Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aconnell
    replied
    The below means that you can't sell or lease PART of the flat. For example, grant a tenancy of a bedroom, or split the flat into multiple ownerships.
    "Not to assign transfer sub-let or part with the possession of part only of the premises as distinguished from the entirety thereof"

The below does not mean that you can't rent the property. It means that you can't use the flat as a place of conducting business.
    "Not to use the premises nor permit the same to be used for any trade business or profession nor shall any boarders or lodgers be taken in the Flat but the Lessee shall use the same for the purposes of a single self-contained private residential dwelling in the occupation of one family or household only"

Leave a comment:

• TruthLedger
    replied
    The words assign, transfer and sub-let mean the same thing; hence according to that wording it seems to imply you cannot assign or sub-let part of the property nor take in any non-family persons to live with you as lodgers or borders.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Neither of the clauses you quote prevent sub-letting as a whole so long as the use is residential and the flat is occupied only by a single family or household.

Leave a comment:

• mariner
    replied
    IMO you cannot use the Property for any of your suggestions, but may take in 1 or 2 lodgers whilst living in the Property.

Leave a comment:

• louisek
    replied
    Thanks, John. I appreciate you getting back and answering this question. Interesting to know about the CRA 2015-I haven't heard of that.

Leave a comment:

• Jon66
    replied
    You cannot take lodgers or boarders which are the same as lodgers but with a meal provided. You can let but not to sharers only a family.

I think the lodger clause might not be enforceable as may constitute an unfair term under the CRA 2015.

Leave a comment:

• louisek
    started a topic Does this clause mean I can't sublet?

Does this clause mean I can't sublet?

Hi there,

1989 lease on a flat I'm contemplating bidding on at auction.

In one clause, the lease says the lessee is:

"Not to assign transfer sub-let or part with the possession of part only of the premises as distinguished from the entirety thereof" which makes me think I can let the flat to tenants as long as I rent the whole thing out.

But then in another clause (the fourth schedule) it says:

"Not to use the premises nor permit the same to be used for any trade business or profession nor shall any boarders or lodgers be taken in the Flat but the Lessee shall use the same for the purposes of a single self-contained private residential dwelling in the occupation of one family or household only"

which makes me think I can't rent it at all. Or is it just saying I can rent it out, but only to a single family (i.e. not to 2 unrelated lodgers)

If anyone has experience with these particular clauses I'd love to know.

Thanks!

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
    by andybenw
    I agree that you should have a very careful look at the condition of the building and what maintenance has taken place historically. The situation may be an advantage if the freeholder is intent on keeping the building in good condition due to the number of leases he/his family hold. Equally if all...
    28-09-2020, 10:45 AM
  • Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
    by phatfish
    I am buying a flat in a block of 11 where the landlord is a small company with two directors. One happens to be the owner of the lease i would take possession of.

The other does not own any of the leases directly, but some family members own at least 4 of them (maybe one or two more, i...
    27-09-2020, 17:43 PM
    by Section20z
    You need to be looking carefully at the service charge and how well the block is maintained. You could take the contrary view that they have a vested interest in maintaining the property and keeping costs reasonable.
    28-09-2020, 10:28 AM
  • 13 year back bill from freeholder
    by Carolinelambie21
    Hi , I can see a few topics similar to this but wanted some clarification.
    our freeholder hasn’t billed us since we bought our flat 13 years ago despite us asking him to.
    now we have notified we are selling so he has finally issued us a bill going back to 2007 for
    ground rent...
    28-09-2020, 08:06 AM
  • Reply to 13 year back bill from freeholder
    by Section20z
    No he can't but yes he can. If you are selling you really don't have much choice, if you begin a dispute then you will need to inform potential buyers who may be put off.
    If he's approachable why not offer 50% in full and final settlement, assuming you are obliged to pay insurance and electricity...
    28-09-2020, 08:18 AM
    by Macromia
    All leaseholders should be treated equally and in accordance with the terms of the lease. Unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Hypothetically, you have the same protections where the freeholder is a company owned by leaseholders, and run by directors who have a controlling interest,...
    28-09-2020, 01:19 AM
  • LPE1 Questions
    by comm1985
    For the purposes of LPE1 could someone clarify the below:

1. Slightly confused by the terms 'Managed Area' and 'Common Parts'. For a building of 4 standalone flats with no communal areas or entrances.

a) I assume the "Managed Area" is the building containing the...
    27-09-2020, 18:28 PM
  • Reply to LPE1 Questions
    by Macromia
    Managed area will include the building and any grounds, gardens, outbuildings, etc., basically anything that the leaseholders may be required to contribute to the maintenance of via service charges.

Common parts would include communal corridors, gardens, etc., and may also include parts...
    28-09-2020, 01:08 AM
  • management and maintenance costs for parking court
    by cooked
    sorry this may in the wrong forum but I could not see a forum title which was relevant
    my wife and I own (leasehold) two flats in a block of 3 flats
    each of the 3 flats has two parking spaces in a 30 space parking court
    in 2018, we became the RTM for the building but the parking court...
    25-09-2020, 22:30 PM
  • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
    by Macromia
    Without knowing what your "parking court" is like, I would think that all of the charges that you list would likely be considered reasonable - apart from the management fees (personally I would consider the accountancy/audit charges to be of no value whatsoever to leaseholders, and therefore...
    28-09-2020, 00:53 AM
Working...
X