I found missing Freeholder after 37 years and want to buy freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found missing Freeholder after 37 years and want to buy freehold

I'm a leaseholder on the ground floor of a Victorian terrace with two flats above with their individual leaseholders. I bought the property in 2005 aware of the missing freeholder. I have an affidavit from the previous owner saying he didn't hear or see the freeholder from 1983 onwards. We have always maintained our own buildings insurance and made considerable repairs in the 37 years from 1983 until now when I managed to track the freeholder down!! He died in 2017, but his estate was dispersed by a solicitor who I contacted. It was news to him that his deceased client was a freeholder of this property. The solicitor is going to contact the family and get back to me. Obviously we want to purchase the freehold, but I'm now worried that the solicitor will return with some unreasonable demand. As we have maintained the property for 37 years (without paying ground rent as there was no one to pay it to and no demands made) and had no support from the freeholder, where do we stand? Surely in lieu of what we have put into the building over the past decades he can’t expect to demand the normal value of the freehold?

I'd offer a token amount, say £1k for each heir, and I bet they snap your hand off.
    To save them chiming in, JPKeates, Theartfullodger, Boletus, Mindthegap, Macromia, Holy Cow & Ted.E.Bear think the opposite of me on almost every subject.

Comment

Hi JKO. Thanks for the response. That would be a dream! I'm just waiting for their solictor to inform the family of this surpirse situation and to hear back from him... we'll see, but I expect there will be some negotiation.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X