Water leak in leasehold building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water leak in leasehold building

My partner and I have recently become renters of a basement flat. We haven't yet moved in, end of the month. First visit to the property, no signs of any issues. Second visit and there is water damage to the chimney breast wall(which we pointed out, the landlord didn't seem to want to mention it) Landlord said it's possibly coming from a hole in the roof and we have had significant amount of rain recently. Wall was damp and cold to the touch But we were assured that it dries up(?)
    Top floor flat is the leaseholder for the whole building, flat above us is with a different landlord. Apparently plans to fix the roof last year were curbed due to landlord of middle flat saying he didn't have the money and his tenant is happy, no leaks or damage to property.
    Where do we stand as renters? can we approach the leaseholder ourselves if the situation gets worse?
    Can anyone suggest anything please?
    We have already paid deposit and given notice to our current landlord, we can't back out now.
    HELP!

Your contract is with the landlord of your flat, not the freeholder for the building. The landlord is responsible for any necessary repairs.

This might help:
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ho...-with-repairs/

Comment

Originally posted by HazeltonLane View Post
      The landlord is responsible for any necessary repairs.
      Not exactly.
      The landlord of a rented property is responsible for ensuring that the property that he/she is renting out is properly maintained to a suitable standard, but when the landlord is renting out a leasehold property it will usually be the freeholder of the building who is responsible for any repairs to the structure of the building.

In this case, if the problem is a leaking roof (or something else that the freeholder is responsible for) the landlord of the basement flat is realistically likely to be unable to arrange the necessary repairs themselves.
      Instead what needs to happen is the following:

1. The landlord needs to be repeatedly reminding the freeholder that repair of the roof is their responsibility, and that the fact that the landlord of the middle flat says that they don't have the money is not an excuse for not getting the work done. The freeholder needs to find the money for the necessary repairs, and then take whatever action is necessary to recover the share the middle leaseholder owes.
      2. Your landlord should acknowledge that it is not reasonable for him to be renting out a flat that he knows has a problem with water ingress due to a leaking roof at full market rent (especially when he doesn't know when the roof repairs might go ahead), and should agree a reduction in rent with you until repairs have been completed, or (if the leak is so bad that the property is uninhabitable) should pay to have you housed in equivalent accommodation elsewhere.
      They should tell the freeholder that they will be charging any losses that result from the freeholders failure to repair the roof to the freeholder.

The problem is, that your landlord may not wish to push the freeholder to make them fulfil their responsibilities, definitely won't want to lower your rent for any reason, and may treat any complaints from you as a reason to end the tenancy as quickly as possible.

If I was you, and was unable to pull out of the contract and find a property elsewhere, I would make it clear to the landlord (in writing - with a copy of the letter and evidence of receipt by the landlord kept) that, because you were not aware of this issue before you agreed to rent the property, you will expect the landlord to take whatever action is necessary to get the problem corrected quickly, that you will expect them to fully compensate you for any damage to your property that occurs as a result of this leak (you would be expected to take action yourself to minimise damage, such as not storing items that can easily be damaged by water close to the affected part of the property), and that you will expect a reduction in rent until the necessary work has been carried out.
      I would also start looking for a new property to move into as soon as possible (depending on how long you are contracted to remain in this property for).
      After you have moved in (assuming that you do still move in) keep a record of everything that you think is associated with the leak, including photographic/video evidence if possible, and inform your landlord, or their managing agent, if there are more than minor consequences.

Good luck!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
        by ram
        As above post number 2

The Limited company owns the building, and the flats. ( R.M.C )
        The leaseholdrs become members of the Ltd company and shares are issued to each flat ( one share per flat )
        They then have a share in the company that owns the freehold ( they are not freeholders,
        22-09-2021, 21:22 PM
      • Dissolve company and regain shares
        by LaraJara21
        Good afternoon

I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
        22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
      • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
        by sgclacy
        If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
        22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
      • Negotiating a lease extension
        by LizLease
        Hi all, I am new to the forum.
        I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
        I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
        I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
        21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
      • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
        by mpppen
        I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
        21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
      • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
        by Gordon999
        I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
        22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
      • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
        by Lat
        I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

The criteria in my case is...

1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
        2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
        04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
      • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
        by Lat
        What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

The Process.
        22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
      • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
        by Gordon999
        The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
        22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
      • Right to Manage Costs
        by Pariah81
        Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
        21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
      Working...
      X