Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stew
    replied
    Not what you are asking, but if there are similar landlords in this block of flats and other resident lease holders who are being subjected to many nickle and dime charges that you mention might we worth getting together and forcing a buy out of the freehold especially if this is a long term investment. As I understand it you need 50% of the leaseholders to do this. This would depend also on how long your current leases are and if you want to extend them, if so it can become quite cost effective to buy out the freehold.

Only my personal view so take advice before acting on anything I say.

All the best Stew.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon999
    replied
    I think the registration of document applies if it affects the property title such as change of leaseholder's name after sale of leasehold flat . The AST agreement does not give the monthly rental tenant any rights to become the leaseholder under the lease and the responsibility for paying ground rent and service charge remains with the current leaseholder ( named at Land Registry records ) .

Leave a comment:

• Paulsen
    replied
    Hi my lease is similar, would the fee be payable every time you get a new tenant? Does it have to be requested by the freeholder?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Could be - it would make sense.

Leave a comment:

• MdeB
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    And the charge is limited to £36.00
    I thought there was a judgement that such charges could be increased in line with inflation even if the lease did not provide for it.
    (sorry, no reference, just recalling, maybe imperfectly, replies to a thread in the last couple of years).

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    An AST would be an underlease.

You'd need to quote the exact text, but from what you've written the charge would be a one off per AST rather than an annual licence and the money should be paid to the Landlord's Solicitor not the freeholder. And the charge is limited to £36.00

The rest of the lease might vary the above, because they may allow variation to some terms and amounts, so the £30 plus VAT may have gone up.

Leave a comment:

• RHibbert
    started a topic Freeholder requesting 'license fee' for AST

Freeholder requesting 'license fee' for AST

I own a leasehold flat which is renedt out on an AST and my freeholder is constantly finding new ways in which to nickle and dime us leaseholders for extra costs. The latest is a 'Subletting Licence' for which an annual rent of £48.00 is charged. The freeholder cites a clause in my lease relating to 'assignment charge underlease or any other devolution relating to the Premises to produce for registration with the Landlord's solicitor such deed or document and to pay the Landlord's Solicitor charges of Thirty pounds plus VAT for the registration of every such document'. I am pretty sure this would relate only if I was to sell the property and not in the case of assigning an AST?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Group Freeholder wants to replace new windows unnecessarily - what to do?
    by scot22
    So sorry to hear of your partner 's issues.
    I agree with posts already given. A key word in legal matters is reasonable. To charge an excessive amount of money to replace sound windows is patently unreasonable. In my opinion it is rock solid your partner should not have any financial charges....
    22-01-2021, 22:38 PM
  • Group Freeholder wants to replace new windows unnecessarily - what to do?
    by Boab
    Hi all

This is a request for help for my partner who is the long term leaseholder on a ground floor flat/maisonette in a detached house owned by a large group.

The freeholder is demanding all the double glazing be replaced at a cost IRO £8000. My partner simply cannot afford...
    21-01-2021, 14:33 PM
  • Reply to S146 Notice and subsequent Events
    by Anna1985
    eagle2 - why? The leaseholder doesn't engage, there is a somebody who claims to be an interested party, without any proof of authority to action.

There is no legal standing so far, unless the so called representative will provide the paperwork required.

If it happens after...
    22-01-2021, 18:17 PM
  • S146 Notice and subsequent Events
    by Steve001
    We have served a S146 Notice to a Leaseholder who has abandoned the Flat. The Flat was given to the Leaseholder originally by a relative and he has run up significant debts which mean there is no equity in the Flat sale proceeds. In addition, there is drug activity evidence and the Flat has been subsequently...
    21-01-2021, 10:39 AM
    by eagle2
    This is different, we have a freeholder who has had dealings with the leaseholder and is likely to know if a letter is genuine....
    22-01-2021, 16:02 PM
    by Jon66
    It isn't enough to simply provide a letter of authority these days I'm afraid. Anyone acting on just a letter of authority when dealing with property matters and a possible conveyance would be negligent. Particularly when doubts have already been raised about the persons identity which is why a passport...
    22-01-2021, 15:39 PM
  • Reply to Pet consent
    by jpkeates
    The constraints on terms in consumer contracts with landlords are not the same as those between freeholders and leaseholders.

There's nothing specific in the consumer rights act that says that a landlord has to allow pets, but that was part of some older Office of Fair Trading (now called...
    22-01-2021, 15:05 PM
  • Pet consent
    by Nat1178
    Hi, I don’t know why but my previous post was unapproved. SO let me repost this topic.

I just exchanged the contact for a leasehold property. The freeholder’s agent is {Name removed}.

My lease requires freeholder’s consent for keeping a pet. I have a cat and need consent...
    12-12-2020, 10:05 AM
  • Reply to Pet consent
    by Jon66
    I requested permission for a house cat to the freeholders managing agent on behalf of a prospective tenant. Permission was given after 5 days provided it was a house cat and did not defecate outside. Perfectly reasonable, and she was a lovely tenant with a cute cat. No additional damage to the property...
    22-01-2021, 14:51 PM
  • Reply to Pet consent
    by eagle2
    Someone has drawn my attention to the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and stated that a landlord cannot unreasonably refuse permission for a pet to be kept. Has anyone else come across this?...
    22-01-2021, 14:17 PM
Working...
X