Property management asking for pet form fee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property management asking for pet form fee

Hi, I was wondering if this is legal as I own a 3 bed apartment outright (no mortgage) and there is a leeshold by the property management team. It says in the leesehold original details "you can have a pet if you get prior consent and the leeseholders cannot unreasonably decline" kind of wording. Now I have asked and they have sent me a form asking what breed of dog etc (I havent even got the dog) and asking for £75 just to check if I can have one. Is this even legal? It seems very unreasonable to me and annoying.

Unless it is in the contract/lease or is something to meet a legal requirement I doubt it is enforceable

Comment

This is in the wrong forum. It is a long leasehold question, and the tenant fees act doesn't apply to long leases. You really need to do a lot reading up on leasehold.

I would say that they could reasonably refuse if you don't pay the reasonable costs of processing the request. Whilst £75 sounds a high cost to me, it isn't that far off the inflation corrected figure for what has been considered a reasonable fee for processing permission to sub-let, so I couldn't guarantee that a request to the FTT to rule it an unreasonable administration charge would succeed.

Please note that, if you didn't receive a formal notice of your right to challenge it at the FTT the demand doesn't legally exist. On the other hand that doesn't mean you get permission by default, so you had probably better forget that detail.

Comment

AFAIK LL can still charge a fee for his consent.
        Also he can prescribe the type, breed and number of pets allowed and increase the rent to defray FW&T caused by the pets.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X