Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doubling Ground Rent - Cost Calculation

Hi All,

Looking to buy a flat in London which has a doubling ground rent. My solicitor said it can be "fixed" but it'll cost me - however he was unable to give a ballpark cost. Hoping someone could help please!?

Details:
    Price - £425,000
    Lease - 236 Years
    Current Ground Rent: £150
    Increase: Doubling every 25 years
    Next Doubling: June 2030

Can anyone help with an approx. calculation please? I am on the brink of making an offer, but need to figure this out and incorporate it into the price.

I crunched into the Lease Extension calculator, using a Ground Rent of £225 (average of £150 & £300) and it came out with £9,500 (upper end estimate).

Thanks

I have devised my own Excel calculator that does this. The numbers look pretty frightening but so does compound inflation over a long period. To work out the net present value of a stream of income you need to apply a discount rate. The lower the rate the higher the value and vice versa. My calculator assumes the first doubling is in 25 years time so the figures will be slightly different for your example.
    You will note that doubling every 25 years is equivalent to compound annual increases of 2.8114%.

You MUST check with the mortgage lender if they will accept this. Some will, some won't and some won't. See e.g. https://www.cml.org.uk/lenders-handb...ion-list/1852/
    Example 1 Example 2
    Annual rent £150.00 £150.00
    Lease length 236 years 236 years
    Doubles every 25 years 25 years
    Discount rate 5.00% 3.50%
    Highest annual rent £76,800.00 £76,800.00
    Total payable £2,761,050.00 £2,761,050.00
    Net Present Value £5,129.69 £12,803.11
    Years' Purchase 34.1979 85.3541
    Compound increase 2.8114% 2.8114%

Comment

Not sure what you're asking but legal fees for a deed of variation to the lease are àround 1600 incl vat in total, including the freeholder's fees which you would have to pay.

Comment

Pretty sure it wont cost £2.7m Ian? Or you mean net present value?

Comment

No £2.7M is the total ground rent payable over 236 years.

Comment

So, how much would it cost to change the ground rent terms?

Comment

See image (in two parts) for examples @ 5% yield on GR. You have to let the 'experts' decide the yield and discount rates. Have a big bearing.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2 .PNG
              Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Service charge debtor still collecting rent!
                by Codger
                In our block we have flat owners who let them out ,collect rent but do not pat gr or service charge.
                i am considering asking the tenant to pay the freeholder to pay off the debt and embarrass the flat owner. Any comments?
                06-09-2021, 18:47 PM
              • Reply to Service charge debtor still collecting rent!
                by Gordon999
                The rental tenant should give you the contact address of leaseholder or you can post the service charge demand to the letting agent which collects the rent money.
                17-09-2021, 16:37 PM
              • Service charges after freehold obtained on SO
                by Llaj
                I’m Staircasing to 100% of my shared ownership house on a private estate. I pay over £700 pa in service charges. There are no communal areas, apart from a small car park. I have found out that the other private freeholders pay around £200 pa estate charges. My solicitor thinks that when I obtain...
                15-09-2021, 07:11 AM
              • Reply to Service charges after freehold obtained on SO
                by Gordon999
                Under the shared ownership scheme , you pay "rent " on the housing association's share of property. . This "rent" payment should stop if you staircase to 100% of ownership scheme.

If you purchase the freehold title from the housing association , then your...
                17-09-2021, 16:22 PM
              • Reply to Advice please director acting on their own
                by eagle2
                The directors do not have the power to remove another director, they are answerable to the members and only the members can remove a director, If the members do not vote him out, he remains a director regardless of what the other directors think, If a director steals money, it is theft and you report...
                17-09-2021, 14:20 PM
              • Advice please director acting on their own
                by thenunn
                Hi, after some advice on dealing with a situation. One of our directors took it upon himself to take a letter asking owners to vote on a company for works the company is his,and he actually wrote the letter from his company , but more importantly he did this without the knowledge of agreement of the...
                17-09-2021, 06:37 AM
                by ram
                Trouble is, leaseholders are appathetic.
                Oh, he's such a nice man, this Director, lets keep him and forgive him

Happend here.

Board of directors can dismiss a director, so long as they have it ratified by the members shortly afterwards.
                ( E.G. Director steals money,
                17-09-2021, 10:39 AM
                by eagle2
                The other directors should give the director a warning. Whether or not voting is permitted when there is a conflict of interests depends on the Articles, but good practice would require the director to abstain even if he is permitted to vote. If the director continues to fail to act according to the...
                17-09-2021, 10:02 AM
              • Reply to Service charges after freehold obtained on SO
                by ram
                You say it's a private estate, BUT There are no communal areas.
                Sorry, the road, pavements, road lighting, repairs to same ARE communal.

drain clearance, weed removal, also.

The HA adminiters the Estate, they are the Managing company for the "Private" estate,
                17-09-2021, 09:59 AM
              • Reply to Proxy
                by eagle2
                It is quite normal for members to appoint a proxy to vote on their behalf if they cannot attend the meeting themselves. The proxyholder is usually the chair of the meeting but it can be a non member, The proxyholder has a duty to vote as instructed by the member unless the member has not given any indication...
                17-09-2021, 09:53 AM
              Working...
              X