Definition of "Material Change" in Lease.....?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Definition of "Material Change" in Lease.....?!

Hi There,

I was hoping for some guidance, if possible? I am on the ground floor of a small block of flats (2 stories high, about 20 flats). I'd like to change a cupboard and walk in ladder that I currently have into a second shower room and toilet. The lease says that you can't "make or permit or suffer to be made to the demised premises or any part thereof any material change or addition thereto whatsoever." I need to check if the walls in question are structural - my sense is they aren't. New pipes in any event would need to be run. I don't know if anyone else has made this change.
    My question is whether there is any agreed definition of "material" in leases - and whether, based on the above facts, anyone thinks that the change I have in mind might be possible - i.e. they would regard it as not caught by this wording? Any assistance gratefully received! Many thanks!

"Material" is question of degree. I think that changing a larder to a shower has to be a material change.

Comment

Converting a "ladder" into a shower seems more magical than material to me
      But seriously what is the chance your freeholder will ever find out ? Only issue is when you come to sell , and then you have to say "it was always like that!".

Comment

Good spot on the "ladder" typo - sorry about that! Thanks so much for the responses. I think you're right - it's probably hard to say it's not material. I think it's likely that the freeholder wouldn't find out. I think the only sign of it occurring would be when the work is being done (which would be part of a general refurbishment) and whether any of the other flats might notice if any outside pavement was dug up to temporarily to allow access to the pipes. More broadly I wondered it if might impact the insurance taken out on the building? I think you are right also about the disclosure form on sale. I suppose if I say I took down internal walls, it's likely I will be asked to evidence permission for this, and I won't be able to do that. Just thinking it through, what is the worst that could happen? Is it that I could be told to "put it back to how it was" if the Residents Management Committee found out, or that I would have to reinstate it for sale, if it was picked up on selling that there was no permission for it? Thanks so much again!!!

Comment

You won't be able to say "it was always like that" as there will be a copy of the floor plan on your lease.
          You would need to inform the freeholder if you want your new fixtures and fittings to be covered under their buildings insurance policy. These are not usually covered under contents insurance policies unless you have made special arrangements to do so.
          If your new shower leaked and caused damage you might find yourself in trouble if you have no insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by HELPPLEASE123 View Post
            I suppose if I say I took down internal walls, it's likely I will be asked to evidence permission for this, and I won't be able to do that. Just thinking it through, what is the worst that could happen? Is it that I could be told to "put it back to how it was" if the Residents Management Committee found out, or that I would have to reinstate it for sale, if it was picked up on selling that there was no permission for it? Thanks so much again!!!
            The worst that can happen is that you lose the flat under forfeiture for breach of lease covenant

Comment

Originally posted by Harwood View Post

The worst that can happen is that you lose the flat under forfeiture for breach of lease covenant
              Hypothetically, that's the worst that could happen, but realistically it won't happen unless 'HELPPLEASE123' doesn't act sensibly.

There will almost certainly be a clause in the lease that potentially allows for forfeiture of the lease for breaches of this type, but in reality this means the loss of the cost of putting the flat back to its original state or the cost of whatever premium the freeholder (or relevant company) demands for retrospective consent plus any costs involved with this (including costs of checking the quality of the work and altering the lease) AND the cost of any legal action that the freeholder takes to reach the remedy they require.

If you can't afford to get pay the costs involved, you would be expected to sell the flat at a price that reflects the fact that the buyer will have to pay these costs (which in reality means a reduction in price that is more than the expected costs).

If there is any suggestion of court action pursuing forfeiture you will need to do whatever you can to agree a solution quickly - because the legal costs you will otherwise end up being expected to pay could be very high, and would be in addition to the cost of remedying the breach.

Of course, all the above would only be possible if you went ahead with alterations without permission.

Best case scenario is that you find out that the lease doesn't include anything that prohibits the type of alterations that you wish to make. In this case there may be no cost to you at all.

Comment

Thanks Macromia. I agree with your best case scenario, but think I will struggle to be able to evidence that the lease permits this when there is a provision in the lease saying that you can't "make or permit or suffer to be made to the demised premises or any part thereof any material change or addition thereto whatsoever."

Thanks so much though for everyone's thoughts and advice and for all the time you have all taken to respond. I really do appreciate it.

All the best

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Notice fee
                  by Paulsen
                  I am remortgaging my flat and the solicitor has sent a letter to the freeholder asking for a notice fee. I have done it directly to the freeholder and not the MA as we both are in dispute with the old MA and are doing a joint complaint. She probably wouldn’t know how much to ask for and I asked my...
                  04-04-2020, 15:14 PM
                • Reply to Notice fee
                  by Section20z
                  The question of the fee is invariably asked with the standard LPE1 enquiries and therefore comes as no surprise and there is no justification for subsequently not paying it. The example I gave above referred to an auction purchase where a foolish purchaser failed their due diligence....
                  09-04-2020, 17:35 PM
                • Reply to Notice fee
                  by Lawcruncher
                  If you ask the freeholder what his fee is there is no obligation to respond. You do not though want to be asking. Just get on and serve the notice and (a) if the fee is fixed pay the amount specified; (b) if a minimum fee is specified pay the minimum; (c) if a reasonable fee is specified send £10; (d)...
                  09-04-2020, 15:35 PM
                • Reply to Notice fee
                  by Paulsen
                  Can the Freeholder ignore the request of a notice fee? What happens if they don’t respond?
                  09-04-2020, 13:53 PM
                • Reply to Freeholder requesting 'license fee' for AST
                  by Paulsen
                  Hi my lease is similar, would the fee be payable every time you get a new tenant? Does it have to be requested by the freeholder?
                  09-04-2020, 13:45 PM
                • Freeholder requesting 'license fee' for AST
                  by RHibbert
                  I own a leasehold flat which is renedt out on an AST and my freeholder is constantly finding new ways in which to nickle and dime us leaseholders for extra costs. The latest is a 'Subletting Licence' for which an annual rent of £48.00 is charged. The freeholder cites a clause in my lease relating
                  06-04-2020, 15:34 PM
                • Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
                  by Sharon
                  Hello, I would like to remove a non-load-bearing stud wall in my flat. It will change the layout inasmuch as I will be stealing some of the space from my entrance hall and creating a larger living room as a result. So no real increase in value of the property as a result, just a matter of taste....
                  08-04-2020, 15:46 PM
                • Reply to Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
                  by Lawcruncher
                  • Even though there will be no increase in value of the property following this work, would the Freeholder be entitled to still ask me for money in exchange for permission?

Since the lease says that you must not make alterations without consent, the consent must not be unreasonably withheld....
                  09-04-2020, 10:17 AM
                  by jpkeates
                  Could be - it would make sense....
                  09-04-2020, 09:48 AM
                  by MdeB
                  I thought there was a judgement that such charges could be increased in line with inflation even if the lease did not provide for it.
                  (sorry, no reference, just recalling, maybe imperfectly, replies to a thread in the last couple of years)....
                  09-04-2020, 09:22 AM
                Working...
                X