Service Charge Court Hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Service Charge Court Hearing

I had a scheduled court hearing with regards to Service Charge Arrears in April. The court sent N159 with an option to deal with the claim on paper alone or postpone till after July. I am not keen on this to be dealt with by papers alone, however, I received a letter from the claimant's solicitors in which they agree for this to be dealt on papers alone. If I don't agree to it, will this affect my case in the actual court hearing?

It depends on the reasons for your preference.
    It isn't meant to matter, but it might in reality.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Purple80 View Post
      I had a scheduled court hearing with regards to Service Charge Arrears in April. The court sent N159 with an option to deal with the claim on paper alone or postpone till after July. I am not keen on this to be dealt with by papers alone, however, I received a letter from the claimant's solicitors in which they agree for this to be dealt on papers alone. If I don't agree to it, will this affect my case in the actual court hearing?
      If this is the county court then surely it will just be transferred to FTT, in which case you can say yes and save a wasted day ¿

Comment

Surly this question should be in Leasehold, as rent paying tenants don't pay service charges, The leaseholder pays.
        If you have not paid service charges, then expect to lose big time.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple80 View Post
          Like RAM says...do you think you owe the monies? Can they be justified for payments against what is in your LEASE? In all honesty like RAM and other say, pay what you can and ask the court for for the matter to be transferred to FTT asap otherwise they could charge you legal costs and then you would owe more!

Comment

However, I assumed you owe money, or is it Someone owes you money.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              However, I assumed you owe money, or is it Someone owes you money.
              In that case HE would be the claimant and unlikely to be writing to himself :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                In that case HE would be the claimant and unlikely to be writing to himself :-)
                This post was originally in Residential letting, so was unsure who was doing what to whom, how and why, see Post number 4.

Comment

I have experience with both court and Property Tribunal for service charges. I can honestly say Court is only interested in settling the money side, they are not thorough with the paper work and the judge I got was really angry that it had been brought to court and not to the Tribunal. Tribunal scrutinises paperwork and the lease and I found was patient with you when you represent yourself. After the experience in court, although I didn’t loose I would alway go for the Tribunal instead.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Negotiating a lease extension
                    by LizLease
                    Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                    I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                    I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                    I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                    21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
                  • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                    by sgclacy
                    If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
                    22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
                  • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                    by Gordon999
                    I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
                    22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
                  • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                    by mpppen
                    I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
                    21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
                  • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                    by Lat
                    I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

The criteria in my case is...

1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
                    2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
                    04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
                  • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                    by Lat
                    What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

The Process.
                    22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
                  • Dissolve company and regain shares
                    by LaraJara21
                    Good afternoon

I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
                    22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
                  • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                    by Gordon999
                    The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
                    22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
                  • Right to Manage Costs
                    by Pariah81
                    Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                    21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
                  • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                    by ram

You can't do that, as where is the money going to come from ?
                    You cant give them back the money they gave towards the RTM - as then WHO pays for the RTM legal fees ? - You ?
                    It can't come out of the service charges.
                    You can pay ONE of the Directors, say $ 500 per year to administer
                    22-09-2021, 10:03 AM
                  Working...
                  X