am i allowed to sublet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am i allowed to sublet

Hi there,my mum bought a 1 bedroom flat 10 yrs ago and was in a home within 6 months.I rented the property out with a estate agent,no problems as the the freeholder had the ground flat rented out too.My mym died 3 yrs ago and I now own it and now having big problems with the freeholder.I must admit we didn't really speak to the owner but i had to get police involved as she was leaving notes to my tenants.My mum bought the flat with 76 years left on it and it states in the lease.Not to underlet or pass possession only by a way of an assignment.Also it states somewherelse that if you want to put a let sign up I have to have the freeholders permission.The freeholder has now said im not allowed to sublet,can anyone advise.Clearly its not working,also the house needs a lot of repais but I don't think my flat will sell.Also can anyone tell me if I shouldn't be renting as I had to re-mortgage for my mothers care.The freehoilder has said she will be seeking l;egal advice

You need to give us the exact clause from the lease. I also think this query should be in the long Leasehold section of the forum

Comment

I'm finding the quote quote on underletting confusing, and I think I need to see more of the context. Under-letting means sub-letting, so my starting position has to be that you cannot sub-let.

Unless the re-mortgage was under a buy to let mortgage, you could end up never being able to get a mortgage again if you have sub-let. You would probably be advised to own up the lender immediately if that is the case.

Agree about the wrong section.

Comment

Hi there,it just says not to underlet or pass possession of the demised premises or part thereof other than by a way of a assignment of the whole demised premises.To be honest I can understand the freeholder point of view

Comment

Hi,

No expert, however I wouldn't say the above prevents you from subletting.

Make an appointment at the following link;

https://clients.lease-advice.org/App...reSafety=False

Comment

I will do thankyou.As im not sure what I intend to do with the flat I have youngsters in a year at a time but ive not notified the freeholder or signed anything.The property is in need of repair,just wanted to know what the assignment means

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
              by Stacker
              So do all the fact finding first so that you are well informed and know what you are up against, also try to get the Conservation officer on board on your side with your idea if you want to go ahead as he or she will be the person to say yes or no. The freeholder can not unreasonably refuse you the...
              08-04-2020, 18:17 PM
            • Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
              by Sharon
              Hello, I would like to remove a non-load-bearing stud wall in my flat. It will change the layout inasmuch as I will be stealing some of the space from my entrance hall and creating a larger living room as a result. So no real increase in value of the property as a result, just a matter of taste....
              08-04-2020, 15:46 PM
              by Sharon
              Thank you very much for responding!

Well, I had 'assumed' that it couldn't possibly be a load-bearing wall, as it is a hollow stud wall, with a panel of glass windows at the top (which was clearly created to bring as much light as possible into the entrance hall), and I know this wall didn't...
              08-04-2020, 18:00 PM
            • Notice fee
              by Paulsen
              I am remortgaging my flat and the solicitor has sent a letter to the freeholder asking for a notice fee. I have done it directly to the freeholder and not the MA as we both are in dispute with the old MA and are doing a joint complaint. She probably wouldn’t know how much to ask for and I asked my...
              04-04-2020, 15:14 PM
            • Reply to Notice fee
              by Lawcruncher
              I had assumed it was formal. Anyway, my point is that you are disgruntled because someone refuses to pay you money they do not owe you. I would hazard a guess that you do not go round paying money to people who think they are entitled to it but are not....
              08-04-2020, 17:55 PM
            • Reply to Notice fee
              by Lawcruncher
              As you say, requiring a notice of a change of tenant is pretty standard and has been for years. Obviously a landlord needs to know if the tenant has changed. However, the requirement to serve notice on the landlord's solicitor and pay a fee (until fairly recently the standard requirement) rather than...
              08-04-2020, 17:47 PM
              by Stacker
              Hi, Firstly how do you know its not a load bearing wall? Has a surveyor or structural engineer confirmed this in writing to you ? A listed property change may need consent from the council Conservation officer? You could put a tentative call in to the officer and email him some ideas then if he gives...
              08-04-2020, 17:43 PM
            • Reply to Lessor who is also the leaseholders is not complying with LEASE
              by Stacker
              I also found these links which seem helpful - Tribunal Procedure Property Rules http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made
              08-04-2020, 17:35 PM
            • Lessor who is also the leaseholders is not complying with LEASE
              by Stacker
              Hello, hope you are all doing ok with this self isolating So this is a tricky one both the Lessor who are also the leaseholders are in breach of their own leases, how to enforce? As normally it would be the freeholder enforcing however the leaseholder needs to enforce against the company and other ...
              07-04-2020, 09:28 AM
            • Reply to Lessor who is also the leaseholders is not complying with LEASE
              by Stacker
              Thank you lawcruncher and RAM for your help, I just called LEASE and the solicitor on the phone there said it would cost a lot of money to go to court as basically I am suing the company and its directors and she said the FTT would not possibly deal with it or be in their remit to address, she suggested...
              08-04-2020, 17:28 PM
            Working...
            X