Month 13 additional service charge payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Month 13 additional service charge payment

A resolution was passed to require leaseholders to make an additional month 13 payment to increase reserve fund. Does this require every year a formal request along with summary of rights and responsibilities?

Probably not the right answer but I would be asking to see the minutes of the AGM or the special meeting where it was passed. There must be notes and minutes recorded. Reach out to any of the directors on the management committee to obtain. If no such detail is present I would be querying it most strongly.

I have a personal bug bear with reserve funds as once helped out a friend who's reserve fund was being spent on things it should not have been. The directors were just agreeing with works proposed by the managing agent who in turn did not have a clue as to who was responsible for the works. I found the majority of the directors had no real clue what they were doing, if it were my money I would have been furious.

If AGM's or similar are taking place then attend and challenge challenge challenge in my humble view.

Just my personal view

All the best Stew.

Comment

Thanks Stew for a prompt and helpful reply. Fortunately the money is being used properly. The concern is it the correct process is not being followed some may work out of not paying with an obvious excuse.

Comment

Does the lease state there must be a reserve / sinking fund, as if it does not, then none can be implemented.

Comment

Thanks ram. It was a unanimous A.G.M decision. Unfortunately, at the time, it was not properly explored legally. For about 15 years everyone has paid in response to a formal service charge demand. Even if this is done can I assume people can refuse anyhow ?

Comment

Originally posted by scot22 View Post
            can I assume people can refuse ?
            If the lease does not state you are obliged to contribute to a reserve fund, then you can decline to pay into one. Don't forget to put money aside yourself, at the same rate it was suggested.

A reserve fund must be for something specific, and be itemised and quantified, and that money should not be spent on anything other than what i was being saved for, otherwise if spent on other possible emergency work, you end up with a shortfall for that which you were saving for when the time comes.

If any flat is sold, the new occupant can insist that a reserve fund, if not in the lease, is illegal ( It HAS happened )

A decision by Directors / shareholders to alter the lease to add a reserve fund, or anything else, if not in the lease, is not legal unless the leases are changed, by a Deed of variation, through a tribunal ( F.T.T. ) .

I assume there is no provision in the lease for a reserve fund ?

If there is a provision in the lease for a reserve fund, ( and even if not ) and the contributions are not enough to obtain the amount required by a certain time, of course best to increase payments.
            Don't forget, if to sell up, you don't get that money back from the reserve fund.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• I've breached my lease
              by pcuk1979
              Hi there. I hope someone can help me because I have been frantic with worry for 3 days now. This is a bit long!

I bought a leasehold flat in July 2014. Since I've been here, I have done everything to it to bring it up to a modern acceptable standard. Note that the floorpan of the property...
              12-07-2020, 14:00 PM
            • Reply to I've breached my lease
              by sid1956
              First of all, you should not be stating or implying to anyone, least of all your landlord, that you have breached the lease. An admission of a breach saves the landlord the trouble of having to determine that a breach has occurred and has no benefit whatsoever to you.

From your description...
              12-07-2020, 21:15 PM
            • Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
              by rfph1
              Ok, the situation is this...

I am a director of the freehold management company for a small block of flats (other directors being leaseholders like myself).

Earlier this year we had some banking issues and changed from one of the big high street banks to an on-line bank....
              10-07-2020, 17:36 PM
            • Reply to Leaseholder refuses to pay into our bank account !?!?
              by rfph1
              thank you - the clarification on the need to accept cask is appreciated.

I'm aware that Tide has issues, but so to did out high street bank (complaint made to financial ombudsman pending)
              12-07-2020, 18:40 PM
              by pcuk1979
              Here's some more

Comply with and observes such regulations as the Council may from time to time make for the benefit of the owners and occupiers of the said flats and in particular but without prejudice to the foregoing to comply with the regulations made at the date hereof and set out...
              12-07-2020, 15:58 PM
              by Macromia
              For a start:
              1. Any clause that says that you have to keep floors carpeted, or can't have wooden floors.
              2. Any clause that states that you need inform the freeholder, and/or get freeholder's permission, for non structural alterations.
              3. Any clause that requires you not to do anything...
              12-07-2020, 15:24 PM
              by pcuk1979
              I thought that ground floors only were allowed wooden floors.

And you're right, if I was in my buyer's shoes, I would hate the guy who sold them a flat with clearly weakened soundproofing qualities. I mean, it wasn't great anyway, but it was liveable.

What clauses should I...
              12-07-2020, 15:04 PM
              by Macromia
              Rather than withdrawing from the sale, you could just inform the buyers solicitor that you initially answered these questions thinking that they referred only to structural changes, but would like to inform them of the work that you have done.
              It will then be up to the buyer whether they continue...
              12-07-2020, 15:03 PM
              by pcuk1979
              I also have no Building Regulations certificates, even though I may have decreased the acoustic and thermal properties of the building.
              12-07-2020, 15:00 PM
              by Macromia
              Nothing that you have said that you have done to your flat seems to breach the lease clauses that you have quoted - but that doesn't mean that you have breached clauses that you haven't quoted as you clearly haven't quoted all potentially relevant clauses in full.

It sounds more like the...
              12-07-2020, 14:59 PM
            Working...
            X