Belated Extra Service Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belated Extra Service Charge

For 2017/18 I paid my substantial management service fee for the leasehold apartment I owned and rented out. As usual, two instalments, in advance, April and October.
    With no prior warning or consultation, the managing agent, in mid 2019, suddenly asked for extra for 2017/18, just under £200 per apartment. They hadn't produced and circulated 2017/18 accounts or held a tenants/leaseholders meeting in 2018, as in previous years. There were no extraordinary one off costs or major repairs needed for the site. Just appeared they had overspent the estimated budget for 2017/18. Also, without consultation, they increased the 'financial reserves' for our site by far more than in any recent years, with no explanation.

I've formally complained and contested this extra charge. They haven't responded to that but are just sending debt chasing letters with threats of escalation. I've since sold the apartment.
    Any views on legal position or practical advice welcome please. On principle I object to this but wonder whether for £200 it is worth a battle.

I would just write off the 200 pounds. The principle is not a really important one. Think of your time and effort, just leave it.
    Also since you managed to sell, l clear away any possible complications which might, shouldn't, appear with new owners.

Comment

I would pay the money and avoid any further charges and costs as well as a CCJ. I'm surprised you managed to exchange and complete on your property with a debt still hanging over the property, and the other party didn't flag it.

This post should be redirected to the appropriate forum.

Comment

This is not uncommon.

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
          Think of your time and effort, just leave it.
          Considering time and effort does not seem compatible with a matter of principle.

Comment

Most leases allow 'balancing payments' to be demanded in the event that there was an overspend compared to the estimated charges.
            Unless you are certain that your lease doesn't allow this, I would forget about trying to challenge this.

In fact, since it would likely cost you almost as much, potentially more, to challenge the demand, I would forget about it anyway. What you could do is make it clear to the freeholder (in writing) that you dispute the charge and have reserved your right to challenge it at a later date. That way you can include it in any later tribunal/court action that might be started within the next few years, either by yourself or by the freeholder.

Comment

#5 Surely it depends on the status of the principle. I am not sure that any significant principle is involved. Effect on society ?

Comment

Thanks all, I appreciate your responses. I've decided to put pragmatism before principle and pay the extra charge.

By the way, I made a formal complaint but, other than a very belated acknowledgement of receipt, never received a substantive response.

Confirms my impression that Managing Agents are very poorly regulated. Consequently a great many leasehold apartment owners receive poor service and value for the inflated charges they pay. No surprise there I guess.

Glad I'm not involved with them from here on.

Comment

Part of the problem with any kind of block of flats is that to operate any kind of service charge mechanism there are overheads, often a need for an audited set of accounts, fire risk assessments, asbestos and possibly legionnaires checking, smoke alarm testing etc; some clerical costs to cover the cost of collecting insurance premia so prior to a penny actually being spent on gardening and common parts repairs/renewals the service charge collection can easily run to a few hundred pounds per flat. As many readers will know the consultation process on anything over £250 per flat takes so blinking long that many builders don't really want to bother to quote for a job that may take months to greenlight and those who do price to take account of the disadvantages as compared to other forms of contracting.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
                    Part of the problem with any kind of block of flats is that to operate any kind of service charge mechanism there are overheads, often a need for an audited set of accounts, ... [etc.] ...
                    It a properly managed block costs of the sort that you mention should not lead to the need to claim an additional payment at the end of a service charge year, and definitely not a payment that the leaseholders aren't told is required until well after the accounting year has ended.
                    These are all costs that the freeholder/managing agent should be aware will need to paid at the beginning of the accounting year, and should therefore have been budgeted for appropriately.

I agree that many of these costs do nothing at all to benefit the leaseholders (in most cases), and regulations need to be changed to remove any costs that are of no benefit. The need for service charge accounts to be certified by an independent accountant is an example of one cost that shouldn't be required, and should be actively discouraged for small blocks. This certification supposedly helps protect leaseholders, but in reality all that it does is mean that they need to pay more (potentially 10%, or more, above what they would otherwise pay in small blocks that require little maintenance) while failing to guarantee that any of the charges made are actually payable. All that the accountants usually do is check that the totals on the invoices they are provided with add up to the total service charges that are being claimed (and when there are only 20-40 invoices, as is the case for my block, even a halfway competent leaseholder should be able to do this in 10 minutes once provided with copies of the invoices).

