Background checks - marriage certificate, name change etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Background checks - marriage certificate, name change etc...

There has been a freeholder who has been absent for some 15 or 20 years. He may well be in Spain. A woman was living in his flat. We assumed she was his partner (or has a historical connection / relationship). I don't think he has ever lived in the flat. We have some leasehold dispute, but she is the one responding to letters. She claims to be managing his affairs and renting out his other flat and other interests. She tells us she is now his wife (this has made me suspicious). Is there any way of getting a marriage certificate? Is there a way of finding if she has changed her name - to pretend to be someone's wife?. We never received a ground rent demand, except that it should be paid to e.g. "XZ Excalibur" (which is n't a limited company). So we don't know who is making the real demand. I am probably paranoid.

I don't think you're paranoid. Request evidence of her authority to deal with any matters concerning the property. There doesn't seem any limits to deception.
    Probably ok but no reason not to confirm.
    even if there is a marriage certificate only proves a date !

Comment

>> Request evidence of her authority to deal with any matters concerning the property.

We got a letter, from the freeholder, to say she is managing his affairs, but I am not convinced about the letter, as it appears to be written in the same style, fonts, ink jet printer etc... It feels like the same person.

>> We never received a ground rent demand, except that it should be paid to e.g. "XZ Excalibur" (which is n't a limited company).

We paid the ground rents, to a bank account e.g. XZ Excalibur. This is not a limited company.

I don't know who controls this bank account and it could be the woman.

How can I check?

Do HMRC have a record of sole traders or partnerships?

How can people do KYC (Know Your Customer).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X