Section 20 Major Works: undisclosed connection between landlord and winning bidder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section 20 Major Works: undisclosed connection between landlord and winning bidder

Hi, our landlord is running a section 20 consultation for a major works contract. He obtained three quotes, one very high, the second very slightly cheaper and the third very low. The third was disqualified, purportedly on the grounds that they must have misunderstood the job. The second bidder has therefore won the job, and we have now discovered that this contractor is in fact owned by our landlord! We suspect he waited for the first bid to come in (possibly even asking the contractor to bid on the high side) and then submitted a slightly cheaper one in order to win. I know the landlord is obliged to disclose any connection with a contractor for Qualifying Long Term Agreement consultations, but strangely there doesn't seem to be a similar obligation for Major Works consultations - the only thing I can see is the obligation to obtain at least one quote from a non-connected bidder. Is there anything we can do to challenge this selection?

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Previous long leaseholder sold us flat with service charge outstanding
    by Macromia
    If a landlord takes action to recover unpaid service charges in the county court they can ask the court to add interest regardless of whether or not the lease contains a provision allowing interest.

Any interest would be 'awarded' by the court as a part of the court decision rather than...
    25-02-2020, 17:59 PM
  • Previous long leaseholder sold us flat with service charge outstanding
    by Davidy
    Previous leaseholder sold us flat with service charge outstanding, We have had to pay the service charge or the freeholder would have forfeited the lease. Our solicitor is being totally unhelpful. Can we issue a Money claim against the previous leaseholder for the amount we have paid and if so on what...
    22-02-2020, 21:56 PM
  • Reply to Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
    by Macromia
    To pursue forfeiture as a result of service charge debt you would need to have evidence that the leaseholder had admitted that they owed the sum that you were demanding (or, at least, that they owed enough for forfeiture to be a theoretical possibility - at least £350).
    This means that you preferably...
    25-02-2020, 17:52 PM
  • Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
    by Emilycarter
    Hi, I am a co-freeholder and one of the Leaseholders
    has not paid their charges for two sets of s.20 works. There is no dispute, managing agent has simply not received replies to emails and letters. We suspect the service charge recently issued will also remain unpaid.

Reading some...
    25-02-2020, 14:10 PM
  • Reply to Windows poor condition, how to get freeholder to repair/replace
    by Macromia
    If I were honest, I'd have to say that my course of action in this situation would likely be to write to the freeholder pointing out that the window frames were rotten as a result of their negligence and now needed replacing.
    I would ask them for written permission to replace the windows and suggest...
    25-02-2020, 17:35 PM
  • Windows poor condition, how to get freeholder to repair/replace
    by hapjac
    Hello all, lurker here, first post.

I own a purpose built flat from the 70s, which has original crittall windows (steel frames, wooden surrounds) in it. The windows are becoming rotten from the exterior, and need replacement.

The lease states:

1. The Lessor hereby...
    23-02-2020, 01:44 AM
  • Reply to Variation of lease
    by Macromia
    RPI is just one of several ways of measuring inflation. It produces an average percentage figure for price increases over a given time period.

If the increase in ground rent is linked to RPI, the increases will not be known until they become due - they could be lower than the amounts currently...
    25-02-2020, 17:19 PM
  • Variation of lease
    by scampicat
    I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
    25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
  • Reply to Variation of lease
    by TruthLedger
    From my understanding of RPI (and someone can correct me), the percentage is not fixed. The current RPI is 3.1% and it's projected to increase to 4.2% in 2024.

RPI ground rent is calculated based off the current value of the property. Say, your property value increases to just £10,000...
    25-02-2020, 15:40 PM
  • Reply to Windows poor condition, how to get freeholder to repair/replace
    by hapjac
    Thanks for clarifying comments and insight on the tribunal.

I actually have maintained them by repairing and repainting once in three years, after moving in. But I planned to replace the windows, so didn't worry about spending excessive time trying to maintain the poor current condition....
    25-02-2020, 15:29 PM
Working...
X