Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query re: Radiator installation on Leasehold flat

Hello
    I need a new radiator and freeholder have given written permission to go ahead, they know pipe work will need to be changed as rad is very old and new rads need new pipework.
    While getting some quotes a plumber (not gas safe registered) said he could do it.
    I felt a bit silly asking this question to my freeholder, as I thought it was only gas appliances like boilers, gas fires, ovens etc that needed a gas safe engineer, but decided to risk asking a silly question to the freeholder to make sure.
    I asked them if a gas safe engineer was needed to install a radiator, just a replacement like for like, but more modern.
    Expecting them to say "Of course not" best check and risk looking silly than making a mistake but their answer surprised me.
    It wasn't the lease office who answered me due to COVID restrictions they are working from home, but their contact centre said I DO need a gas safe engineer to replace the radiator.
    The HSE site seems to say I don't. The link and quote is from the health and safety executive, so now I am confused.
    https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords...eckswhocan.htm

A non-registered person may carry out ‘wet work’, ie install water pipes and radiators for a heating system, but any work on the gas boiler itself and the final connection of the water pipework to the boiler, must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Can anyone tell me, do I need a gas safe engineer to replace the radiator, or can a normal plumber do it?
    Thanks

Why would you need a gas safe engineer to replace a radiator?

Gas safe registered tradesmen are only needed if they will be working on gas appliances or the gas pipes that supply those appliances.
    I suppose that an argument could be made if the pipes from the radiator are very close to the boiler (on the potentially dubious grounds that the boiler may need checking for damage resulting from vibrations travelling along the pipes while the work was being carried out), but that's all.

Presumably your freeholder also requires you to get a gas safe registered plumber to do the work if a washer needs replacing on a hot water tap (or any other plumbing where the pipes are eventually connected to your boiler).

Comment

Ask a silly question...get a silly answer.

Comment

Do you ask your freeholder when you need to change toilet roll

Comment

Hi Macromia
          Thanks for your response - that's what I thought.
          To be honest, I felt a bit silly asking my freeholder as I thought they would say "of course not' Lease office is working at home cos of COVID, possibly staff member who said I do need gas safe engineer might have got it slightly wrong as they know a bit about leases, but I daresay not as much as the designated lease office.
          Rad not cose to boiler.
          Freeholder said ok for plumber to fix stopcock.
          Can't think of any other reason why they would think I'd need gas safe just to replace rad.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            Ask a silly question...get a silly answer.
            I thought I was just being cautious, as I have made errors in the past and have had to get retrospective permission, leases are a pain in the proverbial.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
              Do you ask your freeholder when you need to change toilet roll
              LOL that would surely cheese them off, but they have needed permission in the past, on t things I have just gone ahead and done, nothing great. I replaced another radiator on my own property, misunderstood lease, thinking only need permission for things what would change the plans, but when they found out I had changed a radiator in the past, they were not very happy, so I err on the side of caution now, not as far as loo roll though

Comment

Daisy, I emphasise with your attitude. It is always safer to check things to avoid possible future problems, especially if you are dealing with people who have been picky in the past.

Comment

As you have pointed out, the HSE advice is that a gas safe engineer is not required for this work. Therefore your freeholder is being unreasonable in asking you to use one as a condition of approval.

In the past my freeholder put a condition on an approval that was impossible for me to comply with. When I pointed that out, they were happy to alter the requirement to something more reasonable.

I am sure if you go back to your freeholder with the information you have obtained from the HSE they will be content to reconsider their position.

Comment

In 35 years nobody has ever asked my consent to change a radiator in a leasehold flat and I would have no clue as to style and position of any systems.
                    In fact I would guess that I have never been inside 98% of the flats.
                    I'm clearly missing a trick....

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
                      Daisy, I emphasise with your attitude. It is always safer to check things to avoid possible future problems, especially if you are dealing with people who have been picky in the past.
                      Yeah, now that Health and Safety Executive say on their site I don't need a gas safe engineer I am happy. No point in phoning freeholder again with same question.

