years. Yours is every year so it would be reasonable to think that a lower figure would be appropriate

To value the rent you take the current rent and divide it by the percentage rate

So if you want to capitaise at 3% you would divide the current rent by 0.03 - this works when the period is very long and needs to be even longer if the rate reduces

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• I've breached my lease
            by pcuk1979
            Hi there. I hope someone can help me because I have been frantic with worry for 3 days now. This is a bit long!

I bought a leasehold flat in July 2014. Since I've been here, I have done everything to it to bring it up to a modern acceptable standard. Note that the floorpan of the property...
            12-07-2020, 14:00 PM
          • Reply to I've breached my lease
            by sid1956
            First of all, you should not be stating or implying to anyone, least of all your landlord, that you have breached the lease. An admission of a breach saves the landlord the trouble of having to determine that a breach has occurred and has no benefit whatsoever to you.

From your description...
            12-07-2020, 21:15 PM
          • Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
            by rfph1
            Ok, the situation is this...

I am a director of the freehold management company for a small block of flats (other directors being leaseholders like myself).

Earlier this year we had some banking issues and changed from one of the big high street banks to an on-line bank....
            10-07-2020, 17:36 PM
          • Reply to Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
            by rfph1
            thank you - the clarification on the need to accept cask is appreciated.

I'm aware that Tide has issues, but so to did out high street bank (complaint made to financial ombudsman pending)
            12-07-2020, 18:40 PM
            by pcuk1979
            Here's some more

Comply with and observes such regulations as the Council may from time to time make for the benefit of the owners and occupiers of the said flats and in particular but without prejudice to the foregoing to comply with the regulations made at the date hereof and set out...
            12-07-2020, 15:58 PM
            by Macromia
            For a start:
            1. Any clause that says that you have to keep floors carpeted, or can't have wooden floors.
            2. Any clause that states that you need inform the freeholder, and/or get freeholder's permission, for non structural alterations.
            3. Any clause that requires you not to do anything...
            12-07-2020, 15:24 PM
            by pcuk1979
            I thought that ground floors only were allowed wooden floors.

And you're right, if I was in my buyer's shoes, I would hate the guy who sold them a flat with clearly weakened soundproofing qualities. I mean, it wasn't great anyway, but it was liveable.

What clauses should I...
            12-07-2020, 15:04 PM
            by Macromia
            Rather than withdrawing from the sale, you could just inform the buyers solicitor that you initially answered these questions thinking that they referred only to structural changes, but would like to inform them of the work that you have done.
            It will then be up to the buyer whether they continue...
            12-07-2020, 15:03 PM
            by pcuk1979
            I also have no Building Regulations certificates, even though I may have decreased the acoustic and thermal properties of the building.
            12-07-2020, 15:00 PM
            by Macromia
            Nothing that you have said that you have done to your flat seems to breach the lease clauses that you have quoted - but that doesn't mean that you have breached clauses that you haven't quoted as you clearly haven't quoted all potentially relevant clauses in full.

It sounds more like the...
            12-07-2020, 14:59 PM
          Working...
          X