Common area electricity management with no common supply

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Common area electricity management with no common supply

    Advice needed. Property has 3 flats on 999 year leases. Freehold is owned by the management company that is shared equally by the leaseholders and which I run. .Common area services include a fire alarm and lighting, supplied from the leaseholders consumer units as there is no dedicated common area supply. Although the power used is minimal I want a solution that a) does not require an expensive dedicated supply and significant rewiring b) ensures leaseholders or their tenants do not take avoidable action to interrupt the common area supplies or compromise safety services. Are there any precedents, ideas or pitfalls for doing this via a variation to the leases that would add a suitable covenant and possibly address the slight imbalance in common area power contributions? The cost of a common area supply is probably 100 years worth of common area power need. Moreover the leases demise only the cabling and services that are for for the sole usage of the flats so in theory I believe the common area cables and the minimal eletricity passing through them are the Landlord's property. I should say this is all for future proofing with no current issues.

    I'd just knock a few pounds off the service charge of the flat paying the electricity bill. Surely tenant wouldn't shut off the electricity, or there would be no lighting outside?

    Perhaps install push button timers to keep the bills down?


      The problem is that there can be a situation that a flat is unoccupied and the electricity turned off with the result that your fire alarm system is inoperative.Pain in the arse but the only proper solution is a landlord's electricity account.


        Hmm. Well I think any lessee would be well aware that his flat supplied communal lighting, and that he was being reimbursed for it. Therefore unlikely the electricity would stay off very long.

        (Who turns electricity off nowadays other than mortgagees?)


          I would say that you are in breach of Health and Safety and Fire Safety law if you are relying on supplies that you don't control. The flat owner may suffer a main circuit breaker trip when they are away, or their insurers may insist the power is turned off. They may also want to rewire.

          I presume you already have emergency lighting, as there will already be significant costs in maintaining that. If you don't have emergency lighting, that would imply that the lights are luxury, and it doesn't matter that they don't work when the flat is empty.


            Putting in a dedicated supply is prohibitive and you do not seem to want to run comunal off flat.

            So turn it around, FH co takes over responsibility for one meter, from there you (qualified electrician that is) runs a supply cables to a check meter which supplies the flat.

            The flat owner runs the account, switching etc, and pays the balance shown on the check meter, the FH company makes up the rest.

            Now you just have to choose a responsible LH to do all this as if they do not pay their money the FH company is going to be on the hook.

            (In a similar situation as the LH I just paid the bill for the communal area, not worth the effort to work it out - until the MA tried to bill me for it )



              All good points-thanks. Lighting is not so much a problem as existing common area lighting has functioned for 40 years without issues and is now all low power LED. Upgrading to EM lighting is mitigated by the fact that each light is driven off one flat’s supply and test switches will be in the common area. Outage of one light still allows escape route to be illuminated. Fire alarm is more of a concern as it is driven off one flat’s supply. I’ve not seen that the BS 5839 alarm standard is so prescriptive as to require separate supply. Separate circuit, key isolation, warning labels, battery backup, visible supply indicator and no card or prepayment meters yes, but we meet these. Plus the landlord is entitled by lease to access the premises for maintenance of common area items. The existing setup is fine but it would be useful to spell out obligations I believe.


              Latest Activity


              • Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
                22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
              • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by Gordon999
                I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
                22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
              • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by mpppen
                I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

                It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

                I've read back through the forums...
                21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
              • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

                All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

                The Process.
                22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
              • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

                The criteria in my case is...

                1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
                2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
                04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
              • Dissolve company and regain shares
                by LaraJara21
                Good afternoon

                I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
                22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
              • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                by Gordon999
                The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

                If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
                22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
              • Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81

                I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

                We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

                We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

                I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              • Reply to Right to Manage Costs
                by ram

                You can't do that, as where is the money going to come from ?
                You cant give them back the money they gave towards the RTM - as then WHO pays for the RTM legal fees ? - You ?
                It can't come out of the service charges.
                You can pay ONE of the Directors, say $ 500 per year to administer
                22-09-2021, 10:03 AM