Laminate flooring with no subfloor/underlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laminate flooring with no subfloor/underlay

Hi, hope everyone is staying safe and well during these times.

I have a couple of questions and hope someone can help me. I am a tenant and have just rented the property and its a first floor flat. When I moved in the landlord already had laminate flooring in place, some of the panels are coming loose so I have to slide them back into place but when doing so I notice that underneath there is no underlay/subfloor. I've read how annoying laminate flooring can be for my downstairs neighbours and without underlay it must be even worse for them.

So my questions are:
    •Is it okay or legal for the landlord to have put laminate flooring without underlay?

•Who would be responsible for changing the flooring or adding underlay?

It might not be OK, but it's probably legal.
    It's possible that the landlords own lease has something about the requirements for the floor.

The landlord would be responsible for replacing the floor.

However, unless someone downstairs complains, it's not an issue.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

My downstairs neighbours has talked to me about it and said they have complained to the landlord and previous tenants about it and nothing was down.

Comment

Short of buying a rug, there's not much you can do.

Unless you have a bizarre tenancy agreement, you won't be able to do anything about the floor even if you wanted to.
        It's quite possible that the people downstairs can raise the issue with the freeholder/management committee (if there is one); it's possible your landlord's lease contains restrictions about noise or flooring, they're quite common.

But your neighbours need to understand (and probably do) that there's nothing you can do about the flooring or the noise.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

There is something you can do, read the lease and ask the landlord if wood is permitted, if yes then carry on if not then there is an obligation on the flat owner to put adequate soundproofing materials down including carpet. Take to FTT if necessary for determination or ask LEASE.org

Comment

This is a tenant, not the leaseholder who is the landlord.
            They won't have a copy of the lease, or be obliged to follow its obligations.

Comment

lots of folks fit laminate with just cheap 2mm white underlay , can`t imagine it would make a lot of acoustic difference

https://www.british-flooring.co.uk/p...QaAsNOEALw_wcB

if the laminate itself is faulty its down to the landlord to fix it , you could slip and injure yourself .

Comment

Originally posted by Nyxie View Post
                When I moved in the landlord already had laminate flooring in place, some of the panels are coming loose so I have to slide them back into place
                That is dangerous.

You should report the defect to your landlord (or he might claim at the end of the tenancy that you caused the damage).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X