Taken over RTM however previous company are witholding funds and documents

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Taken over RTM however previous company are witholding funds and documents

    Hi all,

    I secured Right to manage on a block of 6 flats with an agreed takeover date of 10/1/2020.

    Since that date the previous company have only sent partial funds and are ignoring emails and letters to send the documents required for the running of the building. we paid them £6000 on Jan 2nd to cover the first 6 months service charge and they have only sent £1200 to our new management company. There is also £7000 in reserve and a £1452 overpayment from last year that has not been sent.

    Our building insurance renewal is due at the end of the month and we do not have the funds to make the payment as firstport is holding the money.

    Threats of legal action, complaints and phone calls do nothing. What are my next steps? what is the law regarding the handover of documents?

    General documents are covered by serving a formal section 93 Duty to Provide Information Notice. Landlord has 28 days to provide but not until after the acq. date.

    Landlord or his agents must otherwise transfer all uncommitted service charges on or soon after the acq date - no buts. No notice or request is required.

    The Act provides for an applciation to the FTT to sort it out. If the landlord is uncooperative, your evidence needs to be gathered somewhat blind - most recent annual accounts and copy invoices for service charges etc. Perhaps even witness affidavits as statements of truth from all flats that they paid £X and had no arrears etc.

    Watch out for the old debtors causing no reserves left. Can be a joke, service charge accounts. Debtors should cause unpaid creditors if full income receivable budget spent anyway, not vanish the reserves cash transferred - as it should be - to a separate interest earning deposit account.

    No idea what costs arise under new FTT regime. Seem to recall under old LVT this would be a no fee case?

    Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.


    Latest Activity


    • Sole Director
      by Stacker
      Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
      29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
    • Reply to Sole Director
      by Stacker
      Thanks for that however I have just been trawling thro google and found that is not the case if the AOA states quorum required and mentions directors as in plural the sole director can not act for the company or the board as they are a sole director, so meeting needs to be quorate by bringing in a member...
      29-03-2020, 20:28 PM
    • Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
      by eshroom
      My mum has had her flat let out for some time, it is currently unoccupied and given COVID shall remain so for a few months.

      The service charge was £20 per month more for her as it was rented. She wasn't happy but went along with it. She asked to have it dropped now that it is not rented...
      27-03-2020, 10:42 AM
    • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
      by leaseholder64
      Leases often have clauses about not causing additional expenditure, particularly for insurance, so it might be possible to charge as administration charges, as well.
      29-03-2020, 11:23 AM
    • Reply to Sole Director
      by leaseholder64
      Most AoA allow a sole director to appoint other directors, even though otherwise inquorate. Generally the only other thing they can do is call a general meeting.

      The company secretary does not count towards the quorum.

      Many RMCs operate without a quorum, even though the director...
      29-03-2020, 11:16 AM
    • Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by Section20z
      One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
      The rent should be £650pa...
      27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
    • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by Section20z
      Thanks , that makes complete sense and clears up why they would not want a long lease to be covered by the Rent Act.

      Of course the buyer was aware of the new rent and should have adjusted premium accordingly. The novel feature here is that the ground rent increases with any "difference"...
      29-03-2020, 08:31 AM
    • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by sgclacy
      The Rent Acts referred to in the old lease precluded a premium being charged for the assignment of a lease and of course that is why there was a restriction in the old lease.

      However the current issue with ground rents exceeding £250 outside of London is that some, but not all lawyers,...
      29-03-2020, 03:45 AM
    • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
      by Macromia
      Unless the lease makes it clear that this "reasonable proportion" only applies to the service charges as a whole, it could be argued that flats with non-resident leaseholders could be charged a higher proportion of the managing agents fees - but only if they can justify this as reasonable,...
      29-03-2020, 03:13 AM
    • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
      by Macromia
      So, presumably, the part of the clause that you have not quoted allows the ground rent at each new assignment to be set as a percentage of the sale price?

      This seems backwards to me (unless there is a more complicated formula used), because it means that the higher the sale price, the higher...
      29-03-2020, 02:46 AM