Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stum
    replied
    cheers just have to pay up myself as usual.........learned my lesson buying a leasehold flat in the UK, esp added to the costs and bad management, is the cost of lease extensions, or loose money on the property as well.

Leave a comment:

• Macromia
    replied
    Originally posted by stum View Post
    Does that seem fair??
    Service charges rarely are truly 'fair'.
    However, there are significant differences between the examples you give:

Although, in the instance you describe the intercom repairs may have been in a single flat, all flats presumably have the same intercom system, and all could potentially need similar repairs at different times (although if it clearly was physical damage caused by the flats residents, there is a very good argument that they should pay the full cost themselves). It is presumably accepted by all leaseholders that repairs to the intercom system can be included in service charge costs - it might even be mentioned in the leases. Similarly, repair/replacement of window frames may be something that would be included as part of the service charge, even though work may affect only one or two flats.

A significant consideration with regard to the bird prevention measures is that this sounds like it is not a repair/replacement of existing deterrents, but is instead an improvement.
    Many leases don't allow for the cost of improvements to be recovered as a part of the service charge. If your lease doesn't allow improvements, the cost of this work couldn't be part of the service charge without express agreement of all leaseholders who would be expected to contribute - even if the freeholder was happy to do so.

Leave a comment:

• stum
    replied
    OK I get the general feeling, byr regarding the fact that this only affects my car spot I accept, so why does the service charge cover the replacement (at significantly higher cost than £150) to replace a broken intercom phone (only) in a flat?? Surely that being inside a flat is the same, it only affects the person in that flat. And for all I know was physically broken rather than just packed up!!
    Does that seem fair??

Leave a comment:

• TruthLedger
    replied
    Where does the poo land on your car? roof? bonnet? I suggest using a full or part car cover, or buying car detailer spray which dissolves bird droppings in literary seconds. Then again, if it's only going to cost you £150 that is a bird drop in the ocean compared to the hundreds of thousands other leaseholders are forking out for waking watch, cladding removal, etc. which most building owners are refusing to pay for. You are going to be dealing with a potentially larger expense in a no distant feature because the cladding scam is NOW spreading to ALL leaseholders who live in a block.

Regardless of flammable cladding or not, blocks currently require an EWS survey (not cheap) and most likely sprinklers and upgraded fire systems. We are talking thousands of pounds leaseholders will have to pay when we don't even own one inch of our homes...now, that I call unreasonable.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Why imagine the management company would pay for something that only benefitted one person?

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Get an artist friend to paint a 'bird's eye view' of a hawk on the roof of your car.

Leave a comment:

• Lizbeth
    replied
    What about a tarpaulin over the car overnight? I guess it would have to fold up and live in the boot during the day.

Leave a comment:

• GrumpyGit
    replied
    It's annoying, but I can't really see it's the managements companies fault.

If you think it would cause problems with any potential tenant, I suggest you just bite the bullet and pay for plastic spiky things yourself and factor the cost into your rental

Leave a comment:

• stum
    started a topic Bird droppings

Bird droppings

Can anyone please give advice...I have a flat in a purose built block,(30 in total) my lease includes a dedicated car space. My problem is that the car space is directly underneath a gable end of the block and at that point is above the second floor, this is the only car space that has this problem. It is a perfect advantage point for pigeons, so every morning my car is covered in poo, there is no water in the carpark. I have requested that I would supply some of the plastic pointy bird repellants if the management company can pay for them being fitted, (being over 2 floors high a cherry picker is required at £150). They have refused to pay and told me it is my problem. I am thinking of renting the flat out, and I guess no tenant would put up with this and would ask me as the landlord to fix it.
    Anyone have any views on this...is my freeholder and management company being unreasonable?

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X