Options for directors of a limited company to avoid having to manage a block?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Options for directors of a limited company to avoid having to manage a block?

    Can the directors of a limited company that owns the freehold on a block of flats appoint a family member (who is not a director) to manage the property, and therefore 'hide' by preventing direct contact from the leaseholders?
    Or if they are not prepared to be the direct contact, are they required to appoint a 'proper' managing agent
    under Redress Scheme?

    I assume this person is working for free. Otherwise, what is the basis under the lease for paying them? Almost certainly it is that they are a managing agent, in which case they will have to belong to a redress scheme, and comply with any other relevant legislation.

    Is this share of the freehold? Unfortunately with so many absentee landlords, they can end up with directors who won't engage, as well.

    Directors are allowed to hide behind a service address, often the registered office address.


      It is not a share of freehold.

      5 leases (2 commercial, 3 residential). Freehold owned by the limited company. Unable to do RTM or collective enfranchisement because only have 3/5th residential split.

      This person is the father of the 2 directors, and has same name and initials as one of the directors. He is neither a shareholder nor a director himself. He/They are not following the terms of the lease, yet any formal letters or emails we send to the directors (as the owners of the freehold) by way of formal complaint are intercepted by him as the registered address for the limited company is his home address. Also the only email provided is the personal email of the father.

      The father insists on everything in writing by post, and yet is severely dyslexic (which he uses as his excuse to fail to understand what we mean on various things). It is like nailing jelly to a wall.

      He signs all letters to leaseholders as 'his name' (which happens to be the same as one of the directors), followed by 'Consultant', and sends them on headed notepaper of the limited company.
      When we have requested a meeting to discuss various issues, the father is the only who turns up, and plays out a masterclass as rogue landlord.

      We would prefer to self manage or appoint our own managing agent, but he declines self-manage (presumably because his power trip fun would be over) and insists on appointing his own agent, and then telling the agent to bump up the price, for example. They assume that he is the landlord because of the duplicate name, and act on his instructions.

      The lease does not provide for the cost of the managing agent to be recovered from the leaseholders via the Service Charge, yet he/they still include it. Also, he/they add in various other expenses which are not permitted within the lease.

      3 years running his appointed managing agent has resigned prior to the end of their 12 month initial term.

      He/the freehold company has now written to us to say the agent no longer involved and all correspondence to go to the registered address / his home address.

      So.…. our aim is to inform the directors that their father cannot act as the 'consultant' as he is effectively a managing agent and would have to be a member of Redress Scheme. By not being a member it is denying us the opportunity to raise a formal complaint.

      A couple of years ago, he appointed a managing agent (a limited company) which we then discovered he was the sole director. The local council became aware that the managing agent (limited company) was operating without Redress Scheme
      . They successful fined the company £5,000 (max fine) but the company was folded and the fine never paid.


        So effectively, what we are trying to establish is whether a Ltd Co can use a consultant to manage their affairs, or would that consultant be classed as 'Managing Agent' and therefore need to be under Redress Scheme. We suspect the answer to that is yes, Redress Scheme would be required.
        If the father magically changed his status from 'consultant' to employee, would he avoid the requirement to be under Redress Scheme?

        And secondly, is there any angle to enforce a meeting solely with the actual owners (the directors of the limited company that owns the Freehold), so the father is not in attendance/involved?


          Can't see any easy solution for you on this I'm afraid aside from the FTT (expensive , time consuming & incompetent) but you might just check collective enfranchisement eligibility as I believe it's 25% of floor area that counts. If you have 3 very large flats you might wing it ?


            Agree, have no interest in going down FTT - for the reasons you have eluded to.
            Collective Enfranchisement.... interesting.... i
            s the 'no more than 25%' applied only to the ratio of internal floor space in commercial units versus floor space in residential units? ie only assessing the building, or does an outside car park (referred to in the lease as being part of "Common Parts") come into the equation?
            I have just read elsewhere that where Common Parts are common to both residential and commercial, then they can be counted as residential for purposes of Collective Enfranchisement.


              Source: www.leaseholdinfo.com/tag/leaseholders/

              "I want to buy my freehold and there is a commercial element in the building, can I do this?
              The short answer to this: yes, provided that the area in question does not take up more than 25% of the building.
              The test can be complicated to apply, but essentially you are looking for a precise measurement of the net internal floor area of the property, compared with the net internal floor area of the remainder of the building. There are a number of rules that need to be applied to determine how common parts are dealt with.
              Generally, if these are common to the commercial and residential they can be counted as residential, but if they are wholly commercial, they count within the commercial areas. In anything but the most blindingly obvious case, specialist advice, including specialist measurement advice should be obtained."


