A part-time alternative to a Managing Agent?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A part-time alternative to a Managing Agent?!

Hi All, Our block is currently run by The Residents Management Committee. They have done a lot of the work themselves to date but are now looking to outsource some of it. They already have a cleaner, a gardener and an accountant but want to employ someone to liaise with the cleaner/gardener/accountant and do the remainder of the work (deal with documentation on sales and purchases, deal with the service charge, make sure the annual insurances are in place, organise necessary maintenance for the building, deal with ad hoc flat owner queries, issue invoices and receipts, deal with Companies House etc.) It is only a small block with around 20 flats over 3 floors and no lift. It wouldn’t warrant a managing agent (who might not be competent and would hike up service charges unnecessarily.) It really needs a person who may have worked at a managing agent company previously that we could employ say 1 day or ½ a day a week to keep things ticking over. Would anyone know where we might be able to find/ look for such a person? We are based in West London. Any thoughts or tips gratefully received! Many thanks in advance!

Hi,

There are a lot of managing agents that offer admin assist as well as full administration, for 20 flats approximately £140 per flat per year.

Comment

Not really possible.
      1) agent keeps the cleaner, a gardener and an accountant "on the books" but from what you say, whoever you employ IS going to look after the WHOLE caboodle.

Sorry, no, you want to employ some one for 1 day or ½ a day a week, so he cannot work for you 6 days a week, nor answer urgent phone calls 6 days a week.
      • Sorry, call me back in 6 days time
      • Sorry, I can only see workmen on a Wednesday, as that's the day I work.
      • Sorry, cant come out to see your problem, as I am only paid to work one day a week, and that was yesterday, come back in 6 days time.
      • Sorry, i have worked 3 days this week, so call me back in 3 weeks time.
      • Sorry, drains overflowing into your ground floor flat, not my problem till Wednesday in 3 weeks time cos worked 3 days this week.
      No, you NEED a managing agent, pure and simple, end of,

Comment

We have a Managing Agent for 12 dwellings. The cost reflects them managing other blocks. I agree completely with ram.
        how much voluntary work do you expect ?

Comment

It is best to pass it off to a management company.

The starting costs would be £200 per flat (£4,000). In London, they may charge more depending on the type of block

If you employed someone on a salaried basis £9 per hour x 7 hours x 52 weeks = £3,276. There are too many rules and regulations in leaseholder management. So unless, people are on top of it and have back up of an organisation. All you need is one rotten neighbour to cause problems over a service charge dispute or non-payment, then you need the support of a bigger organisation.

The best estates are managed by the residents themselves.

Comment

Thanks everyone for their responses - they are very helpful. Just to give a bit more colour in case that aids the discussion. We have a small and low maintenance block with around 20 flats and no lift. It is currently well managed by the Residents Management Committee ("RMC"). It is extremely rare that something requires immediate attention (in which case first steps could be taken by the Directors) and matters are usually dealt with in a reasonable timeframe of a couple of weeks. The RMC do not provide a 24/7 service and nor do we think that is necessary. The estimate is that if the time required was aggregated, it would probably come to 1/2 a day a week, but we appreciate it would probably be unlikely we could get someone for that, and that 1 day a week might be more realistic. The reason for seeking to delegate some of the work is that there are now few flats which are owner occupied. This website seems to be full of reviews of Managing Agents who have not done a good job, so we are also warry of that route for that reason. We also think that having 1 person with the right skill set engaged with, say some agreed timelines around response times and visits to the block, would lead to more accountability. In addition, we would like to keep on our gardener, cleaner and accountant, who have been loyal to us for many years, and who we trust, rather than have a managing agent engage "all their people". Perhaps we are a little "old school"! Against that backdrop, are there any other thoughts or ideas around how we could locate such a person with the necessary skills or how we could achieve an outcome along these lines? If the consensus is still that this is unrealistic, could anyone suggest a suitable managing agent that they can recommend and have had a good experience of in terms of service and cost? As a reminder, we are in West London. Many thanks again - all input appreciated!

