Leasehold - changing garden boundaries with neighbour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasehold - changing garden boundaries with neighbour

Help! We are leaseholders of a first/top floor maisonette. L&Q are freeholder. The back garden is currently split on the lease between us and our downstairs neighbours. However, we have agreed that neither of us like the current split and want to change it - as it currently stands we have access across their garden to get to our section. I am concerned that changing the split officially will be incredibly expensive as it may involve not a deed of variation, but a deemed surrender and regrant of the leases. Does anyone have any experience of this?

You are right that the exercise is likely to prove disproportionately expensive. The documentation is not difficult, but on the other hand not exactly everyday. There are three ways to do it:

1. Each tenant surrenders the part the other wants and on the same day the landlord grants a tenancy to each tenant of the part he wants. The leases can be very short incorporating the terms of the existing lease by reference.

2. Each tenant assigns to the other the part he wants. That may be a problem if the leases prohibit assignment of part. The landlord will need to join in anyway to ensure that the rent is legally apportioned.

3. Each tenant surrenders his lease and on the same day the landlord grants new leases of what each tenant wants. That is not worth considering really.

If mortgages are involved that will complicate things.

You are potentially involving five parties here:

Tennat 1
    Tenant 2
    Lender 1
    Lender 2
    Landlord

Apart from the expense it is likely to take ages as it will not figure on anyone's top priority list.

Comment

That's really helpful lawcruncher, thank you. I don't see anything about part assignment in the lease so maybe can go with option 2. Assume in this case though that the assignment would only last as long as the period left to run on the lease itself? Rent is peppercorn so hopefully the freeholder will consent.

Comment

What does the lease say about assignment? Please quote the relevant provision in full?

Is either flat mortgaged?

Comment

Our flat is mortgaged, our neighbours is not. Changing the boundary would only increase the value of the maisonette but I guess that's not the main issue. This is the only provision on assignment I can see in the lease.

Assignment section.jpg
          Attached Files

Comment

If that is indeed the only provision and the rent is a peppercorn then you can proceed without the landlord's involvement apart from giving notice of the assignment.

Assuming that you are on friendly terms with the other flat owner this is a suitable case where you can save costs by both instructing the same conveyancer. You will need accurate plans drawn up. Before doing anything write to your lender setting out your proposals.

Comment

Hi Jafferz

What did you eventually do on this as I’m in exactly the same situation but we’ve already changed the garden format but now want to formalise it as I want to sell my property.

Comment

Lawcruncher could you not get a deed of variation?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancahojo View Post
                  Lawcruncher could you not get a deed of variation?
                  Whatever you call the deed it has to include either a surrender and regrant or assignments effecting an exchange.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Extending a leasehold property
                    by sharmski
                    Hi - I have a share of freehold ground floor flat as part of a converted house which we have extended. The two flats in the house each have long reciprocal leases. Do I need to update the demise of the lease to show the new extent of the ground floor flat, and if so, what’s the simplest and quickest...
                    22-10-2020, 16:42 PM
                  • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                    by sgclacy
                    There are very few cases reported that concentrate solely on capitalisation rates. Most cases referred to the LVT/FTT have been on lease where the term is low and the ground rents being historic are often modest

The main case for you is Emmanuel House (Freehold) Ltd v Berkeley Seventy Six...
                    22-10-2020, 15:24 PM
                  • Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                    by JM2110
                    Hi all,

I am going to purchase my freehold through the informal route, and I was just wondering what the likely capitalisation / yield rate would be for a lease with the following terms; 93 years remaining, house value approx £120k, a ground rent of £250 (outer London) that is reviewed...
                    22-10-2020, 06:13 AM
                  • Reply to Buying freehold when ground rent is linked to RPI
                    by Gordon999
                    There is a free guide to buying the freehold of a leasehold house which can be downloaded from LEASE :

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...ses-valuation/
                    22-10-2020, 11:13 AM
                  • Reply to Repair - Who should pay
                    by APAT
                    Andrew, Lease just says that I am responsible for the floor but what is the floor in the case of a balcony that came with decking pre-installed ? Is decking the floor or the surface below the decking the floor. Apparently in the surface below the decking there is water retention which is ingressing...
                    21-10-2020, 16:14 PM
                  • Repair - Who should pay
                    by APAT
                    I am a lease holder. My flat has a balcony and the balcony floor board are my responsibility. Anything below floor board is free holder responsibility per the lease agreement. There is some residual water build up happening below the floor board and some drainage issues that is leading to water build...
                    19-10-2020, 16:20 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    If your flat came with a fitted carpet (your responsibility to replace the carpet later) and they needed to rip out that carpet to deal with a problematical pipe in the floor they (or at least all the lessees) are responsible for putting carpet back to what it was.

If you decided to...
                    21-10-2020, 14:31 PM
                    by APAT
                    So my balcony came from the builder with the decking installed when I bought the flat. My lease states that the balcony floor surface is my responsibility. Anything below the floor surface is not my responsibility in general in the flat and balcony as per the lease also. So what is the floor service...
                    21-10-2020, 12:58 PM
                    by APAT
                    Thank you AndrewDod and Macromia. I have pushed back using some of the arguments you supported me with. Lets see what the management company comes back with....
                    21-10-2020, 09:55 AM
                  • Reply to Collecting ground rent from RTM
                    by andydd
                    As a FH you really should have a full understanding of the law or you may end up with smart LHs running rings around you and costing you thousands...believe me Ive done it to mine ...
                    21-10-2020, 01:42 AM
                  Working...
                  X