Poor access provided by neighouriing property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor access provided by neighouriing property

I manage a small block of flats which is adjacent to another property which land is currently used as a private fenced off car park.
    A few years ago, the said neighbour replaced their fence with a very tall metal fence and only leaving a metre or so between their fence and our rear wall.
    This means access to the rear of our block is now very poor and makes any work of maintenance/inspection unsafe.
    We have also had issues with contractors not being able to get their materials and machinery through. Also, the way they have done it means, they have left a gap which attracts fly tipping (we didn't have this issue before).

We have raised it with said neighbour on a number of occasions to no avail. I asked them to meet me at the property several times to discuss and they have always refused to meet me.

What piece of legislation can I use to get them to look at the issue?

Our neighbour is Network Rail.

The first task is to establish whether the fence encroaches onto your land. The fact that the fence has made access more difficult suggests that may be the case. It can though be difficult to establish a boundary with any precision - see these threads:

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2247

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3149

As a first step see what you make of the Land Registry plan of the block bearing in mind all the warnings set out in the two threads. If that is inconclusive you can consider instructing a surveyor, but unless there is a signifcant discrepancy it is more than likely that he will not be able to assist. Not having challenged the position of the fence when it was erected does not help your case.

If you cannot get the fence moved, there is the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 you can fall back on if essential repairs cannot be carried out easily with the fence in position.

Comment

Thank you. The fence is on their land.

if referring to the neighbouring Land Act 1992 - do I need to go to court to get it enforced?

Comment

Originally posted by Carine View Post
        if referring to the neighbouring Land Act 1992 - do I need to go to court to get it enforced?
        Yes. The rights granted by the Act only arise following a court order and are only one off. Even so, the Act is useful to persuade people to be co-operative as few want to appear in court and risk costs.

I should perhaps have mentioned that some properties have on their title a right to go onto adjoining land to inspect and carry out repairs. It is unlikely such a right will exist over Network Rail land, but you may as well check.

Comment

Thanks Lawcruncher.

There is no provision in our lease for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Carine View Post
            There is no provision in our lease for it.
            You need to look at the freehold title.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
              by eagle2
              It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
              23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
            • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
              by SSLA91
              Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
              20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
            • Reply to Section 20 notice
              by Starlane
              Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
              22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
            • Section 20 notice
              by Starlane
              Hello I would welcome input on the following:
              Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
              22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
            • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
              by Starlane
              Agree thank you...
              22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
            • Share of freehold questions - confused
              by sixunforced
              Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
              18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
            • Reply to Section 20 notice
              by Macromia
              Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
              22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
              by Macromia
              This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
              If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
              22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
            • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
              by Disraeli-LLH
              I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
              20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
              by Macromia
              Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
              22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
            Working...
            X