Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management Company Not Doing Their Job

Hi
    I rent a purpose built flat. The block had a new management company appointed about 2 years ago. To date I have not heard from them in writing, I called them once a year ago and they said they will send a letter and statement but nothing to date.
    Recently, tenants are complaining about a leak from the ceiling when it rains. This started 3 weeks ago. From day one, I sent an email to the management with videos, they replied saying could be windows badly fitted, new satellite dishes ...etc. They attached two photographs of the windows from outside which can't see the point and also said inspection been arranged and waiting for the report. They never asked to see the flat from inside where the leak is. I sent 2 emails since but no reply. Tenants are contacting me to fix it, I know I have no right to do any building work from outside, the management are not doing much so far. What do I do?
    Thanks

I think you mean managing agent.

Your contract will actually be with the management company or freeholder, not the managing agent.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, I am the landlord leaseholder and have tenants. The management company are appointed by the freeholder of the block.

Comment

Your block of flats is not a Residents' Management Company (RMC) or Right To Manage (RTM) where the block of flats residents appoint the managing agents. It appears you will have to contact the freeholder directly. Have you done that?

Comment

If they are unresponsive, it's a very good idea sending your communication letters via recorded postage. The freeholder/ managing agents could well be unresponsive on purpose to stall any works until the roof leak becomes a worse problem so, they can demand an even larger sum via service charges. Does your block of flats have a sink fund?

Comment

Very unresponsive, unbelievable, but it's a big risk as the timber structure is getting wet I guess and then rotten and if neglected the whole roof structure will collapse risking lives! It's common sense or am I exaggerating??
            Yes we do have sink fund.
            I will send him recorded letter.
            One of the leaseholders bought the freehold 2 years ago and it is a one man band, the companies house accounts shows nothing. To date, he hasn't written to me that he has taken over the freehold and no statement from him even though I demanded one 6 months ago, I had to get his details from previous management. Garden and outside storage areas neglected. Only thing he is providing is communal araes are cleaned.
            What steps can I take?

Comment

The freeholder is doing the management himself. So I am contacting the freeholder who is at the same time the management company of the whole block.

Comment

I'm getting really confused. Is the freeholder a natural person or a company?

You say "himself" and then, in the next sentence say "freeholder...is... the... company"?

Comment

The freeholder is a person, he formed a limited company for the management of the block. He is the director of management company.
                  I checked the company trading address, seems it is a house but nothing wrong with that.

Comment

Did you mention your neighbor bought the freehold by themselves? From what I gather, at least half of the leaseholders in the block have to jointly purchase the freehold. If they did buy the freehold that means they own the building. Could that be the reason the current freeholder is not taking action?

Comment

Yes one them bought the freehold, not sure if half of leaseholders jointly purchased, I think I had a letter long time ago regarding such, can't remember tbh. I know I didn't purchase.

What is the reason for not taking action? The limited company which is the management company has the obligation to do the repairs, no?

Can I find the information from land registry by paying whatever fee?

Comment

Here is what I understand.

The freeholder is responsible for the repair and maintenance of the exterior and common parts of the building but, because some leaseholders of your flat bought their freehold, they now have a share of the freehold with the freeholder. This means, the freeholder is no longer the only sheriff in town. He must work with the leaseholders who own a share of the freehold, regarding the upkeep of the building.

This said, how much control you have over the freeholder majorly depends on how many leaseholders actually bought the freehold of the flat. How many flat owners are in your block and how many bought the freehold?

You mentioned also that the freeholder appointed the managing agents but, that cannot be. As I understand it, because the leaseholders own a share of the freehold, they get to appoint the managing agent if the choose to.

Have you tried contacting the leaseholders who own a share of the freehold?

Comment

I spoke yesterday to the director of the limited company which is formed as the management company of the block. From the conversation, all he was doing is using delaying tactics involving previous management, insurance and plus he is just back from vacation. It is well over month since I first reported and I can not see any action he has taken, he has done nothing. I had to end the call because it was going no where and asked to do the repairs asap.
                          The limited company has 2 directors and one secretary according to the companies house. I thought there would be more directors if the leaseholders of the block have a share in the freehold and their name would appear in the companies house in this management company, isn't that the case?
                          I do not know for sure who are the freeholders and if more than one, but I know for sure the director I spoke to is a (or the) freeholder.
                          The block is about 40 flats, all owned privately on long leases.

How do I find the freeholder/s information?
                          Can I go to the address of this limited company and view records at any time?

Comment

By doing a £3 title search at the registry.

If the company is operating for profit, it needs to belong to a redress scheme. Trading standards can enforce.

Comment

Has he got the right not to do the repairs?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Notice fee
                                by Lawcruncher
                                Pretty pointless as if you write and ask for more fees you have effectively acknowledged receipt.

So the tenant declines to pay you money he has no obligation to pay and by way of revenge you decline to comply with your obligations....
                                05-04-2020, 21:37 PM
                              • Notice fee
                                by Paulsen
                                I am remortgaging my flat and the solicitor has sent a letter to the freeholder asking for a notice fee. I have done it directly to the freeholder and not the MA as we both are in dispute with the old MA and are doing a joint complaint. She probably wouldn’t know how much to ask for and I asked my...
                                04-04-2020, 15:14 PM
                              • Reply to Notice fee
                                by Section20z
                                In my experience I would simply not receipt the notice till they have paid the fee.
                                I have only ever had one hold out - and that was last month when they paid the £3 7s 6d stated in the lease - now they want an extension and wonder why I am uncooperative ........ Karma....
                                05-04-2020, 20:46 PM
                              • Selling and buying flat -share transfer
                                by Stacker
                                I understand that a condition of ownership of a flat that the new tenant becomes a member of the company and the old tenant transfers the share.

Therefore If there are two tenants of a single flat (e.g. husband and wife) then they will own the share jointly.

I understand that...
                                05-04-2020, 19:23 PM
                              • Reply to Selling and buying flat -share transfer
                                by Section20z
                                That will depend entirely on your article of association....
                                05-04-2020, 20:39 PM
                              • Reply to Notice fee
                                by Lawcruncher
                                The way to deal with cases where the lease says to pay a reasonable fee not less than £x is send £x. If the solicitor comes back and says his standard fee is £y where y is greater than x, you write back and say that you consider £x to be more than reasonable for the simple task of registering your...
                                05-04-2020, 17:58 PM
                              • Covid and breach of lease notice from Freeholder?
                                by zv2k
                                Hi All! I had been renting the second room out in my 2bed 2 bath flat for a while, and then last year decided to rent both out so I could save up for a potential brexit dip to buy a second property. Anyway waiting for Brexit became rather extended. I had been renting one of the rooms (both ensuite)...
                                05-04-2020, 04:25 AM
                              • Reply to Covid and breach of lease notice from Freeholder?
                                by zv2k
                                Thanks alot really appreciate it!
                                05-04-2020, 15:34 PM
                                by jpkeates
                                10a means that you can't let on a room only basis whether you live there or not. Nor is there any mechanism for the lessor to consent to such an arrangement.
                                You can't do what you want to do and have been doing.
                                Technically the person you are allowing to stay there rent free is probably...
                                05-04-2020, 13:53 PM
                                by zv2k
                                I've typed out the lease below, if you could please review:

"Not to:

10. a. transfer lor assign or underlet or part withor share possession of any part of the property (as distinct from the whole)

b. Underlet the property otherwise than with the prior...
                                05-04-2020, 13:02 PM
                              Working...
                              X