There will, however, sometimes be occasions when work that was planned turns out to be more expensive than originally thought, and may even end up costing more than the contingency that should have been included in the budget, and this may result in overspends.
                    There will also sometimes be cases where the need for immediate maintenance comes up unexpectedly, or work that was know would be needed, but was going to be included in the next service charge year has to be brought forward.

Comment

If you have already sold your flat , your buyer or buyer's solicitor should have registered the transfer of flat under name of new leaseholder . Then the management company would be chasing new leaseholder for service charge arrears- not chase you..

Comment

clarrieblue,

How was this brought to your attention? I take it the current leaseholder (or their solicitor) contacted you about the £200 extra service charge? Was this invoice produced within 18 months? There is the 18 month rule Under Section 20B of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985

Comment

That’s correct, the new leaseholder is being chased for the extra service charge. The charge was for the period that ended 18 months before my sale of the apartment to them was concluded. Such a long delay in completing the accounts seems incompetent to me.

I did not want a debt of mine, though I thought it unjustified, to cause a problem for the new leaseholder, eg be detrimental to their credit rating. So today I settled the debt.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                            Then the management company would be chasing new leaseholder for service charge arrears- not chase you..
                            Only because it is easier for them to chase the new leaseholder, because of the potential to threaten forfeiture.

It should really be the person who owned the lease when the money became due who is chased.

Comment

I dont think Macro is correct; once the lease is assigned, the assignee becomes liable for the debts to the landlord of the assignor

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Lease extension - should I pursue non statutory?
                                by theta
                                I received a section 42 notice for a statutory lease extension for a flat where I own the freehold. There are 87 years remaining on the lease, and ground rent review is every 10 years linked to RPI (next review 2027).
                                My appointed managing agent recommended a solicitor with experience on this,...
                                25-09-2020, 07:56 AM
                              • Reply to Lease extension - should I pursue non statutory?
                                by Section20z
                                Personally I would put your proposal direct to lessee. Their solicitor will only advise to do what makes them most money.
                                The statutory extension is really best for the lessee so you will have a hard job persuading them that a rising ground rent beats expungement.
                                Maybe offer a longer extension...
                                25-09-2020, 08:10 AM
                              • Enfranchisement of Head Lease?
                                by Bengt Lagander
                                I am considering purchasing a 1st floor flat which is a Victorian conversion into two flat.

The landlord on Land Registry is a Ltd Co but there is a Head Lease in 2005 for 150 years with another Ltd Co. The long lease I am buying was created in 2015 for 150 years and includes the loft...
                                24-09-2020, 14:33 PM
                              • Reply to Enfranchisement of Head Lease?
                                by flyingfreehold
                                You serve your notice of claim for the freehold on the 'competent' landlord ie to whom you pay ground rent. That competent landlord is supposed to bring it to the attention of the freeholder. But you wouldn't try brain surgery yourself and don't try to draft the claim yourself. There are more twists...
                                24-09-2020, 18:45 PM
                              • RTM Company secretary
                                by Andrew Clark
                                We wish to change the RTM Company Secretary from our legacy managing agent to our new managing agent, the legacy agent will not complete the online authentication code until he is paid what he says he is owed. Thoughts on ways around this
                                23-09-2020, 08:02 AM
                              • Reply to RTM Company secretary
                                by Gordon999
                                Any reason for not paying the company secretary's bill ? Its better to pay the bill to remove a problem .
                                24-09-2020, 18:00 PM
                              • Reply to Enfranchisement of Head Lease?
                                by Gordon999
                                I suggest you ask the legal advisor at Lease ( www.lease-advice.org ) if you purchase both head lease and freehold title at the same time.
                                24-09-2020, 17:48 PM
                              • Responsibility of window frames
                                by charlie8899
                                Hello - I hope someone can help. I own a new build flat and have a faulty window that needs replacing. This will be quite costly and requires erecting scaffolding. I was surprised to hear from the building management company that windows are the responsibility of the leaseholder. This doesn't seem right...
                                23-09-2020, 08:05 AM
                              • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                                by AndrewDod
                                You may have a chance, but I wouldn't bank on it. The red lines do not override the words - generally they are regarded as vague blodges (and if they did the freeholder would be responsible for your interior decoration as well with these blodges!).

That said I am not 100% sure why you...
                                24-09-2020, 17:07 PM
                              • Reply to Leaseholder refusing to complete repairs
                                by scot22
                                It would only need a majority. Doesn't need to be unanimous unless specified in Articles. We use model and no problem.
                                Presumably he already knows you believe he is in breach so no reason I can see to be secretive.
                                24-09-2020, 15:25 PM
                              Working...
                              X