Lease and MemArts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease and MemArts

I read on this forum a couple of years ago that in the case of enfranchised buildings if there were a conflict between the lease of a shareholder and the MemArts of the RMC then the MemArts would take precedence. This question has now arisen in our building and may be the key to us all moving forward together. I wonder if anyone can confirm that it is the case that the MemArts trump the lease.

For example: Our leases don’t provide for “improvements” but the Memorandum of Association does

I can’t trace the original post but I did read other posts on the topic and from those I appreciate that the lease is the contract between the parties, whereas the Memorandum sets the objects of the company, but if, as is the case here, the Articles require the shareholder to “subscribe to the Memorandum” could that (or anything else?) constitute precedence for the Memorandum? Thanks.

The lease is between the freeholder and leaseholder who is obliged to pay annual service charge for maintenance of the building.

The RMC is a non-profit company with legal power to administer the service charge account according to the terms of the lease.

The MemArts is for the RMC ( running of the company ) but has no power to demand the shareholder to pay money to the company.

Any proposals for spending to improve the building would have to be passed by a majority the RMC Members but could be opposed by leaseholders if not under the lease.

Comment

No the stuff the directors make up does not trump the lease. Not sure where you got that. There is not even an obligation on anyone to be a shareholder (nobody can be forced). Making stuff up in the Memoranda of a Company is like a freeholder making up lease provisions. There are fine details where a Company can make stuff up (like the colour of the wallpaper).

Comment

Gordon 999, thanks. As you rightly say, the lease is the go-to document and in by far the majority of cases it will be adhered to, but as we know it is not sacrosanct, and tribunals and courts are capable of judging covenants inadequate or unreasonable and overturning them.

The “improvements” example adds another layer. In this case the shareholder by subscribing to the Memorandum has signed up to improvements as an object of the company – it’s a condition of granting the shares. In addition, the lease doesn’t preclude improvements. It just doesn’t include them. It would be very difficult for a shareholder therefore to argue that the absence of the item in his lease means that he can avoid his commitment via the Memorandum. In effect he has said through the Memorandum that he will pay towards improvements while he has not said in his lease that he will not.

I appreciate that a tribunal would not feel able to admit the Memorandum into its deliberations but a higher court might. If the Supreme Court can say that rules which are unequivocally set out in law can be ditched without a change in the law, then anything is possible in property law. If you know of any examples where the MemArts/Lease conflict has been tested I’d be grateful to hear of them. Or any firm or practitioner that has shown an interest. Thanks.

Comment

Andrew Dod, thanks for responding. Just to be clear, there’s no question of anybody being forced to become a shareholder. This concerns just current or wannabe shareholders. Also the Memorandum I’m quoting is an off-the-shelf one that has just serious stuff in it like reserve fund and improvements, with no whimsical additions by opportunistic directors.

But that’s by the by. Perhaps we’re looking in the wrong place. Maybe the answer is in company law not property law? To take the improvements example again. The shareholder “subscribes to the Memorandum” (sic) as a condition of being granted a share in the freehold company (this is not supposition, the Articles state it). So if he fails by his actions to abide by an object of the Memorandum, in this case declining to pay towards “improvements”, may his shares be revoked on the grounds that he is failing to fulfil a necessary condition of his shareholding? The lease becomes irrelevant in this case. The sanction is revocation of shares.

The aim is not to reach this point. The aim is to establish that the MemArts trump the lease, not in a legal sense but in the practical consequence that a shareholding can be revoked where there is a conflict between lease and Memorandum and the shareholder refuses to abide by the Memorandum.

Maybe this is what the original poster was thinking of. Again. I’d be interested to hear if this has been tested in any way or if any practitioner has explored the area.

Comment

All pie in the sky. Memoranda and articles cannot feasibly add reserve funds where the lease does not provide for that .... etc etc.. Fact that the FTT can sometimes vary a lease very selectively and for a reason (such as ambiguity or illegality) does not make the lease "not sacrosanct".

You COULD make membership of the company carry certain conditions, but you could not remove someone's shareholding because they didn't want to do something not within the lease, nor can you do most of the stuff you are considering. And all a shareholder would have to do to avoid a service charge (even if you could do it) is to sell back their shareholding. That's not going to fly very far.

The purpose of the company is to implement the lease. They can no more foist new lease terms on lesses than can an ordinary freeholder.

How exactly are you going to set up that "condition of granting the shares". Only some lessees are going to purchase a freehold (and pay for it) depending on their willingness to obey have new rules. And when a lessee sells their flat and share, they sell what they own (and a share they own) - you cannot make up stuff in retrospect at the point of sale or otherwise.

Comment

The asset that the company owns is the leases (as they are written) and the building.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                by eagle2
                It makes you wonder why any freeholder should comply with s20 at all. As you say, it can wait to see if any leaseholder challenges the costs. It does not even need to explain why it did not comply with s20, the only consideration appears to be whether or not the leaseholders suffered any financial prejudice,...
                23-10-2021, 06:34 AM
              • Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                by SSLA91
                Hi all,

Long time lurker of this forum and recent new member. Have always found the forum incredibly helpful so thank you! Have now got an issue with our freeholder that I could use some specific advice on (have tried searching for similar posts but to no avail).

We have recently...
                20-10-2021, 20:28 PM
              • Section 20 notice
                by Starlane
                Hello I would welcome input on the following:
                Two roofs feed into a valley, the valley is in need of repair, this is a shared responsibility and therefore a shared cost. so how do we issue a section 20 notice when really we need the consent and agreement from two different buildings/landlords...
                22-10-2021, 19:09 PM
              • Reply to Section 20 notice
                by Starlane
                Hi Macromia thank you as always for your helpful and sensible input.. one building is saying one thing and another building the other, the usual chinese whispers so I took the bull by the horns and spoke to everyone and I am almost there apart from a Director who wants to do their own thing ( not being...
                22-10-2021, 20:57 PM
              • Share of freehold questions - confused
                by sixunforced
                Not sure if this is the right place for this query but anyway, I'm a first time buyer and have been searching for a property for like two years now (not continuously but on and off and obv covid halted my search for a while). I found a really nice 2 bedroom flat for under £320,000 in a block of around...
                18-11-2020, 21:19 PM
              • Reply to Share of freehold questions - confused
                by Starlane
                Agree thank you...
                22-10-2021, 20:52 PM
              • Reply to Section 20 notice
                by Macromia
                Assuming that the two freeholders have agreed that they will work together and share the costs, they jointly agree what needs to be communicated to the leaseholders and then each freeholder writes to the leaseholders in their building.
                22-10-2021, 20:16 PM
              • Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                by Disraeli-LLH
                I was hoping you would be able to help. We own a ground floor flat LLH(970 yrs remaining). The freeholder owns the house and lets the flat upstairs on an AST.

The freeholder currently undertaking works including replumbing. We have been on a shared water supply and we connect through their...
                20-10-2021, 15:35 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder threatening to cut water off
                by Macromia
                This is possibly by far the most important consideration, in my opinion.
                If the OP's lease doesn't allow 'improvements' to be charged to service charges, the freeholder cannot require them to contribute anything towards the costs, and would therefore be something that they would have had no choice...
                22-10-2021, 20:08 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder/Agent Demanding Money for Repairs
                by Macromia
                Possibly...

Although when my freeholder applied for dispensation a while back (arguing that the proposed work had to be carried out as a matter of urgency) they were granted dispensation with the First Tier Tribunal commenting that the 2013 Supreme Court Case of Daejan versus Benson meant...
                22-10-2021, 19:51 PM
              Working...
              X