Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this clause mean I can't sublet?

Hi there,

1989 lease on a flat I'm contemplating bidding on at auction.

In one clause, the lease says the lessee is:

"Not to assign transfer sub-let or part with the possession of part only of the premises as distinguished from the entirety thereof" which makes me think I can let the flat to tenants as long as I rent the whole thing out.

But then in another clause (the fourth schedule) it says:

"Not to use the premises nor permit the same to be used for any trade business or profession nor shall any boarders or lodgers be taken in the Flat but the Lessee shall use the same for the purposes of a single self-contained private residential dwelling in the occupation of one family or household only"

which makes me think I can't rent it at all. Or is it just saying I can rent it out, but only to a single family (i.e. not to 2 unrelated lodgers)

If anyone has experience with these particular clauses I'd love to know.

Thanks!

You cannot take lodgers or boarders which are the same as lodgers but with a meal provided. You can let but not to sharers only a family.

I think the lodger clause might not be enforceable as may constitute an unfair term under the CRA 2015.

Comment

Thanks, John. I appreciate you getting back and answering this question. Interesting to know about the CRA 2015-I haven't heard of that.

Comment

IMO you cannot use the Property for any of your suggestions, but may take in 1 or 2 lodgers whilst living in the Property.

Comment

Neither of the clauses you quote prevent sub-letting as a whole so long as the use is residential and the flat is occupied only by a single family or household.

Comment

The words assign, transfer and sub-let mean the same thing; hence according to that wording it seems to imply you cannot assign or sub-let part of the property nor take in any non-family persons to live with you as lodgers or borders.

Comment

The below means that you can't sell or lease PART of the flat. For example, grant a tenancy of a bedroom, or split the flat into multiple ownerships.
              "Not to assign transfer sub-let or part with the possession of part only of the premises as distinguished from the entirety thereof"

The below does not mean that you can't rent the property. It means that you can't use the flat as a place of conducting business.
              "Not to use the premises nor permit the same to be used for any trade business or profession nor shall any boarders or lodgers be taken in the Flat but the Lessee shall use the same for the purposes of a single self-contained private residential dwelling in the occupation of one family or household only"

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                by sgclacy
                The statutory price assuming 85% relativity gives a result of £15,250 (Capitalization rate 6% - but that hardly matters, 5% for deferment rate - in line with Sportelli)

So you are down £5,000 - so as I suggested earlier everyone takes a haircut - now it would be £1650 each - it really...
                09-08-2020, 22:58 PM
              • Managing Agents Massively Screwed Up Section 42
                by divadee
                We are the freeholders to a block of flats. We own the freehold in a limited company.

Apparently one of the flats issued a Section 42 back in April with a date of July for any counter offers.

Our managing agents have only just told us about this TODAY and we are way out of...
                04-08-2020, 12:24 PM
                by divadee
                We have learnt a bitter hard lesson about this. We will be doing this through our solicitor. We just thought we could rely on the managing agents, as they are company secretary's for the freehold company but live and learn.

Hopefully it will all be over one day, us moved out and onwards...
                09-08-2020, 20:16 PM
                by divadee
                S42 amount - 10,052
                lease length- 64 years
                property location - central south coast (where everyone is flocking too currently 😉)
                property value with a long lease - approx £160,000
                ground rent - £25 doubling every 25 years

Thank you for any help in advance....
                09-08-2020, 20:13 PM
              • Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by Matt F
                Hello. My flat is rented out - it's a leasehold and managed by a management company on behalf of an investment company who are the freeholder. Recently, while undertaking some other works, the surveyor noticed that the roof was sagging. Further investigation with a structural engineer has revealed that...
                09-08-2020, 17:48 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by Anna1985
                If I am not mistaken you are to have a new roof every 25 years? So it is worth bearing it in mind....
                09-08-2020, 19:31 PM
              • Reply to Freeholder Roof Maintenance
                by scot22
                Are owners working together ? If so commit to sharing the cost of disputing the charge.
                I think it essential to engage surveyor with leasehold knowledge to advise both on work and responsibility.
                It will cost so I suggest an escrow account to protect interests.
                09-08-2020, 18:25 PM
              • Building with FH owning commercial units and flats
                by Stacker
                Hi
                I have been reading through a lease for a property with a commercial shop on the ground floor and two flats above...the Flat leases pay ground rent but the service charge apportionment is unclear....it does not state a percentage and I cant see it is apportioned by area the only percentage...
                09-08-2020, 17:16 PM
              • Reply to Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                by scot22
                The list is long because it is an onerous responsibility. My mantra was is everyone does a little no-one has to do a lot. Unfortunately everyone didn't.
                Remember people will move and new owners have different attitude. My experience is limited to one block but also voluntary organisations....
                09-08-2020, 12:50 PM
              • Tools for RTMC & Block self-management experience
                by stokey83
                Hi,
                1) We shall soon acquire the management function of our block (RTMC) and do not intend to appoint a managing agent. What are the simple tools available online for managing company accounts / service charges, contractors, maintenance/repairs, building docs, etc?
                2) I am also interested...
                07-08-2020, 15:48 PM
              Working...
              X