• Show
Clear All

• HazeltonLane
    replied
    Thanks will try that Lawcruncher.

Leave a comment:

• Lawcruncher
    replied
    Post your question here: http://swarblaw.co.uk/viewforum.php?...db33d7b393f027

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    I've seen a report today of a GP surgery that wanted £50 before they would write a "Personalised" letter.
    The requester paid and got a letter that said -

"The patients medical conditions are - {list of conditions} we are sorry but we are unable to give an opinion on how these conditons might affect their daily life."

A simple list of your medical conditions is available free under the data protection act.

As you can imagine the requester is not happy.

Leave a comment:

• HazeltonLane
    replied
    Thanks all for your responses. Sorry—I should have been more clear.

The managing agent was not involved. The questions were sent by our management company (RMC) directors to solicitors we had employed on behalf of the company.

The questions were basically asking about the correct procedures to follow for an FTT application we were making. We were applying for lease variations and had identified four different 'rationales' that we could use, and wanted advice on which of these was most likely to be considered fair and reasonable by the FTT.

However, the solicitor did not answer any of the questions in writing and we eventually arranged a face-to-face meeting to go over them, for which we were billed separately (we were billed for meeting preparation and for the actual meeting itself).

So basically the solicitor looked at the emails, dashed off a quick "I'll get back to you on that" (and never did), and billed us £45 each time.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    Sorry, you have lost me.
    What were the ( general ) questions you asked, as they "could" have been other than normal service charge requests.

Leave a comment:

• Section20z
    replied
    Yes to the first and no to the second. That's ludicrous and means you should first ask for an estimate for the cost of providing an estimate.

Leave a comment:

• ram
    replied
    Depends what the questions w ere.
    I assume you were asking NORMAL questions of the Managing agent, - such as, can i have a copy of the buildings insurance policy, or why was I charged so and so in my service charges, please tell me what the £ xxx were for, then no, solicitiors don;t answer such questions, the agent does.

So what were the questions ?

Leave a comment:

• HazeltonLane
    started a topic Solicitors—is this normal?

Solicitors—is this normal?

I have received an itemised invoice for work done by a large firm of solicitors for our management company. Is it usual for solicitors to charge for (a) 'form' replies to email queries (words to the effect of "I will look into this and get back to you")? We have been charged £45 per reply for several such replies. (The actual advice we wanted was supplied at a later date and billed separately).

Also is it usual for solicitors to charge for providing fee estimates? (£65 per time in our case.)

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Converting front garden into a driveway.
    by ForumFirstTimer
    Hello,

I purchased my ground floor flat last year, its a converted house with 3 flats in. It has a small front garden which is 100% mine within the lease, but it is large enough that it would fit a car on it.

The 'Garden' right now it just patchy weeds.

My question...
    30-03-2020, 15:09 PM
  • Sole Director
    by Stacker
    Hope you are all healthy and safe!....our AOA state that a quorum is required. The sole director has appointed another director, without one shareholder knowing about the meeting my question is would the meeting have been quorate and could the company secretary act ( one they hire not a member) be part...
    29-03-2020, 10:41 AM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by leaseholder64
    Most companies have an exemption from the need for a quorum when appointing directors and the normal expectation is that the remaining director would make the appointment. Your AoA may fail to provide for this case, but the company is behaving in way that would normally be expected in such cases.
    30-03-2020, 12:33 PM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by Stacker
    Yes that's fine if you are a sole director with one member and the AOA state that quorum is NOT required however the
    AOA states directors, quorum required. Meaning plural, the sole director can not act on their own this is breach of fiduciary duty.

Also there are members so the director...
    30-03-2020, 12:13 PM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by Stacker
    Thanks for that however I have just been trawling thro google and found that is not the case if the AOA states quorum required and mentions directors as in plural the sole director can not act for the company or the board as they are a sole director, so meeting needs to be quorate by bringing in a member...
    29-03-2020, 20:28 PM
  • Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
    by eshroom
    My mum has had her flat let out for some time, it is currently unoccupied and given COVID shall remain so for a few months.

The service charge was £20 per month more for her as it was rented. She wasn't happy but went along with it. She asked to have it dropped now that it is not rented...
    27-03-2020, 10:42 AM
  • Reply to Increased service charge when let/unoccupied
    by leaseholder64
    Leases often have clauses about not causing additional expenditure, particularly for insurance, so it might be possible to charge as administration charges, as well.
    29-03-2020, 11:23 AM
  • Reply to Sole Director
    by leaseholder64
    Most AoA allow a sole director to appoint other directors, even though otherwise inquorate. Generally the only other thing they can do is call a general meeting.

The company secretary does not count towards the quorum.

Many RMCs operate without a quorum, even though the director...
    29-03-2020, 11:16 AM
  • Rent Act restricting ground rent
    by Section20z
    One of my ground rent leases has a mechanism for the rent to rise on any assignment "......provided that such rent shall never exceed the amount which would bring this lease within the provisions of the Rent Act 1968 or any Act amending or re-enacting the same"
    The rent should be £650pa...
    27-03-2020, 09:44 AM
  • Reply to Rent Act restricting ground rent
    by Section20z
    Thanks , that makes complete sense and clears up why they would not want a long lease to be covered by the Rent Act.

Of course the buyer was aware of the new rent and should have adjusted premium accordingly. The novel feature here is that the ground rent increases with any "difference"...
    29-03-2020, 08:31 AM
Working...
X