Comment

chris1544,

The lease office is actually working from home, so I had to go through the contact centre. I imagine the contact centre staff are really busy dealing with other people, do I really have to phone them again with the same question? I hate phoning.

Comment

Section20z,

Ours say pipework, I got consent for pipework, radiator nowhere near boiler, so as long as plumber doesn't touch boiler I should be ok.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, just to let you know, I had a stoke of luck, I got an accredited heating and plumbing firm to do my work next Monday. The freeholder wanted me to get emergency plumbers, no matter how much the cost but they can be cowboys and I refused to risk more damage liability. Also, leak detection company came and he found no leaks in my flat, apart from the radiator, it's not exactly contained, the valve leaks, got to keep putting toilet roll there, and changing it when it soaks, and a towel around the pipes for backup, but I only have to wait a week.

Comment

Pleased to hear a good outcome.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
                                by phatfish
                                I am buying a flat in a block of 11 where the landlord is a small company with two directors. One happens to be the owner of the lease i would take possession of.

The other does not own any of the leases directly, but some family members own at least 4 of them (maybe one or two more, i...
                                27-09-2020, 17:43 PM
                              • Reply to Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
                                by Macromia
                                All leaseholders should be treated equally and in accordance with the terms of the lease. Unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Hypothetically, you have the same protections where the freeholder is a company owned by leaseholders, and run by directors who have a controlling interest,...
                                28-09-2020, 01:19 AM
                              • LPE1 Questions
                                by comm1985
                                For the purposes of LPE1 could someone clarify the below:

1. Slightly confused by the terms 'Managed Area' and 'Common Parts'. For a building of 4 standalone flats with no communal areas or entrances.

a) I assume the "Managed Area" is the building containing the...
                                27-09-2020, 18:28 PM
                              • Reply to LPE1 Questions
                                by Macromia
                                Managed area will include the building and any grounds, gardens, outbuildings, etc., basically anything that the leaseholders may be required to contribute to the maintenance of via service charges.

Common parts would include communal corridors, gardens, etc., and may also include parts...
                                28-09-2020, 01:08 AM
                              • management and maintenance costs for parking court
                                by cooked
                                sorry this may in the wrong forum but I could not see a forum title which was relevant
                                my wife and I own (leasehold) two flats in a block of 3 flats
                                each of the 3 flats has two parking spaces in a 30 space parking court
                                in 2018, we became the RTM for the building but the parking court...
                                25-09-2020, 22:30 PM
                              • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
                                by Macromia
                                Without knowing what your "parking court" is like, I would think that all of the charges that you list would likely be considered reasonable - apart from the management fees (personally I would consider the accountancy/audit charges to be of no value whatsoever to leaseholders, and therefore...
                                28-09-2020, 00:53 AM
                                by phatfish
                                Hi Scot,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i worded that badly, all i meant was the lease has a provision that states that all leaseholders are responsible for an equal share of a service charge and i have no reason to believe one lease is different from another.

I did familiarize...
                                27-09-2020, 20:52 PM
                              • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
                                by cooked
                                The fees charged to us for the parking court have risen slightly in the last few years and there was no reduction when we took over the management of the building.
                                The management of the parking court remained with the original management company even though the management of the building itself...
                                27-09-2020, 19:27 PM
                                by scot22
                                The Freeholder MUST abide by the lease and any leasehold ownership can be problematic. I doubt if you have to pay whatever is demanded. It would have to be expenditure justified by the lease and be reasonable.
                                I suggest looking on the LEASE site where there is a wealth of information.
                                27-09-2020, 18:25 PM
                              • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
                                by Macromia
                                I would agree that it may be cheaper in the long run if the window frames are the responsibility of the leaseholder, but would not necessarily agree that a tribunal would say that the leaseholder is responsible for the frames.

Especially if this was argued well, I think that it s more likely...
                                27-09-2020, 18:06 PM
                              Working...
                              X