Bought a flat, agent didn't tell me about repairs due

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a flat, agent didn't tell me about repairs due

I bought a flat 6 months ago and in the replies to enquiries the managing agent said no repairs were due. Turns out there's a significant repair job on the roof which they had estimates for from 18 months ago which I'll have to contribute to. My seller didn't know but the agent did.

​​​​​​Secondly, the agent is about to "rebrand" and so do I lose my right to claim if the legal entity that was the agent at the time of my enquiries dissolves, or do I sue the freeholder I'm any event as the principal?

I suspect agent will have sufficient 'arse-covering' post-dated letters in his word processor to prove that your seller did know about this, so pointless suing IMHO.

Comment

Have you tried getting in touch with the solicitor who did the conveyancing for you and, explaining the situation? That's what I did regarding unpaid service charges from previous seller and they took care of it.

Comment

It depends on the wording of the relevant questions and answers. Were the answers accompanied by a disclaimer? Was the agent paid a fee?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Leasehold sweetener?
          by AndrewDod
          The service charge could be absolutely anything - may be £500 this year, but £20,000 next year, or even more when you find yourself one of the 1% of properties with cladding issues (or whatever comes next).

As eagle2 says, service charges (and service charge fraud) are where all the bodies...
          27-09-2021, 12:31 PM
        • Leasehold sweetener?
          by Bonehead33
          So the flat I'm considering will apparently come with a new leasehold of 99 years. If I pay full asking price (10k more than I think it's worth) then the flat will come with a 125 year lease. I'm new to leasehold. Is there any benefit to getting the 125 and paying extra? The flat is around 100k to buy...
          26-09-2021, 16:35 PM
        • Ground rent linked to value of property
          by ecfc29
          Hi all,

Looking for some advice.

My current GR is £100 pa, but in approx 16 years time will increase to 0.20% of the property value (1/500th as per lease), which is then reviewed at further 25 yr intervals until the end of the lease in c113 years time. So while there is no...
          27-09-2021, 12:15 PM
          by Bonehead33
          Service charge is 500 per year. It's a town centre flat above a shop. No idea how reasonable that is?
          27-09-2021, 12:08 PM
          by eagle2
          Unreasonable service charges are more of an issue than ground rent but no-one seems to be willing to deal with the issue. I suggest that you build into your calculations escalating service charges which could exceed the rate at which rent may increase.
          27-09-2021, 11:48 AM
        • Incompetent Managing Agent
          by aki131960
          After years of poor management by our head leaseholder, we adopted the RTM with 4 directors and appointed managing agents. I had reservation about the agents and voiced these but one of the other 3 directors insisted that they had good references. As we were running out of time before the transfer...
          05-08-2021, 13:33 PM
        • Reply to Incompetent Managing Agent
          by aki131960
          Thank you for all of the advice received.

We have finally agreed at a board meeting of the RTM Company to terminate the managing agent and instruct a new which came highly recommended by the freeholder (one of the large estates in London).

The vote (to terminate old and instruct...
          27-09-2021, 11:43 AM
          by sgclacy
          A consequence of the near hysteria over ground rents is that a rent of some 80p per day (. A quarter of a cup of coffee in Starbucks a day ) may be viewed as onerous and cause issues in sale being > 0.1% of the value of the property

With the market probably cooling ~ particularly for...
          27-09-2021, 10:26 AM
          by Bonehead33
          I'm viewing the flat and checking that this afternoon
          27-09-2021, 10:20 AM
          by vmart
          Have you checked the lease allows sub-letting?
          27-09-2021, 09:25 AM
        Working...
        X