Right to use the garden?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to use the garden?

Hi I am looking into trying to get the right to extend into the garden which is shared (4flats) and looking at the lease it says

The right in common with all others entitled to the like right to use and enjoy the rear garden at the property.

Does this mean we jointly own the garden or not ? It doesn't sound like It!

It's the Landlord's. You only have the right to use the garden along with you neighbours.

You need to talk to your Landlord.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmynitcher View Post
      Hi I am looking into trying to get the right to extend into the garden which is shared (4flats) and looking at the lease it says

The right in common with all others entitled to the like right to use and enjoy the rear garden at the property.

Does this mean we jointly own the garden or not ? It doesn't sound like It!
      Are you trying to annex part or the whole garden?

Comment

Originally posted by Tipper View Post
        You need to talk to your Landlord.
        If the other tenants also have rights you need to talk to them too.

Comment

Yes the other tenants are agreeable but one pointed out the 'right to use' element that we all have on our leases.

I would like to buy the whole garden so I can not only extend another room into it but also change it to my entrance way.

I got the address of the free holder off the land registry, they have hundreds of properties apparently. They use a third party agency to deal with all enquiries who literally charge hundreds for every exchange.

I was thinking of sending a letter to them asking if they would consider selling it to me direct, what do you think of this idea?

Thanks for your help folks.

Comment

As lawcruncher says, even if you did manage to buy the garden you will need still the agreement to vary the leases of the 3 other flats.
            They would be very foolish to give up their rights lightly.
            It could be very costly.

Comment

I've just had an idea, if it's only 'righ to use' what if the freeholder sold me the garden and we left the leases. I'm only planning to use half the garden !

Comment

Also the other flats leases are all on 85 , so they might be amenable for some cash from me ...can they be altered when they are renewed?

Comment

I think it would be cheaper to buy a property with the bigger garden.

You need all stakeholders to agree and why would they.

Comment

Because they dont use the garden and they need cash to renew their leases. Plus I can throw in a balcony and door for the flat above which currently has nothing.
                    If the leases are being renewed the changes can be made then.
                    I am happy with the position of the flat , to get a ground floor one with a garden in this area is very rare and I would be going through more hassle with the buying and selling and moving, so I dont really see how that is less inconvenient!

Comment

It's not the size of the garden that matter anyway

Comment

The freeholder can't sell you the garden without amending the leases of the other leaseholders who have a right to use it.

The value of the leases would be considerably diminished without access to a garden (right now properties with gardens are at a premium because of the plague). So they'd want some kind of compensation - which could be a longer lease (but that's not really in the freeholder's interest either).

I don't really see why anyone else would want to agree to what you want to do, which sounds extremely expensive to me.
                        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jimmynitcher View Post
                          Because they dont use the garden and they need cash to renew their leases. Plus I can throw in a balcony and door for the flat above which currently has nothing.
                          If the leases are being renewed the changes can be made then.
                          I am happy with the position of the flat , to get a ground floor one with a garden in this area is very rare and I would be going through more hassle with the buying and selling and moving, so I dont really see how that is less inconvenient!
                          Ok, so let us say the other leaseholders ask 50k each, freeholder -100k.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to I've breached my lease
                            by sid1956
                            First of all, you should not be stating or implying to anyone, least of all your landlord, that you have breached the lease. An admission of a breach saves the landlord the trouble of having to determine that a breach has occurred and has no benefit whatsoever to you.

From your description...
                            12-07-2020, 21:15 PM
                          • I've breached my lease
                            by pcuk1979
                            Hi there. I hope someone can help me because I have been frantic with worry for 3 days now. This is a bit long!

I bought a leasehold flat in July 2014. Since I've been here, I have done everything to it to bring it up to a modern acceptable standard. Note that the floorpan of the property...
                            12-07-2020, 14:00 PM
                          • Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
                            by rfph1
                            Ok, the situation is this...

I am a director of the freehold management company for a small block of flats (other directors being leaseholders like myself).

Earlier this year we had some banking issues and changed from one of the big high street banks to an on-line bank....
                            10-07-2020, 17:36 PM
                          • Reply to Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
                            by rfph1
                            thank you - the clarification on the need to accept cask is appreciated.

I'm aware that Tide has issues, but so to did out high street bank (complaint made to financial ombudsman pending)
                            12-07-2020, 18:40 PM
                            by pcuk1979
                            Here's some more

Comply with and observes such regulations as the Council may from time to time make for the benefit of the owners and occupiers of the said flats and in particular but without prejudice to the foregoing to comply with the regulations made at the date hereof and set out...
                            12-07-2020, 15:58 PM
                            by Macromia
                            For a start:
                            1. Any clause that says that you have to keep floors carpeted, or can't have wooden floors.
                            2. Any clause that states that you need inform the freeholder, and/or get freeholder's permission, for non structural alterations.
                            3. Any clause that requires you not to do anything...
                            12-07-2020, 15:24 PM
                            by pcuk1979
                            I thought that ground floors only were allowed wooden floors.

And you're right, if I was in my buyer's shoes, I would hate the guy who sold them a flat with clearly weakened soundproofing qualities. I mean, it wasn't great anyway, but it was liveable.

What clauses should I...
                            12-07-2020, 15:04 PM
                            by Macromia
                            Rather than withdrawing from the sale, you could just inform the buyers solicitor that you initially answered these questions thinking that they referred only to structural changes, but would like to inform them of the work that you have done.
                            It will then be up to the buyer whether they continue...
                            12-07-2020, 15:03 PM
                            by pcuk1979
                            I also have no Building Regulations certificates, even though I may have decreased the acoustic and thermal properties of the building.
                            12-07-2020, 15:00 PM
                            by Macromia
                            Nothing that you have said that you have done to your flat seems to breach the lease clauses that you have quoted - but that doesn't mean that you have breached clauses that you haven't quoted as you clearly haven't quoted all potentially relevant clauses in full.

It sounds more like the...
                            12-07-2020, 14:59 PM
                          Working...
                          X