Comment

This seems to have mainly positive aspects. Consider a reputable comprehensive, builder,plumber and electrician working together for practical property care. Leaseholders able to contact and accept responsibility for payment. If a service charge expense then paid from it.
              I would suggest advertising with local job centre outlining requirements. It might well appeal to someone self employed wanting to develop a business. I understand your concerns about MAs.
              Apologies if the last sentence #4 was not to an acceptable level of courtesy. It's just that having given a lot of my time freely, to advantage of others I sometimes react wrongly. It is clear now there is a cooperative attitude. Sorry again.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dissolve company and regain shares
                by LaraJara21
                Good afternoon

I am the director of a small a residents management company / limited company and We want to dissolve the limited company so each freeholder can regain their own shares. I would be extremely grateful if someone could advise on if this is possible and if so, how do we that?...
                22-09-2021, 11:35 AM
              • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                by ram
                As above post number 2

The Limited company owns the building, and the flats. ( R.M.C )
                The leaseholdrs become members of the Ltd company and shares are issued to each flat ( one share per flat )
                They then have a share in the company that owns the freehold ( they are not freeholders,
                22-09-2021, 21:22 PM
              • Negotiating a lease extension
                by LizLease
                Hi all, I am new to the forum.
                I am looking to extend the lease on a flat (currently under 70 years).
                I received a quote from the freeholder and a valuation from a surveyor (£3k lower than the freeholder's figure).
                I spoke to the leasehold Advisory Service who said to ask the surveyor...
                21-01-2021, 12:44 PM
              • Reply to Negotiating a lease extension
                by sgclacy
                If you were to challenge the costs afterwards, almost certainly it would be dealt with as a paper review and is not as daunting as it might seem . The Tribunal generally think that around £350 plus VAT for dealing with the Section 42 Notice of claim and circa £1000 plus vat for the deed of surrender...
                22-09-2021, 13:38 PM
              • Reply to Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by Gordon999
                I have some faint recollection that a complaint of " in-house legal team" was raised before a LVT or FTT Tribunal and Chairman decided "in-house team" did not qualify as "solicitor", who are required to conduct CDD ( Client Due Diligence ) before taking...
                22-09-2021, 12:28 PM
              • Renewing the lease and sublet charges
                by mpppen
                I've just about finished the tortuous process of renewing the lease at a flat we own bringing it up to 170 years and no ground rent (yay).

It is rent out and I do keep getting sublet registration demands from an infamous mgm company on here.

I've read back through the forums...
                21-09-2021, 18:47 PM
              • Reply to Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                What is wrong with the following process to register the "Deed of Varation"

All that is required of me is to get the "Deed of Variation" registered with the Land Registry and provide a copy of the new lease to the Company Secretary.

The Process.
                22-09-2021, 12:16 PM
              • Example "Deed of Variation" for extending the lease term.
                by Lat
                I have tried google but there is very little to show. Does anyone have a redacted example of a "Deed of Variation" that they have had to sign?

The criteria in my case is...

1. Shared Freehold flat in block of flats
                2. Freeholder is Residents Company Ltd with...
                04-09-2021, 11:24 AM
              • Reply to Dissolve company and regain shares
                by Gordon999
                The RMC has legal rights under the lease to administer the service charge account and demand annual service charge contribution from leaseholders. . It should not be dissolved because it holds the freehold title of the building.

If you transfer the freehold title to the leaseholders,...
                22-09-2021, 12:05 PM
              • Right to Manage Costs
                by Pariah81
                Hi,

I am part of a residents association that is exploring right to manage (RTM).

We are a 30 flat block in the Ealing area.

We want to get advice on the process so how much should we be expecting to pay for our legals?

I'm also aware we have to pay...
                21-09-2021, 13:48 PM
              Working...
              X