Management company exceeding authority

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management company exceeding authority

We have a flat in a listed building. The management company have decided they do not want tenants as they want owner occupiers. As a result they are saying they must give their consent before tenants are allowed and the tenants have less rights then owner occupiers for example they are not allowed pets but owners are. In addition they have boarded up the lift as the director lives on the first floor and likewise have not removed asbestos from the roof space. The property is being run as his own fiefdom - he has installed cctv without permission and is demanding details of all tenants and an admin fee. The leasehold provides for the structure to be maintained with no distinction between tenants/occupiers. What can be done?

Are the lessees the freeholder?
    Are you a lessee or the tenant of a lessee?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Think this should be re-directed to another forum for a better response.

Comment

- Asbestos does not always (or even usually) have to be removed
        - What is the CCTV looking at and who has access to it. Sometimes it is a good thing
        - He cannot demand what is not in the lease(s) - politely decline to non-adherence to the lease
        - Why was the lift boarded. What does the lease say about the lift? What happened?
        - Often leases do say things about who can occupy the property - are you sure it says nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ash72 View Post
          Think this should be re-directed to another forum for a better response.
          Why? Possibly to another sub-forum within this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
            Why? Possibly to another sub-forum within this forum.
            Unusually, each of what I would consider a sub-forum is a forum in this site (and presumably hosting software).

So the long leasehold "section" is a different forum to this one, even though that's a bit odd.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

If you can get support from more than 50% of leaseholders in the block, then set up a RTM company to run the service charge account.

Comment

We are leaseholders. We rent out to tenants. There is a management company which has been set up to administer the leasehold. The problem is that the director enforces arbitrary rules in conflict with the leasehold wording. The management company's decisions are then put through management company which is ARMA accredited but they merely act as mouthpiece to the company. As we live far away it is difficult for us to get to the AGMs ( but we will be on it for sure in future) If it comes to it we will challenge any rulings in court. I guess it is a matter of company rather than leasehold law if the directors are acting ultra vires, I am not sure if I can use the complaints procedure against the Arma managers if they are implementing rules contrary to the leasehold on behalf of the management company? I'll try and find the long lease section...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to I've breached my lease
                  by sid1956
                  First of all, you should not be stating or implying to anyone, least of all your landlord, that you have breached the lease. An admission of a breach saves the landlord the trouble of having to determine that a breach has occurred and has no benefit whatsoever to you.

From your description...
                  12-07-2020, 21:15 PM
                • I've breached my lease
                  by pcuk1979
                  Hi there. I hope someone can help me because I have been frantic with worry for 3 days now. This is a bit long!

I bought a leasehold flat in July 2014. Since I've been here, I have done everything to it to bring it up to a modern acceptable standard. Note that the floorpan of the property...
                  12-07-2020, 14:00 PM
                • Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
                  by rfph1
                  Ok, the situation is this...

I am a director of the freehold management company for a small block of flats (other directors being leaseholders like myself).

Earlier this year we had some banking issues and changed from one of the big high street banks to an on-line bank....
                  10-07-2020, 17:36 PM
                • Reply to Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
                  by rfph1
                  thank you - the clarification on the need to accept cask is appreciated.

I'm aware that Tide has issues, but so to did out high street bank (complaint made to financial ombudsman pending)
                  12-07-2020, 18:40 PM
                  by pcuk1979
                  Here's some more

Comply with and observes such regulations as the Council may from time to time make for the benefit of the owners and occupiers of the said flats and in particular but without prejudice to the foregoing to comply with the regulations made at the date hereof and set out...
                  12-07-2020, 15:58 PM
                  by Macromia
                  For a start:
                  1. Any clause that says that you have to keep floors carpeted, or can't have wooden floors.
                  2. Any clause that states that you need inform the freeholder, and/or get freeholder's permission, for non structural alterations.
                  3. Any clause that requires you not to do anything...
                  12-07-2020, 15:24 PM
                  by pcuk1979
                  I thought that ground floors only were allowed wooden floors.

And you're right, if I was in my buyer's shoes, I would hate the guy who sold them a flat with clearly weakened soundproofing qualities. I mean, it wasn't great anyway, but it was liveable.

What clauses should I...
                  12-07-2020, 15:04 PM
                  by Macromia
                  Rather than withdrawing from the sale, you could just inform the buyers solicitor that you initially answered these questions thinking that they referred only to structural changes, but would like to inform them of the work that you have done.
                  It will then be up to the buyer whether they continue...
                  12-07-2020, 15:03 PM
                  by pcuk1979
                  I also have no Building Regulations certificates, even though I may have decreased the acoustic and thermal properties of the building.
                  12-07-2020, 15:00 PM
                  by Macromia
                  Nothing that you have said that you have done to your flat seems to breach the lease clauses that you have quoted - but that doesn't mean that you have breached clauses that you haven't quoted as you clearly haven't quoted all potentially relevant clauses in full.

It sounds more like the...
                  12-07-2020, 14:59 PM
                Working...
                X