Being removed as a director from freeholder company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surreygirl View Post
    ...it does appear that we are. Because the Agenda for the meeting says "appointment of Directors" but we already are Directors.
    Ah hah! Sure, isn't it a standard item on an annual company meeting agenda for "Appointment of Directors". We have it on our AGM agenda every year. Not that we usually get any volunteers, mind. It doesn't mean existing directors are being sacked. That is why you need to see the articles. You MUST see them as a company director.

Are you sure you aren't misresembling what the agenda means? Google AGM agendas.

No managing agent can run their client's company. Only the directors of a company get to run the company. The agent can go and run their own company, innit.

It surely has to say somewhere at CH what the articles are even if model version has been adopted. When was the company incorporated?
    Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

That is interesting MrSoffit. No I have looked everywhere I can for a copy of the AofA in Companies house. I think they have just adopted a standard model version. It was incorporated in 1995.

I didnt realise that it was normal I do have to say. We have never had that but there again we are only using an Agent these past six months. Before we run it ourselves.

Also what is more important. Is it the lease or the AofA. I am reading about directors now in the AofA. I am trying to get my head around it.

It says that if you are 70 then you have to retire and be re-elected. That is me as I have now reached the grand old age of 70. Not sure if I will be re-elected or whether they have any choice not to!!

Comment

"No managing agent can run their client's company. Only the directors of a company get to run the company. The agent can go and run their own company, innit"

The only problem with that is that we as the Directors rarely agree. The lease is the problem as it is almost unworkable and so we have to put in things that are not there or read things which are poorly written and can mean a few different things ie "paint the outside of the flat every three years" Well that means that we are responsible ourselves for painting and organizing the outside painting. Some have small flats and some have large and so no one agrees to how much someone should pay if we have it painted together etc etc.

I keep asking to change the lease but it falls on deaf ears.

Comment

It says that if you are 70 then you have to retire and be re-elected. That is me as I have now reached the grand old age of 70. Not sure if I will be re-elected or whether they have any choice not to!!
          I do believe that the Companies Act removed the upper age limit too. Just the younger age limit.

Problem is, articles can either add more rights than the CA 2006 or be overridden by the CA 2006. The only sane way to go is to google as many terms as you can think of and read all the legal websites that pop up.
          Do not read my offerings, based purely on my research or experience as a lessee, as legal advice. If you need legal advice please see a solicitor.

Comment

The only problem with that is that we as the Directors rarely agree. The lease is the problem as it is almost unworkable and so we have to put in things that are not there... [...] I keep asking to change the lease but it falls on deaf ears.
            Never wise for a landlord to rewrite the lease. All goes well until somebody gets miffed or needs to put up a stout defence against debt recovery action. Suddenly they are a barrack room lawyer and a lease purist. Though not pure enough to pay their service charges. Tribunals cases I've read aren't big on irony.

Rarely agreeing is fine if the articles allow majority voting. If directors refuse to follow the majority decision they are failing in their duties to the company. The comnay's needs is beigger than any individual's. Not that many leaseholders get this, mind. It's 'all for one and that one is me'.

Comment

"Rarely agreeing is fine if the articles allow majority voting. If directors refuse to follow the majority decision they are failing in their duties to the company. The company's needs is bigger than any individual's. Not that many leaseholders get this, mind. It's 'all for one and that one is me'

Well that is true and I think that it does allow for majority voting, but not very helpful if, like me you have the smallest flat and although the lease says that Leaseholders are responsible for painting the outside themselves and which the Leasehold tribunal have said that my payment is a one eighth of the decorations the others do not accept that and they all have two bed flats which go right across the house whereas my own is half of the house. So how do we get over that hiccup!! Not only that I am expected to pay for the damp proofing on top of that!!

Any clue. I know I shall be outvoted on the 15th when we have our meeting to keep the service charge low. The lease doesnt allow for a reserve or sinking fund and it is defective in many other ways ie it doesnt include foundations and a whole host of other anomalies!!

Comment

...although the lease says that Leaseholders are responsible for painting the outside themselves and which the Leasehold tribunal have said that my payment is a one eighth of the decorations the others do not accept that ... Not only that I am expected to pay for the damp proofing on top of that!!

Any clue. I know I shall be outvoted on the 15th...
                What the others accept or not is irrelevant if the tribunal made a clear decision. Otherwise if the tribunal left bits undecided, the lease decides, even if it is unfair. You say a tribunal determined your contribution for 'decorations' is one eighth - so be it.

Why did the tribunal simply decide on 'decorations'? What was the context? What is the apportionment for service charges generally? Sometimes it is based on floor area, sometimes it is a crude % based on total flats. Sometimes it is a real dog's dinner that makes barristers a nice living.

Your only defence is the lease and whatever bit of it the tribunal decided if that was not challenged within the timeline for appeal.

