Landlord is ignoring a s76 management audit notice. What can we do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord is ignoring a s76 management audit notice. What can we do?

Hi there,

we've appointed an auditor who has sent a s80 audit notice to carry out a s76 management audit (https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ment-audits-2/).
    The landlord is unresponsive and ignoring the notice.

I realise that s81(4) (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1993/28/section/81) says that the auditor can apply to the court to force the auditor to comply.

Is this a successful route to pursue? Would you recommend any other course of action?
    Would welcome any views on this.

Thank you.

Set up RTM to take over administration of the service charge account.

Comment

Thank you.
      We are indeed doing that.

But we still need to get comfortable that the balances etc are correct when we take over.
      And the landlord is not cooperating, so I was wondering whether (other than applying to the court) there is any other route we could pursue.

Comment

Leaseholders have the right to inspect the service charge documents after the audited accounts have been provided to leaseholders..

The unspent service charge money belongs to the leaseholders and a mojority of leaseholders ( RTM , a nil asset company )) could threaten to report the freeholder to the Police for suspected fraud.

The RTM has powers to demand information on the service charge money after the freeholder has agreed to take over of service charge administration by the RTM. Before the RTM commences , the service charge administration is still under the freeholder.

Buy a copy of the RICS Residential Management Code which sets the "standard for management" of service charge accounts. Costs about £25 to buy or you may view a copy online.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
          by phatfish
          I am buying a flat in a block of 11 where the landlord is a small company with two directors. One happens to be the owner of the lease i would take possession of.

The other does not own any of the leases directly, but some family members own at least 4 of them (maybe one or two more, i...
          27-09-2020, 17:43 PM
        • Reply to Freeholder owns a number of leases, is this something to avoid?
          by Macromia
          All leaseholders should be treated equally and in accordance with the terms of the lease. Unfortunately this isn't always what happens.

Hypothetically, you have the same protections where the freeholder is a company owned by leaseholders, and run by directors who have a controlling interest,...
          28-09-2020, 01:19 AM
        • LPE1 Questions
          by comm1985
          For the purposes of LPE1 could someone clarify the below:

1. Slightly confused by the terms 'Managed Area' and 'Common Parts'. For a building of 4 standalone flats with no communal areas or entrances.

a) I assume the "Managed Area" is the building containing the...
          27-09-2020, 18:28 PM
        • Reply to LPE1 Questions
          by Macromia
          Managed area will include the building and any grounds, gardens, outbuildings, etc., basically anything that the leaseholders may be required to contribute to the maintenance of via service charges.

Common parts would include communal corridors, gardens, etc., and may also include parts...
          28-09-2020, 01:08 AM
        • management and maintenance costs for parking court
          by cooked
          sorry this may in the wrong forum but I could not see a forum title which was relevant
          my wife and I own (leasehold) two flats in a block of 3 flats
          each of the 3 flats has two parking spaces in a 30 space parking court
          in 2018, we became the RTM for the building but the parking court...
          25-09-2020, 22:30 PM
        • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
          by Macromia
          Without knowing what your "parking court" is like, I would think that all of the charges that you list would likely be considered reasonable - apart from the management fees (personally I would consider the accountancy/audit charges to be of no value whatsoever to leaseholders, and therefore...
          28-09-2020, 00:53 AM
          by phatfish
          Hi Scot,

Thanks for the reply. Yes i worded that badly, all i meant was the lease has a provision that states that all leaseholders are responsible for an equal share of a service charge and i have no reason to believe one lease is different from another.

I did familiarize...
          27-09-2020, 20:52 PM
        • Reply to management and maintenance costs for parking court
          by cooked
          The fees charged to us for the parking court have risen slightly in the last few years and there was no reduction when we took over the management of the building.
          The management of the parking court remained with the original management company even though the management of the building itself...
          27-09-2020, 19:27 PM
          by scot22
          The Freeholder MUST abide by the lease and any leasehold ownership can be problematic. I doubt if you have to pay whatever is demanded. It would have to be expenditure justified by the lease and be reasonable.
          I suggest looking on the LEASE site where there is a wealth of information.
          27-09-2020, 18:25 PM
        • Reply to Responsibility of window frames
          by Macromia
          I would agree that it may be cheaper in the long run if the window frames are the responsibility of the leaseholder, but would not necessarily agree that a tribunal would say that the leaseholder is responsible for the frames.

Especially if this was argued well, I think that it s more likely...
          27-09-2020, 18:06 PM
        Working...
        X