X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Risk Assessor
    replied
    Originally posted by TruthLedger View Post

That somebody also has to be approved by the banks, minimizing the pool of surveyors while banks and their chosen "partners in crime" can maximize profits. How many are paying attention?
    Well I can tell you that there are only around 50 people in the uk who are qualified to do them, less that are willing to do them, and ever fewer who are insured to do them. The system is a mess. Strangely the form was developed by one of the few companies qualified to carry them out.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    This website may help you to understand :

https://www.rics.org/uk/news-insight...ise-buildings/

Leave a comment:

• TruthLedger
    replied
    That somebody also has to be approved by the banks, minimizing the pool of surveyors while banks and their chosen "partners in crime" can maximize profits. How many are paying attention?

Leave a comment:

• Fire Risk Assessor
    replied
    I think your problem will be finding somebody to do it. Heard somebody quote 15k for an appraisal on a building which is obviously traditional construction. Things will become clearer when PAS 9999 is published ( draft for public consultation in December).

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I take it the building with wood at the top was not extended upwards by the freeholder long after the places were built? He'd have a bit of a cheek expecting you to rectify his alterations.

Leave a comment:

• Grass is Greener
    replied
    Our managing agent are saying it will cost around 3k. That’s not the worry. The concern is whether they find minor Issues that will cost 10’s of 1000’s to put right.

We are considering going after the freeholder, but are always worried about rising costs.

Leave a comment:

• TruthLedger
    replied
    The usual suspects are causing a lot of confusion, aren't they? They first said above 18 meters but later said all blocks of flats regardless of height, which RICS fully backed. To my surprise, checking RICS again. They are now saying We do not envisage residential in scope buildings 1-3 storeys in height requiring an EWS form . I suggest sending these links below to your managing agent and also consult with your mortgage lender because not all require this EWS form. How much is your managing agent quoting for EWS survey?

https://www.rics.org/uk/news-insight/latest-news/fire-safety/cladding-qa/
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/building-safety-programme

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    I don't think forum members can answer your question. It seems to apply to building over 18 metres high.

https://www.mortgagesolutions.co.uk/...-need-to-know/

Leave a comment:

• Grass is Greener
    replied
    Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
    I suggest you check your local council and fire station on what their requirements are.
    We have our fire certificates etc. I'm looking for advice re: an EWS and whether it's necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    I suggest you check your local council and fire station on what their requirements are.

Leave a comment:

• Grass is Greener
    started a topic Ews

Ews

Hello,

We are an RTM with 209 flats across three separate buildings.

Our managing agent has told us that we must get an EWS check. This is due to new rules put in place, following Grenfell.

They say that leaseholders will not be able to get mortgages if we do not go through this process.

Some of the flats have been sold this year and people haven't had a problem getting a mortgage. So far this claim is untrue

All of the buildings are under 18 metres. All three buildings are brick.There isn't any cladding on two of the buildings.

On the third building, it is all brick apart from two flats on the top floor that some wood around them (it's designed that way).

The managing agent are pressuring us to get a check for all buildings

We're not keen to do the EWS checks. We don't believe there is a fire hazard as such, but we're concerned about what they will find if all the walls are opened up.

It may end up costing us ten of thousands on things that wouldn't of caused an issue anyway.

Has anyone had any experience of this process, or advice on what we should do

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X