Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ews

Hello,

We are an RTM with 209 flats across three separate buildings.

Our managing agent has told us that we must get an EWS check. This is due to new rules put in place, following Grenfell.

They say that leaseholders will not be able to get mortgages if we do not go through this process.

Some of the flats have been sold this year and people haven't had a problem getting a mortgage. So far this claim is untrue

All of the buildings are under 18 metres. All three buildings are brick.There isn't any cladding on two of the buildings.

On the third building, it is all brick apart from two flats on the top floor that some wood around them (it's designed that way).

The managing agent are pressuring us to get a check for all buildings

We're not keen to do the EWS checks. We don't believe there is a fire hazard as such, but we're concerned about what they will find if all the walls are opened up.

It may end up costing us ten of thousands on things that wouldn't of caused an issue anyway.

Has anyone had any experience of this process, or advice on what we should do

I suggest you check your local council and fire station on what their requirements are.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
      I suggest you check your local council and fire station on what their requirements are.
      We have our fire certificates etc. I'm looking for advice re: an EWS and whether it's necessary.

Comment

I don't think forum members can answer your question. It seems to apply to building over 18 metres high.

https://www.mortgagesolutions.co.uk/...-need-to-know/

Comment

The usual suspects are causing a lot of confusion, aren't they? They first said above 18 meters but later said all blocks of flats regardless of height, which RICS fully backed. To my surprise, checking RICS again. They are now saying We do not envisage residential in scope buildings 1-3 storeys in height requiring an EWS form . I suggest sending these links below to your managing agent and also consult with your mortgage lender because not all require this EWS form. How much is your managing agent quoting for EWS survey?

https://www.rics.org/uk/news-insight/latest-news/fire-safety/cladding-qa/
          https://www.gov.uk/guidance/building-safety-programme

Comment

Our managing agent are saying it will cost around 3k. That’s not the worry. The concern is whether they find minor Issues that will cost 10’s of 1000’s to put right.

We are considering going after the freeholder, but are always worried about rising costs.

Comment

I take it the building with wood at the top was not extended upwards by the freeholder long after the places were built? He'd have a bit of a cheek expecting you to rectify his alterations.

Comment

I think your problem will be finding somebody to do it. Heard somebody quote 15k for an appraisal on a building which is obviously traditional construction. Things will become clearer when PAS 9999 is published ( draft for public consultation in December).

Comment

That somebody also has to be approved by the banks, minimizing the pool of surveyors while banks and their chosen "partners in crime" can maximize profits. How many are paying attention?

Comment

This website may help you to understand :

https://www.rics.org/uk/news-insight...ise-buildings/

Comment

Originally posted by TruthLedger View Post

That somebody also has to be approved by the banks, minimizing the pool of surveyors while banks and their chosen "partners in crime" can maximize profits. How many are paying attention?
                      Well I can tell you that there are only around 50 people in the uk who are qualified to do them, less that are willing to do them, and ever fewer who are insured to do them. The system is a mess. Strangely the form was developed by one of the few companies qualified to carry them out.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                        by sgclacy
                        The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
                        09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
                      • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                        by divadee
                        We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
                        04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
                        by divadee
                        We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
                        09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
                        by divadee
                        S42 amount - 10,052
                        lease length- 64 years
                        property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
                        property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
                        ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
                        09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
                      • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                        by Matt F
                        Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
                        09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
                      • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                        by Anna1985
                        If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
                        09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
                      • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                        by scot22
                        Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
                        I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
                        It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
                        09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
                      • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
                        by Stacker
                        Hi
                        I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
                        09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
                      • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                        by scot22
                        The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
                        Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
                        09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
                      • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                        by stokey83
                        Hi,
                        1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
                        2) I am also interested...
                        07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
                      Working...
                      X