Does Freeholder majority need to be 75% in order to pass changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Freeholder majority need to be 75% in order to pass changes?

Hi guys,

This is my first post on the forum and it's also my first problem with my first property. So please forgive me if what I am saying is obviously solvable or unclear.

We recently had some major works completed, it cost way more than was required, legal action was taken and legal action failed. The Ground floor freeholder rents out his apartment, there are 3 apartments in the building with each building belonging to a different freeholder.

There are 4 registered freeholders, 2 in the 1st flat, 1 in the 2nd flat and 1 in the 3rd flat and the split of the building owned is 33%. So the ground floor freeholder was very adamant in dismissing the case against the contractor, myself and the other freeholders were not really sure why. Anyway, regardless, I dismissed the legal case as it came to light I was unlikely to win without his support. It now turns out he has a number of buildings managed by the managing company that was overseeing these works.

Now I don't want to conclude that this freeholder is receiving some backhand payment of some sort. But what I do know is that I want to move away from the Managing agent, and the 2 freeholders based in the first flat are in agreement with myself.

So that would amount to 3/4 freeholders agreeing to change to a different managing agent, however the ground floor freeholder has stated that you need at least 75% to pass this change and the percentage of votes is not based on the number of freeholders but what ownership of the building is.

So for example, 66% of the building is in favour of changing managing agents, but we need 75% to pass this change, so in theory this would not pass because of the other 33% disagreeing.

Is this correct? I'm really confused if so, I thought it was based on what the freeholder majority is, which would be 75% in favour in this case.

We have no actual freehold company set up as it's all done by a managing agent, so I'm very confused on what is right and what isn't. This freeholder is basically blocking our ability to move away from this managing agent which has caused so many issues and cash.

In case I answer the wrong question... I take it everywhere you say "freeholder" you mean leaseholder with a share of interest in he freehold? Though not by a company? The old adage is the freehold is never divided, you just have a part interest in it, innit.

Where you say "each building" belongs to a different "freeholder" you mean each flat is owned by a different leaseholder? If not, ignore the rest here as I got confused after Hi...

If I understand it right, your building has 3 flats. Each flat has a 33% shared interest in the freehold. Flat 1 has joint leaseholders, flat 2 has one, and flat 3 also has one. The ground floor leaseholder sublets his flat.

No idea who took legal action but it failed.

The GF leaseholder has an external relationship with the managing agents.

The other 2 flats want to change the agents.

You do not have a freehold company? So presumably you have ownership interest via a trust with your names all on the title?

Do you have a Participation Agreement? If you don't have a company, then company law can't help. The lease might say something about voting powers?

I cannot see how some arbitrary unachievable percentage can be created, or from where, if each flat holds 33% share of title? Usually joint 'shares' count as one vote. One vote per flat. Sometimes companies have more interesting voting block rights. Not relevant here, no.

Sorry, no idea what to suggest - unless there is a codified document that sets out how voting is done I can't see where your neighbour comes up with 75%? You could come with 65% on that basis?

Anybody can spout anything. Demand he/she puts up or shuts up and two flats outvote one. But read everything first. He/she might have some dusty old parchment that the rest have lost.
    Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. Continuing to have a headache with this! Sorry my question isn't that clear, this is all so new to me and I'm being ran around the bushes with this. I appreciate your response majorly, I'm going to do as much investigation as a I can and see what I can find. If there isn't anything then I should propose a vote about managing it ourselves as we are getting royally screwed by the leaseholder in the GF.

yes we all have our names on the title as confirmed by the land registry as well. I do not believe there is a codified document that exists and I will also need to check the lease.

Comment

If you are joint tenants, as appears to be the case, and there is no trust deed, you need 100% agreement to take action in your role as a trustee of the freehold. Without a deed of trust, such arrangements are unworkable if you cannot get consensus.

As a leaseholder, you have a right, under Landlord and Tenant law, to ask the FTT to rule on reasonableness and payability of service charges. You also have the right to ask the FTT to appoint a manager, but this is not the same as appointing a new managing agent, and is likely to be rather expensive. Even a single leaseholder can exercise those rights.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Converting front garden into a driveway.
          by Section20z
          I think paving could be argued to be a normal use of a garden, (bearing in mind it will need to be permeable anyway for building regs) If the other 2 flats aren't going to complain then I'd be inclined to just do it.
          What's the worst that can happen.......
          31-03-2020, 21:39 PM
        • Converting front garden into a driveway.
          by ForumFirstTimer
          Hello,

I purchased my ground floor flat last year, its a converted house with 3 flats in. It has a small front garden which is 100% mine within the lease, but it is large enough that it would fit a car on it.

The 'Garden' right now it just patchy weeds.

My question...
          30-03-2020, 15:09 PM
        • Sole Director
          by Stacker
          Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
          29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
        • Reply to Sole Director
          by Stacker
          The articles clearly sate no decisions to be taken unless the meeting is quorate meaning directors - the board, the same for shareholder meetings. A sole director can impose his sole authority if he is the only shareholder however the company has AOA which clearly state all meetings are to be quorate...otherwise...
          31-03-2020, 12:55 PM
        • Reply to Sole Director
          by Stacker
          Sorry leaseholder 64 that is wrong...
          31-03-2020, 12:51 PM
          by Lawcruncher
          They may not "need" payment. It depends on what the lease says. There are three possibiities:

┬Ě The lease says nothing about making alterations or additions or. if it does, the changes you propose are not covered. In that case you can go ahead without asking the landlord....
          31-03-2020, 08:37 AM
        • Recourse for work we paid out based on freeholder's incorrect advice
          by eshroom
          When my mum bought her flat exactly 5 years ago, she discovered an issue with the buildings wast pipe, which was under her basement flat. It had been leaking and caused a foul smell.

She informed the freeholder of the urgent drain issue and they said it was not something for them to investigate...
          30-03-2020, 21:50 PM
          by ForumFirstTimer
          thanks for your reply.

What would they specifically need payment for? The fact that it's going to be used as a driveway or because I am changing the front garden from grass (solid and weeds) to paving?

thanks
          30-03-2020, 21:11 PM
          by nukecad
          You would need the freeholders permission for a start, and if they allow you then they will probably want payment for that.
          30-03-2020, 19:50 PM
        • Pansies before people
          by D P Dance
          The managing agents of one of my rental properties, who have been vilified on Trust Pilot, when asked if they are considering relief for landlords whose tenants have defaulted on their rent have refused point blank to consider offer help and have told me I quote

.. you need to accept the...
          24-03-2020, 13:24 PM
        Working...
        X