Comment

"What the others accept or not is irrelevant if the tribunal made a clear decision. Otherwise if the tribunal left bits undecided, the lease decides, even if it is unfair. You say a tribunal determined your contribution for 'decorations' is one eighth - so be it.

Why did the tribunal simply decide on 'decorations'? What was the context? What is the apportionment for service charges generally? Sometimes it is based on floor area, sometimes it is a crude % based on total flats. Sometimes it is a real dog's dinner that makes barristers a nice living".

Your only defence is the lease and whatever bit of it the tribunal decided if that was not challenged within the timeline for appeal.Because all the other things are listed as a one sixth share ie roof, garden, etc. However as we have to paint the outside of our flat ourselves. Easy for me as I do not need scaffolding. I agreed that we should have it all done together but that I should pay a lower price as mine is the smallest of the flats and only have two walls and I can quite literally paint it myself which I have done at times. But if they paint it then scaffolding is required and of course it is that much more expensive for those flat who need it. So they all decided that my share should be a one sixth but I thought that was unfair and so I applied to the tribunal for the decorations. I forgot to ask about repair as well so it just for the painting, however they have all been reluctant to have it painted because the larger flats do not want to pay the one fourth that has been set out by the Leasehold.

Well it is a dogs dinner I do have to day. It should be based on floor area and then we would all know where we are. The lot that is, but it isnt. I do not know who wrote up the lease but obviously they must have had a few at the time and were over the eight!!.

No they didnt challenge it except to ask if it included repair which they said no it didnt. But of course I forgot that bit and, as you know, they only respond to what you have asked about and really you cannot separate decoration from repair because before you paint you do have to brush it down with a wire brush and fill in holes etc.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
                    by Section20z
                    Yes, your freeholder will likely charge a fee for examing existing and proposed plans, possibly visiting the site and granting approval. Clearly it adds some value to the flat., if only to you.
                    Yes, I expect you need listed building consent.

That being said you have also shown that...
                    08-04-2020, 21:25 PM
                  • Removing Stud Wall in Leasehold Flat
                    by Sharon
                    Hello, I would like to remove a non-load-bearing stud wall in my flat. It will change the layout inasmuch as I will be stealing some of the space from my entrance hall and creating a larger living room as a result. So no real increase in value of the property as a result, just a matter of taste....
                    08-04-2020, 15:46 PM
                    by Stacker
                    So do all the fact finding first so that you are well informed and know what you are up against, also try to get the Conservation officer on board on your side with your idea if you want to go ahead as he or she will be the person to say yes or no. The freeholder can not unreasonably refuse you the...
                    08-04-2020, 18:17 PM
                    by Sharon
                    Thank you very much for responding!

Well, I had 'assumed' that it couldn't possibly be a load-bearing wall, as it is a hollow stud wall, with a panel of glass windows at the top (which was clearly created to bring as much light as possible into the entrance hall), and I know this wall didn't...
                    08-04-2020, 18:00 PM
                  • Notice fee
                    by Paulsen
                    I am remortgaging my flat and the solicitor has sent a letter to the freeholder asking for a notice fee. I have done it directly to the freeholder and not the MA as we both are in dispute with the old MA and are doing a joint complaint. She probably wouldn’t know how much to ask for and I asked my...
                    04-04-2020, 15:14 PM
                  • Reply to Notice fee
                    by Lawcruncher
                    I had assumed it was formal. Anyway, my point is that you are disgruntled because someone refuses to pay you money they do not owe you. I would hazard a guess that you do not go round paying money to people who think they are entitled to it but are not....
                    08-04-2020, 17:55 PM
                  • Reply to Notice fee
                    by Lawcruncher
                    As you say, requiring a notice of a change of tenant is pretty standard and has been for years. Obviously a landlord needs to know if the tenant has changed. However, the requirement to serve notice on the landlord's solicitor and pay a fee (until fairly recently the standard requirement) rather than...
                    08-04-2020, 17:47 PM
                    by Stacker
                    Hi, Firstly how do you know its not a load bearing wall? Has a surveyor or structural engineer confirmed this in writing to you ? A listed property change may need consent from the council Conservation officer? You could put a tentative call in to the officer and email him some ideas then if he gives...
                    08-04-2020, 17:43 PM
                  • Lessor who is also the leaseholders is not complying with LEASE
                    by Stacker
                    Hello, hope you are all doing ok with this self isolating So this is a tricky one both the Lessor who are also the leaseholders are in breach of their own leases, how to enforce? As normally it would be the freeholder enforcing however the leaseholder needs to enforce against the company and other ...
                    07-04-2020, 09:28 AM
                  • Reply to Lessor who is also the leaseholders is not complying with LEASE
                    by Stacker
                    I also found these links which seem helpful - Tribunal Procedure Property Rules http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2.../contents/made
                    08-04-2020, 17:35 PM
                  Working...
                  X