Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting rid of a build in wardrobe

Hi all,

I am in the process of buyig a leasefold flat (110 years remaining). The master bedroom has a build in wardrobe, which is shown on the footprint. The flat has a second box room, which I intend turning into a walk-in closet as I live on my own and have plenty of things I need to store away. The reason I am thinking to get rid of the wardrobe is: 1) because I would rather have a bigger bedroom, and 2) because the wardrobe is on the wall that the room shares with the bathroom and I can see already mould inside it, which will actually ruin my close long-term. My lease says that I cannot do any structural alterations and/or remove any of the landlord's fittings. The agent told me that getting rid of it shouldn't be a problem as it is not classified as a structural alteration, and I have seen some of the comments here saying the same. I don't like the idea of asking the landlord and being changed £100s for just getting rid of it, however, as it apears on the floor plan I don't want to breach the lease and have to pay retrospectively if the landlord finds out, or when I sell it in the future and I am asked by the new buyer's solicitor. In addition, I was told that it might be needed to change the lease and the floorplan.

Any advice?

As a general rule I say always ask. Then you have been open and that should avoid any future problem. For any situation good communication is beneficial. If you ask before exchanging contracts and there are any issues you are forewarned and possibly negotiate price reduction.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X