Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease on underletting whole premise

Hi everyone

I have searched the forum, googled a lot and referred back to the lease report from when we purchased our leashold flat. However we are still not 100% sure about the below.

We are currently looking at a new property and while we always thought we'd sell our flat when moving, we are now exploring the option of renting it out instead.

The lease says the following with regards to underletting (no commas or full stops):

"The Lessee hereby covenants with the Lessor as follows:
    [...]
    20. Not to assign underlet or otherwise part with the possession of the premises except as a whole
    21. Within twenty-one days after any assignment underletting or devolution of the Lessee’s interest under this present Lease to give Notice in writing thereof to the Lessor’s Solicitors and to produce to them the instrument of such transfer assignment underletting or devolution and to pay to such Solicitors a Registration fee of £10.00 plus VAT"

Does this mean we can rent out the flat as long as we rent out the whole flat? This is how we understood the term when purchasing the flat and also the lease report says:
    "you may not let part only of the flat".

Now, as we had some legal advice on other parts of the lease we also asked about this clause (different solicitor) and he came back with:
    "the clause states that you cannot assign underlet or otherwise part with possession of the premises except as a whole. This usually applies to shared-ownership leases where you own less than a 100% share of the flat or in this case this is likely to relate to you not owning 100% of the freehold."

Wouldn't this be contradicting clause 21? If we are not allowed to underlet at all why would there be a clause saying we have to give notice?
    Also, why would the leasehold take into account whether we own the freehold or not? We do jointly hold the freehold title with the owner of the second flat in the house but the lease was drafted long before when a separate company held the freehold.

We would seek clarification from the solicitor but he made it clear this would incur further fees and his service was also otherwise not satisfactory.

Thank you ever so much for your help on this!

No that lease clause doesn't prohibit letting your flat but anyway it's totally irrelevant if you own the freehold, just make sure the other owner is happy with your plans.

Comment

You can agree with the other freeholder to waive the registration fee or just settle up by paying for a sunday lunch at your local.

Comment

"the clause states that you cannot assign underlet or otherwise part with possession of the premises except as a whole. This usually applies to shared-ownership leases where you own less than a 100% share of the flat or in this case this is likely to relate to you not owning 100% of the freehold."

Be wary of any other advice given to you by the solicitor who wrote the above.

The first solicitor got it right. You cannot, for example, let just one room. You must let the whole flat.

Comment

Thank you so much! That does set our mind to rest and also confirms our suspicion about the second solicitor, definitely not using their service again!

Comment

Originally posted by Home_LT View Post
            Thank you so much! That does set our mind to rest and also confirms our suspicion about the second solicitor, definitely not using their service again!
            Did the solicitor say that seeking clarification to the previous answer they gave would incur further fees? Or, did they mean that a follow up question would incur further fees? If possible, you should seek a refund for the misinformation they gave you. How much did the solicitor charge you for clarifying that part of the lease?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
              by eagle2
              It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
              23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
            • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
              by SSLA91
              Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
              20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
            • Reply to Section 20 notice
              by Starlane
              Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
              22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
            • Section 20 notice
              by Starlane
              Hello I would welcome input on the following:
              Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
              22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
            • Share of freehold questions - confused
              by sixunforced
              Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
              18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
            • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
              by Starlane
              Agree thank you...
              22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
            • Reply to Section 20 notice
              by Macromia
              Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
              22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
            • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
              by Disraeli-LLH
              I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
              20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
              by Macromia
              This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
              If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
              22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
              by Macromia
              Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
              22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
            Working...
            X