                You have to demand your local MP to sort out this problem and get the 25% restriction on floor area removed. ( 25% is an artificial legal barrier imposed by Housing Department Senior Servants working under a Housing Minister, who has never bought a leasehold property ).



                  Aha, that's interesting about the common parts rule, I'd not heard that but my gut feeling is if the car spaces are not specifically allocated to the businesses then you could rightly include them but I have no experience so you'd best get qualified advice, as it's possible you could become liable for the landlord’s legal costs once you start the process.
                  It might work as a bargaining chip for an informal approach at least..... good luck.


                    Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                    You have to demand your local MP to sort out this problem and get the 25% restriction on floor area removed. ( 25% is an artificial legal barrier imposed by Housing Department Senior Servants working under a Housing Minister, who has never bought a leasehold property ).
                    Is this really something a local MP can/will do on an individual case basis?


                    Latest Activity


                    • Reply to Previous long leaseholder sold us flat with service charge outstanding
                      by Macromia
                      If a landlord takes action to recover unpaid service charges in the county court they can ask the court to add interest regardless of whether or not the lease contains a provision allowing interest.

                      Any interest would be 'awarded' by the court as a part of the court decision rather than...
                      25-02-2020, 17:59 PM
                    • Previous long leaseholder sold us flat with service charge outstanding
                      by Davidy
                      Previous leaseholder sold us flat with service charge outstanding, We have had to pay the service charge or the freeholder would have forfeited the lease. Our solicitor is being totally unhelpful. Can we issue a Money claim against the previous leaseholder for the amount we have paid and if so on what...
                      22-02-2020, 21:56 PM
                    • Reply to Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
                      by Macromia
                      To pursue forfeiture as a result of service charge debt you would need to have evidence that the leaseholder had admitted that they owed the sum that you were demanding (or, at least, that they owed enough for forfeiture to be a theoretical possibility - at least £350).
                      This means that you preferably...
                      25-02-2020, 17:52 PM
                    • Leaseholder not paid s.20 charges
                      by Emilycarter
                      Hi, I am a co-freeholder and one of the Leaseholders
                      has not paid their charges for two sets of s.20 works. There is no dispute, managing agent has simply not received replies to emails and letters. We suspect the service charge recently issued will also remain unpaid.

                      Reading some...
                      25-02-2020, 14:10 PM
                    • Reply to Windows poor condition, how to get freeholder to repair/replace
                      by Macromia
                      If I were honest, I'd have to say that my course of action in this situation would likely be to write to the freeholder pointing out that the window frames were rotten as a result of their negligence and now needed replacing.
                      I would ask them for written permission to replace the windows and suggest...
                      25-02-2020, 17:35 PM
                    • Windows poor condition, how to get freeholder to repair/replace
                      by hapjac
                      Hello all, lurker here, first post.

                      I own a purpose built flat from the 70s, which has original crittall windows (steel frames, wooden surrounds) in it. The windows are becoming rotten from the exterior, and need replacement.

                      The lease states:

                      1. The Lessor hereby...
                      23-02-2020, 01:44 AM
                    • Variation of lease
                      by scampicat
                      I own a flat with a lease of 125 years starting from 2012. The ground rent is at present £150 pa, but increases as follows every ten years: £225... .£337.50.... 506.25.... 759.38.... 1139.06.... 1708.59.... 2562.89 ....3844.34. There are no more increases after eighty years. I am considering a variation...
                      25-02-2020, 08:57 AM
                    • Reply to Variation of lease
                      by Macromia
                      RPI is just one of several ways of measuring inflation. It produces an average percentage figure for price increases over a given time period.

                      If the increase in ground rent is linked to RPI, the increases will not be known until they become due - they could be lower than the amounts currently...
                      25-02-2020, 17:19 PM
                    • Reply to Variation of lease
                      by TruthLedger
                      From my understanding of RPI (and someone can correct me), the percentage is not fixed. The current RPI is 3.1% and it's projected to increase to 4.2% in 2024.

                      RPI ground rent is calculated based off the current value of the property. Say, your property value increases to just £10,000...
                      25-02-2020, 15:40 PM
                    • Reply to Windows poor condition, how to get freeholder to repair/replace
                      by hapjac
                      Thanks for clarifying comments and insight on the tribunal.

                      I actually have maintained them by repairing and repainting once in three years, after moving in. But I planned to replace the windows, so didn't worry about spending excessive time trying to maintain the poor current condition....
                      25-02-2020, 15:29 PM