Freeholder requesting 'license fee' for AST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder requesting 'license fee' for AST

I own a leasehold flat which is renedt out on an AST and my freeholder is constantly finding new ways in which to nickle and dime us leaseholders for extra costs. The latest is a 'Subletting Licence' for which an annual rent of £48.00 is charged. The freeholder cites a clause in my lease relating to 'assignment charge underlease or any other devolution relating to the Premises to produce for registration with the Landlord's solicitor such deed or document and to pay the Landlord's Solicitor charges of Thirty pounds plus VAT for the registration of every such document'. I am pretty sure this would relate only if I was to sell the property and not in the case of assigning an AST?

An AST would be an underlease.

You'd need to quote the exact text, but from what you've written the charge would be a one off per AST rather than an annual licence and the money should be paid to the Landlord's Solicitor not the freeholder. And the charge is limited to £36.00

The rest of the lease might vary the above, because they may allow variation to some terms and amounts, so the £30 plus VAT may have gone up.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      And the charge is limited to £36.00
      I thought there was a judgement that such charges could be increased in line with inflation even if the lease did not provide for it.
      (sorry, no reference, just recalling, maybe imperfectly, replies to a thread in the last couple of years).

Comment

Could be - it would make sense.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Hi my lease is similar, would the fee be payable every time you get a new tenant? Does it have to be requested by the freeholder?

Comment

I think the registration of document applies if it affects the property title such as change of leaseholder's name after sale of leasehold flat . The AST agreement does not give the monthly rental tenant any rights to become the leaseholder under the lease and the responsibility for paying ground rent and service charge remains with the current leaseholder ( named at Land Registry records ) .

Comment

Not what you are asking, but if there are similar landlords in this block of flats and other resident lease holders who are being subjected to many nickle and dime charges that you mention might we worth getting together and forcing a buy out of the freehold especially if this is a long term investment. As I understand it you need 50% of the leaseholders to do this. This would depend also on how long your current leases are and if you want to extend them, if so it can become quite cost effective to buy out the freehold.

Only my personal view so take advice before acting on anything I say.

All the best Stew.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
                by AndrewDod
                If they have a lease which says that this roof is not t o be used for any purpose other than that stated, I guess you need to remove all your modifications.

As above, the planning approval is irrelevant....
                30-05-2020, 02:18 AM
              • Flat Roof used as fire escape and right of way
                by RichardCardiff
                I am the Freeholder of a property and the property has an single story extension which has a flat roof. The lease holder of the flat above had the lease amended before I purchased it so that he has the right of use of the flat roof. I converted the ground floor of the property and added a basement....
                29-05-2020, 18:14 PM
              • Month 13 additional service charge payment
                by scot22
                A resolution was passed to require leaseholders to make an additional month 13 payment to increase reserve fund. Does this require every year a formal request along with summary of rights and responsibilities?
                29-05-2020, 10:34 AM
              • Reply to Month 13 additional service charge payment
                by ram
                If the lease does not state you are obliged to contribute to a reserve fund, then you can decline to pay into one. Don't forget to put money aside yourself, at the same rate it was suggested.

A reserve fund must be for something specific, and be itemised and quantified, and that money should
                30-05-2020, 01:06 AM
                by Stew
                Legally I don't know but from a laymans point of view if you have done this and there is a fire and someone gets injured I think potentially you are in a very sticky place and I don't think your insurance will cover you given you are aware of the facts.

I understand both parties concerns,...
                29-05-2020, 20:43 PM
                by RichardCardiff
                Thanks. I can provide a bit more detail. The fire escape route is over the flat roof and now that I have installed these roof lights and a sunken deck they cannot get out of the building. The plans passed in 1999 when the property was split state that the fire exit is from the first floor and over the...
                29-05-2020, 19:16 PM
                by Stew
                Hi I may be missing something but I don't see anything stating you have removed the fire escape? have you physically removed a ladder or staircase or do the roof lights interfere with someone being able to pass over the roof on foot or create a trip hazard. Maybe I have not read your post correctly...
                29-05-2020, 18:43 PM
              • Reply to How best to deal with troublesome freeholder. Advice welcome.
                by gismo67
                Thank you scot22 I will be patient and just start the clock ticking. I am hoping that a Freeholders investigations might trigger an investigation of the money issues.

Thank you Stew. The Articles say directors should not be remunerated. He has actively prevented new directors being appointed....
                29-05-2020, 14:53 PM
              • How best to deal with troublesome freeholder. Advice welcome.
                by gismo67
                We are a private estate of 31 leasehold flats. We have our own limited management company. Each leaseholder is a shareholder but the majority are apathetic. There is a master Freeholder.
                Unfortunately developed over the years was that the management company ended up with just one director in contravention...
                29-05-2020, 10:49 AM
              • Reply to How best to deal with troublesome freeholder. Advice welcome.
                by Stew
                While I do think what he is doing is wrong, if he was coming to your door day in day out and banging on the door then you might have cause to get the police involved to my knowledge someone shouting at you and getting a bit to close while you are both entering/leaving a building will not be classed...
                29-05-2020, 14:30 PM
              Working...
              X